Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Process Server... (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=827595)

• Sep 14, 2016, 12:51 PM
    NorPlan
    Process Server...
    I'm 3rd Party to a Situation where the Process is about to be Started.. The Papers are being served from an Ontario Resident to someone in British Columbia.. The nearest Process Server to the Recipient is 120 km's away.. I'm told there is Mileage Charges figured in the Delivery.. Trying to get an idea of what the Cost to Have Papers Served could be is all.. Cheers Thanks
  • Sep 14, 2016, 01:23 PM
    tickle
    Which part of this do you want us to give an estimate on ? The mileage part, how much they charge per km ? NorPlan, you can get all of this info from the court system. Not exact, but estimate.
  • Sep 14, 2016, 02:02 PM
    NorPlan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Which part of this do you want us to give an estimate on ? The mileage part, how much they charge per km ?

Yes that Would be a Start, as I said I'm 3rd Party.. Somewhat Troubling since one has to start the Process at the Court Office, but yet the Courts have nothing to do with Serving Papers.. The nearest Server being Miles Away doesn't allow for asking the RCMP Detachment in the Recipients Town to Accommodate.. Beauty!
  • Sep 16, 2016, 05:36 AM
    AK lawyer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
    Yes that Would be a Start, as I said I'm 3rd Party.. Somewhat Troubling since one has to start the Process at the Court Office, but yet the Courts have nothing to do with Serving Papers.. The nearest Server being Miles Away doesn't allow for asking the RCMP Detachment in the Recipients Town to Accommodate.. Beauty!

Why don't you ask the court office for the phone number of the RCMP detachment which will serve the papers, and then call that number and ask?
  • Sep 16, 2016, 06:50 AM
    NorPlan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Why don't you ask the court office for the phone number of the RCMP detachment which will serve the papers, and then call that number and ask?

That's the Query, Why if you Start the Process by Filing the Papers at the County Court Office (Canada).. To Initiate the Process has Nothing to do with the Courts even though You've set Tentative Dates with the Courts, Baffiling.. An Independent Server will provide the Service with a Fee for This, a Fee for That, Plus Mileage to Deliver said Papers.. Plus Incidental Fees , All That with No Guarantee the Mission was Successful.. It's A Crap Shoot.. Beauty... btw... Pretty much renders the RCMP unable to assist..
  • Sep 16, 2016, 04:39 PM
    AK lawyer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
    ... All That with No Guarantee the Mission was Successful. ...

It works the same way here in the US. Generally, you can get the police to serve process, but often private process servers will seem have more success getting the job done.

But as Tickle and I wrote before, your best bet is to ask what their rates are. Stands to reason that if it's 120 km away mileage will be pricey.
  • Sep 17, 2016, 05:12 AM
    NorPlan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post

But as Tickle and I wrote before, your best bet is to ask what their rates are. Stands to reason that if it's 120 km away mileage will be pricey.

Thanks for the Comeback... The Delivery Charge is 0.90 cents a KM... ($213.00 Return).. It's the Incidentals ($$$) and No Guarantee it Can be Delivered... Definitely a Crap Shoot, Beauty...