Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Medical Conditions & Diseases (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   My husband fell he went to e.r. no broken boness but he is hurting what can I do ? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=827323)

• Aug 30, 2016, 05:04 PM
    deeda boyles
    My husband fell he went to e.r. no broken boness but he is hurting what can I do ?
    Body pain after fall no broken bones
  • Aug 30, 2016, 05:36 PM
    teacherjenn4
    Did the doctor prescribe any medication or mention over the counter alternatives while he was in the emergency room?
  • Aug 30, 2016, 05:56 PM
    J_9
    Follow your discharge instructions.
  • Aug 30, 2016, 06:07 PM
    joypulv
    I take Tylenol and ibuprofin together, or alternating (Tylenol works faster, but both have their dangers to kidneys and liver).
    Have him sleep on the softest thing you have, such as a comforter folded in half. Give him all the pillows in the house and arrange them for him so that they increase from his arms to the top of his head, with one big one to put one arm around, and one under each knee. Do not let him lie on his side with his neck bent! Graduating pillows.
    Give him a bucket to pee in next to the bed.
    No greasy foods or meats, but whatever he wants mostly.
    Watch for bruises all over his body, which may come later. They can hurt a lot.
    Keep him from drafts. If you use AC, turn it off and go sleep somewhere else.
    Lots of warm baths or showers or both. Get a shower seat if needed.
    Put a bell or something by him so he can call for you.
    Get him to gently move his arms and legs like he's in jello. He has to keep moving a little every hour or so.
  • Aug 31, 2016, 09:59 AM
    tickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I take Tylenol and ibuprofin together, or alternating (Tylenol works faster, but both have their dangers to kidneys and liver).
    Have him sleep on the softest thing you have, such as a comforter folded in half. Give him all the pillows in the house and arrange them for him so that they increase from his arms to the top of his head, with one big one to put one arm around, and one under each knee. Do not let him lie on his side with his neck bent! Graduating pillows.
    Give him a bucket to pee in next to the bed.
    No greasy foods or meats, but whatever he wants mostly.
    Watch for bruises all over his body, which may come later. They can hurt a lot.
    Keep him from drafts. If you use AC, turn it off and go sleep somewhere else.
    Lots of warm baths or showers or both. Get a shower seat if needed.
    Put a bell or something by him so he can call for you.
    Get him to gently move his arms and legs like he's in jello. He has to keep moving a little every hour or so.

Really ? She should do ALL THAT ? I would send him to bed, tell him to find his own pillows, get his own pail. He isn't a kid needing coddling. He is an adult who fell and quite frankly, can look after his own well fair. Put a bell beside him so he can call her ?
  • Aug 31, 2016, 10:28 AM
    joypulv
    I gave a worst pain scenario and I have been through it. One time 2 years ago lasted 18 days. 18 days of excruciating mind numbing pain that Vicodin only helped for 2.25 hours of sleep as long as I was positioned in one exact position. It was absolute hell.

It is only fitting that I pass along what I can for anyone who wants to choose what they need from it.
  • Aug 31, 2016, 01:47 PM
    tickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I gave a worst pain scenario and I have been through it. One time 2 years ago lasted 18 days. 18 days of excruciating mind numbing pain that Vicodin only helped for 2.25 hours of sleep as long as I was positioned in one exact position. It was absolute hell.

It is only fitting that I pass along what I can for anyone who wants to choose what they need from it.

That's good Joy that you do that but I am a diabetic with RA and work full time; don't take pain killers so help me god and manage living on my own. And god help me if I ever live with a man who this has happened to, I will ABSOLUTELY tell him to manage on his own and I would never want to give him a bell to SUMMONS me if he needed help. I would install a baby monitor and if it was something he could not possible manage himself, then I would help him.
  • Aug 31, 2016, 03:28 PM
    joypulv
    Why are we fighting? She is free to take it or leave it.
    I live alone on a lot of land on a steep slope in a very rural area. I do all my own work on the whole place.
    I just made my back worse taking half my kitchen apart to find the source of mouse smell.
    I DO take the above mentioned OTC drugs and an very occasional treat of cannabis oil.
    What's wrong with each to their own?
    Why do you harp on this subject every time it comes up?
  • Aug 31, 2016, 03:30 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    That's good Joy that you do that but I am a diabetic with RA and work full time; don't take pain killers so help me god and manage living on my own. And god help me if I ever live with a man who this has happened to, I will ABSOLUTELY tell him to manage on his own and I would never want to give him a bell to SUMMONS me if he needed help. I would install a baby monitor and if it was something he could not possible manage himself, then I would help him.

I wouldn't put this on a dating profile. ;)

To the OP, I think Joys advice is good. I would also go to a chiropractor. It could be that something is out of place that doesn't show up on X-ray, and a chiropractor could really help. Massage therapy could help as well.

Alternating heat and ice on the painful spot can relieve some of the pain.

He most likely bruised something and will be sore for a while. Time heals most wounds.