Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Photography (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   Confused with cameras... (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=754754)

• Jun 21, 2013, 10:13 AM
    sergie
    confused with cameras...
    Hello everybody,
    I am looking forward to buy a new slr camera, and I am not sure what a slr camera does. I also want to know what does SLR stand for. I want to shoot just the normal pics and shoot the videos. I am not a professional photographer and I don't want to be one. Also, can a 30-50mm lens camera be used for zooming like 40x or 50x. Is 30-50 mm camera and 40x zoom camera is same? Thank you all in advance.
  • Jun 21, 2013, 12:55 PM
    cdad
    You might want to do some reading in this thread as the topic was recently covered.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/photog...ne-737912.html
  • Jun 21, 2013, 01:08 PM
    farvaknowsbest
    SLR stands for single-lens reflex. It allows the photographer to see exactly what the picture will look like through the view finder as opposed to a non SLR camera where what you see through the view finder may not be the what shows up on the photo. Check out the wikipedia article for more info. If you're not a professional photographer than an SLR camera is probably not what you're looking for, but if you got money to burn than why not? As for you question about the Lens I'm not entirely sure.

Single-lens reflex camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Jun 21, 2013, 02:02 PM
    hauntinghelper
    Kind of my point too. If you're not interested in photography as a hobby or profession, why do you think you want an SLR? Even if you have money to burn, there are plenty of non SLR cameras out there that put out some great quality.
  • Jun 21, 2013, 04:45 PM
    cdad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Kind of my point too. If you're not interested in photography as a hobby or profession, why do you think you want an SLR? Even if you have money to burn, there are plenty of non SLR cameras out there that put out some great quality.

This is exactly why I pointed out the other thread on camera selection. Cameras like anything else is a personal choice. But if the OP has more questions then Im sure we can answer them. It appears they are new to the world of photography and there are many misconceptions to work through to make the best purchase that fits what they ultimately want.
  • Jun 22, 2013, 05:36 AM
    smkanand
    I think as beginner you should buy some other camera to understand basics.
  • Jun 22, 2013, 05:52 AM
    J_9
    You can't shoot video with a SLR.
  • Jun 22, 2013, 08:57 AM
    cdad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You can't shoot video with a SLR.

It depends on what your thinking of when saying SLR. A normal SLR camera can not shoot video as it runs on film. A Dslr can shoot video.

The Best Digital SLR Cameras for Shooting Video | PCMag.com
  • Jun 22, 2013, 09:24 AM
    sergie
    Thank you so much to Cdad, farvaknowbst,hunting finger, and J_9. Hey j_9 it has been quite the years since we talk. How do you do? Well, it seems now that, I may not really want a slr camera. I will go for other normal cameras. Thank you all once again for giving me your time..
  • Jun 22, 2013, 09:32 AM
    cdad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sergie View Post
    thank you so much to Cdad, farvaknowbst,hunting finger, and and J_9. Hey j_9 it has been quite the years since we talk. how do you do? well, it seems now that, i may not really want a slr camera. i will go for other normal cameras. Thank you all once again for giving me your time..

Your very welcome. If you have more questions just continue to post them here. Also when you do make your choice and purchase please let us know which one you decided on so others can learn from it.
  • Jun 22, 2013, 03:25 PM
    hauntinghelper
    Hunting Finger?? Ha, I'm sure that was autocorrected ;)
  • Jun 23, 2013, 10:11 AM
    sergie
    To Cdad, thank you once again for commenting on this post. Originally I thought a slr camera must have a good zooming power, thts why I had opt for slr camera, but since slr camera are bit expensive and not worth for people like me, most probably, I will go ahead for a 40x or 50x zoom cameras.
    To Hauntinghelper... am extremely sorry, for mis typing your name... I apologize...
  • Jun 23, 2013, 11:27 AM
    hauntinghelper
    No problem at all... I just thought it was funny. Good luck on the camera search!