Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Home Safety & Security (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Recommend a nanny camera or hidden camera system (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=188691)

• Feb 26, 2008, 07:30 PM
    baby21blue
    Recommend a nanny camera or hidden camera system
    I am hiring a live-in nanny and like any paranoid but responsible parent I want nanny cams. Can anyone recommend a company or system for me asap. I want hidden cameras. I would like to be able to view my house while traveling via internet. Also I want to record all activity in the house. Please advise. She moves in next week!!
  • Feb 26, 2008, 07:31 PM
    baby21blue
    Quote:

Originally Posted by baby21blue
    I am hiring a live-in nanny and like any paranoid but responsible parent I want nanny cams. Can anyone recommend a company or system for me asap. I want hidden cameras. i would like to be able to view my house while traveling via internet. Also I want to record all activity in the house. Please advise. She moves in next week!!!!

I live in Atlanta, GA in case you know a local company.
  • Feb 26, 2008, 07:41 PM
    oneguyinohio
    I found the link below but I do not know anything at all about the company, and certainly have no ability to make a recommendation. The website looks like they have a variety of systems available.

EyeCu.tv Atlanta's CCTV Camera Monitoring

EYECU.TV - Home

Sorry the first link didn't seem to have contact information.
  • Feb 26, 2008, 08:52 PM
    KISS
    It's doable, but probably not in the time frame you ask.

You'll probably need covert cameras with wireless transmitters. In areas that you can install fixed cameras, you'll have to do a good job hiding the wiring.

A DVR appliance with remote viewing capability and I place to hide it. I don't think I'd be a fan of a dedicated PC with a card.

The number of cameras is a big variable. Audio recording is another.

A router with dyndns and an account so you can locate the IP address of your house from anywhere or a fixed IP address which usually means business class service.

I seriously doubt you can pull this off in a few days.

I went through a similar exercise with 4 cameras, internet viewing, encryption, no audio recently just for giggles just because a comment elsewhere hit the curiosity button big time. Why? Because a PC-based system was installed stopped working for in-house viewing. It did not work once for internet viewing.

I vote for the appliance.
  • Feb 27, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Stratmando
    You could try this or simular:
    Featured Products
    Money is a big factor, how much do you want to spend?
    Use wireless if you have too. I like Hardwire.
    Someone with a receiver will be able to watch and listen to you when YOU are home.
    Wireless is faster, cheaper. They do have smoke detectors with 4 cameras to catch 4 locations.
    Do you have an Attic? Basement, or area under house?
  • Feb 27, 2008, 11:58 AM
    baby21blue
    I am trying to go with the hidden camera in the smoke detector option. I am not a technical person and am getting stuff across the board. I had one company quote me on 2 smoke detectors with built in dvr and a capture card for $800. I had another quote my on stand alone dvr and two smoke detectors for $1100. The later company stated that I would not need a dedicated computer like with the first company. They also stated I would not have the security issues with hackers and other people viewing my home.

What I want- to view my house from anywhere and also playback the recording.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.