Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dentistry (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Terrified of the D word (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=406756)

• Oct 16, 2009, 05:43 PM
    frostybabygurl
    Terrified of the D word
    Ok, I'll admit it... I'm a complete chicken when it comes to me having to go to the dentist. The mere thought of going absolutely terrifies me and can send me into hysterics. Now I know that I need to go to the dentist, no ifs, ands or buts.
    What I need to know is whether you can be put to sleep for like everything that they might need to do? Cleaning, examinations etc...
  • Oct 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
    flossie
    Hi Pamela,

Yes, there are options available for you. There are some dentists who offer general anaesthetic for all dental work but you may need to have an examination and x-rays before they'll talk about the anaesthetic. As you know, there are risks involved with GA, death being one of them.

You might want to consider conscious sedation. You are given medication to take before you leave the house and again once you get to the dental office. You are not asleep during the treatment, you can answer questions, ask questions, etc. but you really don't care.

The other alternative would be nitrous oxide (laughing gas).

You really need to phone around or call the Ontario Dental Association. They could direct you to a dentist near where you live who can provide what you need.

If you are in the Guelph, Kitchener Waterloo area send me a private message and I can give you some names.
  • Oct 18, 2009, 03:54 AM
    frostybabygurl

Thanks Flossie, I'll definitely ask around and see what is offered in my area. It's good to know there are options available. I'm just thankful that my daughter loves the dentist and that I don't have to go through this with her.
  • Oct 18, 2009, 03:57 AM
    J_9
    I am terrified as well. I completely understand you. I have shopped around for dentists and talked with them personally about my fears. Fortunately, most of them are very understanding and quite accommodating. Heck, I need to be put under for a cleaning LOL

I recently found one I love and the tension is getting less and less as time goes on. I can now get a cleaning done with NO form of anesthesia, only relaxation techniques.
  • Oct 19, 2009, 07:09 AM
    MagikPoo

I am super terrified too.
    Can you imagine, a huge guy over 6ft tall over 200lbs running from the dentist office? Well that's me.
    Those bastards did me so wrong, when I was young.
    All I remember as a small child was, being hustled me into a waiting room, told me I was getting examined and when I awoke, four of my molars were missing, there was blood everywhere I had cotton in my mouth and the pain was excruciating.
    When I told them about the pain, I was told "don't worry, it will go away in time it never really did.
    As time went by, all kinds of problem happened, my teeth grew in crooked, my tough don't lay at the bottom of my mouth like it should, and it makes me snore. Not to mention huge gaps and caveats, even one that became a giant crator, and I let it rot out then pulled the wrest out and followed a friends advice and sewed it up myself, crazy right?

I only see dentist when I must, I have never ever ever met a dentist I liked, most of them I've has ever addressed this matter.

Even though I can dental help from the VA I refuse to because none of them wish to address my dental terror.
  • Oct 19, 2009, 08:55 AM
    frostybabygurl

Thanks to my fellow terrified friends for posting. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's afraid of the dentist. I've read some crazy stuff online with people doing their own dental work... I may be scared but I certainly am not going to work on my own teeth, I'm certain I would only make it worse lol. It's weird though, I can go to the dentist office when my daughter has to go no problem, I even watched her get her braces put on, it doesn't bother me, but the last time I tried to make an appt for myself I was hyperventilating on the phone and bawling my eyes out. I haven't gone in like 14 years, I know I need to go, I can't put it off, I just know that I'm going to need something to make me completely out of it. I remember going when I wa a teen and the dentist gave me a few needles to freeze my mouth and it never worked, he tried some other measures and they didn't work, my aunt ended up having to have my teeth done under general anesthetic because the dentist said he was worried I was going to punch him. Clearly I haven't had pleasant experiences either.