Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Government (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Where Can I Post This Question Help Please (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=12974)

• Sep 22, 2005, 09:52 AM
    violet0019
    Where Can I Post This Question Help Please
    I am new here and not familiar as to where to post certain questions, such as the following which I wish I could place in a type of "GENERAL" place, for all to
    See... in other sites, people would sometimes place them in a section called "TRIVIA" - does this exist on this site? CAN SOMEONE WRITE TO ME TO TELL ME WHERE I CAN POST THIS QUESTION ON THIS SITE FOR ALL TO SEE, AND MAYBE SOMEONE IMPORTANT WILL BELIEVE THAT IT IS A SUGGESTION THAT PERHAPS IS WORTH LOOKING INTO??
    Here is my QUESTION: I live in Montreal Canada, and we follow the news and while watching CNN, during the coverage of Hurricane Katerina, my l5 year old son made an incredible suggestion concerning what is going on with the evacuation of people. The roads were jammed, sadly, so many people trying to leave on the road going OUT... BUT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD LEADING IN TO THE CITY THAT EVERYONE IS BEING EVACUATED FROM - WAS TOTALLY EMPTY!! AND NOW, SO WHY NOT JUST ALLOW THE FOLKS TRYING TO LEAVE,TODAY, RIGHT NOW , IN TEXAS, WHERE THE ROADS ARE JAMMED - WHY NOT ALLOW THEM TO USE THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD SO THAT THERE WOULD BE MORE LANES TO LEAVE THE CITY!! I THINK THIS IS BRILLIANT (NOT JUST BECAUSE IT IS MY SON) AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY THEY ARE NOT THINKING OF THIS, AND IF OTHERS THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA, CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE I CAN WRITE, TO WHOM AND IF THERE IS A CHANCE OF SOMEONE HIGH UP THERE RECEIVING THIS SUGGESTION... OR IS IT USELESS..
  • Sep 22, 2005, 12:11 PM
    wzartv
    It's a great idea for the beginning, but in my opinion, eventually, all the cars have to go somewhere. They will eventually bottle neck somewhere anyway like when the big multilane highway splits into smaller roads.

But if they come up with a good plan, it would be a good way to get people out faster.
  • Sep 22, 2005, 02:40 PM
    NeedHondaHelp
    Houston is doing that as we speak
    Just read on CNN.com that Houston has opened both sides of the highway - the North and South. Your son should look into politics when he's older - he was ahead of the game!
  • Sep 22, 2005, 02:54 PM
    Chery
    Gongrats Violet, you found a good place and your son is a very logical thinking young man. He's got a good start for his future. Looks like you raised a winner.
  • Sep 22, 2005, 06:09 PM
    wzartv
    Wow that's great!!
  • Sep 22, 2005, 08:09 PM
    violet0019
    Hurray...
    Hurray, they finally DID open the other lanes on the other side!! I've been cursing out some of those people who hold "power" each time I saw those empty lanes and the terrible situation of all those people in their cars for hours and hours trying to leave... finally they did it. To everyone, thanks for the compliments on my son's thinking... what a moment of pride, wow!! Yes, SOMETIMES he has such incredible logical thoughts, and then I am so proud and feel good about how I am put my heart and soul into trying to bring up a person who will do good and be kind and have a heart, and be happy! And then... yes, he IS A TEENAGER, and SO OFTEN he has such illogical thoughts, and is so defiant, and is so nasty, etc.etc... and I wonder where did I go wrong?. so, it's moments like these, that erase the negative and make it all worthwhile! (But I also remember when I was a teenager, and so that brings me back to reality! )
  • Sep 22, 2005, 11:51 PM
    psi42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedHondaHelp
    Your son should look into politics when he's older - he was ahead of the game!

Ugh... please. Good, smart people are not meant for politics and business administration. Be an engineer, or a scientist, and actually _help_ people instead of being employed to screw them over.

By the way, that was a really smart idea. I never thought of that...
  • Sep 23, 2005, 12:48 AM
    Chery
    Violet, you got it, our kids can drive us to rage sometimes, but remembering how we rebelled helps us understand that that's all a part of growing up and testing everything to the limit. We can put them into this world, but if we think it stops there, then we are lost to begin with. It takes nurturing and unconditional love for our kids that help them on their way to adulthood. And there are many moments of pride that override the dumb things that all humans do. Expressing this pride often, builds their confidence and we can't go wrong there, can we?

I agree that politics is not the only place - not these days. But there are other organizations that can give one satisfaction in the work we do to help others.

Again, good job!
  • Sep 23, 2005, 04:52 AM
    fredg
    Welcome to AskMeHelpDesk.
    Glad you are here. Actually, you can post anything just about anywhere, under any category. Those who frequent this site on a daily basis, look at all posts, especially those that say "yesterday" or "today".
    See all the comments you have gotten so far? Don't worry about a post not being seen; it will be seen!
    You have a very wonderful son there, and I congratulate you and him. The decision as to whether to open all lanes, both directions, come from either the Governor or another official of a particular State. Fighting politics is mostly a losing battle, until the majority of voters, on one side or the other, decide they have had enough of a particular issue.
    I hope your son stays out of politics. The American people now see many, many politicians as someone who they don't care for! I use to think President Bush was a good President, but have changed my mind somewhat.
    He really boggled this Katrina business, which only points out that his ratings have dropped seriously, and his Party could be in serious trouble during the next elections... not to mention spending so much money oversees; which is now needed here in America.
    Best wishes to you and your son, and keep posting back. You will find everyone (mostly) very nice, and all types of opinions, which also include mine!
    If you wish to be notified by email whenever anyone posts an answer to a question or comment you have posted, you can set that option by going to My Profile, after you log in, at the top.
    fredg
  • Sep 23, 2005, 12:06 PM
    violet0019
    "Don't Get Me Started"!! Re: MY Son :)
    Thanks everyone... I've been reading your replies to my Son and he is feeling quite good :D ! Yes, we need to remember to praise our kids each day, and tell them that we love them - I believe in positive reinforcement, as there are so many negatives that I often find myself overwhelmed with each day in bringing up a child - WITHOUT VIOLENCE, WITHOUT HITTING THEM - as it seems that there are so many things that we disapprove of, or drive us crazy, or try to be enforcing "rules" and discipline, as they are trying to push us to the limit to see how much they can get away with, of course! I think that being a single parent is a very hard job - one has to "BE ON" all of the time, I find that each time I need to deal with an issue with my Son, I need to think before I speak... to try and make sure I am doing the best I can, but it is sooooooooooo hardddddddd!! What a job! To teach RESPECT to kids today is so important, and it is difficult... seeing the world through their eyes - all that is going on, attempting to explain the whys and how's, sometimes leaves me tongue-tied!! Often, I am embaressed, I find I just do not know how to explain the horrific situations that man is in, that man is doing to each other, and to this earth... how do I teach to respect the earth when man is destroying it, to respect each other when they hate and kill each other :confused:... yes, it is a difficult job to have a child today, they hear and see a lot, things that we never did... life is so different... it is very open, and it is so hard to protect them from hearing and seeing what is going on... but they know.To bring up a human being with good morales and values is our primary responsibility - the most important thing in the world!! I have been rescuing animals all of my life, and so my Son has watched this, tagged along, and now has been a volunteer since he is 9 years old - so thank goodness he is sensitive to helping innocent animals. I am so proud of this! He also regularly does other volunteer work with charitable organizations for needy people, also with a city environmental group, and a recycling group, etc. etc... I set them up and so far he WANTS to go -I do not "make him" go - I never find volunteering in places that he feels uncomfortable in... so it is great, for now (the experience of being humble, of being grateful)... well... I have gotten carried away, haven't I!! :o Hmmmmmmm...
    any comments?!
  • Sep 23, 2005, 01:37 PM
    Chery
    Yup, I've a comment again. You are so right - it is hard being a single parent, or raising an only child. But we can be proud of our jobs when we teach 50 things and they accept 25. And the hard part (if you can remember back) is that even a 1 year old will see what he/she can get away with, just to test us, as they grow older their tests are more tedious and it takes a lot of self control not to smack them sometimes. I told my daughter to 'get out of my face' once because I was afraid of saying or doing something that I would be sorry for later. But we both survived this because when she wasn't testing her limits, she was helpful and caring and the love for each other is unconditional. You and I are lucky in that our children could have looked elsewhere for influence which would have lead them to drugs, crime, cruelty, etc. But there is something we did right and we can be proud of our children and ourselves as well. I don't envy the youth of today, there is far too much negative influence worldwide and some do not get the love and guidance our kids did. All you have to do is read the news, even get on a bus, and see what youth is capable of today. It was hard but I see the rewards every day and not too many parents can say the same. We love animals too, and have always had them around us, be they dogs, cats, hamsters, fish, snakes, etc. and they were all treated like part of the family, and we both learned from them too. I am confident that my daughter will be a good mother and your son a good father just because of the way they are thinking about others already instead of being selfish. I just hope that they get the chance before this planet gets wiped out by those who did not learn the values of caring and respect for the environment and others. Just think, in some countries hatred is fed through mother's milk before a child even has a chance to make choices. So brag all you want about your son, dear you both deserve it.