Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Heating & Air Conditioning (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Mobile home heating unit(coleman evcon presidential) (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=162634)

• Dec 14, 2007, 08:23 AM
    jnagolfs
    Mobile home heating unit(coleman evcon presidential)
    The pilot light is on, but the unit won't come on to heat home, could it be the thermal coupling, or is there something else that may be causing it? Last year it did this for a few days, then it worked fine rest of the winter.

Thanks for your help
  • Dec 14, 2007, 08:34 AM
    hvac1000
    The pilot lite would go out if the thermocouple was defective. It has always been required in mobile homes to have 100% safety shut off.
    Since the pilot is lit but the burner will not come on you might check the high limit control. It is a good posibility it is defective and that would cut the power to the gas valve.

Do you have a electric meter and know how to use it?
  • Dec 14, 2007, 08:45 AM
    jnagolfs
    I don't have a meter, and no clue how to use if I did... :( can I replace it myself, or is there a way to check it without using a meter, perhaps some kind of simple tester (live wire) to see if there is power to the HLC?

Thank you, very much
  • Dec 14, 2007, 11:50 AM
    jnagolfs
    I was snooping around a while ago and found a reset button that is inline with switch box just before wires go into blower motor , it was tripped, I reset it and heater came on, this unit is at another location so I left and don't know if it is cycling, now my question is why would that reset button have tripped, does it mean there is a problem perhaps with motor?

Thanks, John
  • Dec 14, 2007, 01:13 PM
    hvac1000
    I believe the thermal overload was tripped. They are designed to trip in high heat conditions and as a warning that something is wrong with the machine OR the thermal overload has lost its factory setting.

Since it is working that is good but with winter upon us you might want to pick a spare thermal overload up and have it handy just in case it decides not to reset next time.
  • Dec 14, 2007, 07:13 PM
    jnagolfs
    Ok here we go, I hope I can be clear, I went back to location where heater is, it hadn't cycled on, (1) I tapped on the thermal overload and the "reset" button came back up, I waited several minutes, it then went through the cool down cycle (blower on/no heat), I waited several more minutes then pushed "reset" button heater then came on stays on 30-45 min then went off again, I then repeated the (1) process described above. Seems like this will work repeatedly. . Can you advise me what most likely the problem is with this unit?

I am thinking defective thermal Overload switch..

Thanks for your time,
    John A.
  • Dec 14, 2007, 10:41 PM
    hvac1000
    Replace the thermal overload with EXACTLY the same one that is in the furnace now. No sustitute unless factory approved.

Go to this site if you need to locate the part and post the exact model number under coleman furnaces unless you have a supplier in the town where you live. They will ship to you UPS and you can use a Credit card.

mobilehomerepair.com :: Index
  • Feb 28, 2011, 12:15 PM
    RickyRae
    There is a recall on some of the coleman evcon furnaces. The problem is something to do with the furnace overheating. Please check this out, as it could be dangerous.