Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Credit (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Loans past SOL (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=59685)

• Feb 2, 2007, 11:57 PM
    spikesdad
    Loans past SOL
    Hello,I live in Ontario,Canada. I had a couple of loans years back that I couldn't pay at the time.The last payments I made were in 1995.The last couple of years I have rebuilt my credit to a good standing. Recently I have had phone calls from a collection agency on one and calls from a company that buys old loans hoping to get some money on the other.From reading questions here I can see they are way past the SOL and they can't legally sue for them.My question is what can I do to stop the many phone calls,they are computer calls with messages that some days are 5 or 6 times a day.Is there something I can do to stop them? I have a credit bureau watch with a credit card I have and there is no signs of anything yet.I refuse to give theses companies any money knowing that bought these old loans for a few dollars,so any help would be appreciated.
  • Feb 3, 2007, 10:14 AM
    RubyPitbull
    Not sure about the telephone companies in Canada but when these calls come through, do they come from "unknown caller"? Do you have caller id? If not, get a phone that you can see who the caller is. If the caller is unknown, you have the option in your phone service to block unknown callers. Call the phone company and find out how you can use this service and if there will be an extra charge for it. But, be prepared, they may switch to a known number. Outside of telling them not to call you anymore and you will sue them for harassment, the only other way to avoid these calls is to get an unlisted number. It is worth the expense.
  • Feb 3, 2007, 02:05 PM
    CaptainForest
    Hello spikesdad,

Take a look at the Ontario Ministry of Government Services website, specifically on Collection Agencies here:

Collection Agencies - Government of Ontario (Canada)

Scroll down on the main page to “If I feel I'm being treated unfairly by a collection agency, what can I do?”

Or you can click on <Collection Agencies Act> and read the act for yourself.

I did a quick read through, and found this applies to your case.

Quote:

The regulations forbid collection agencies from:
    Quote:

contacting you other than by ordinary mail more than three times in a seven-day period without your consent, once the agency has actually spoken with you;

Since they seem to have broken the standard which they must follow in the Collection Agencies Act, you should consider reporting them.

See The Consumer Protection Branch - Government of Ontario (Canada) on how to report them.
  • Feb 4, 2007, 09:47 AM
    spikesdad
    Thanks for the answers.I have looked into a call blocker that can block any phone number you tell it to,so I will be able to block them as they call with different numbers. I have looked at the govt site and will make a complaint as they broken a few of the rules. Thank you both for the help I appreciate it.
  • Feb 4, 2007, 02:20 PM
    CaptainForest
    You're welcome, spikesdad.