Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Leaky Shut off valves (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=10373)

• Jun 17, 2005, 10:52 AM
    zuckie
    Leaky Shut off valves
    Hi,

I live in the Northeast and for the first time this past winter, I actually used the shutoff valves that lead to my outside water spigots. Now that I've turned them back on, they are leaking whenever the water line is open.

I noticed they have nuts on the front... was I supposed to open or close them at some point? Have I ruined them somehow, or is this a coincidence? Do they need to be replaced or is there a fix?

If they need to be replaced, can I replace the whole line with PVC instead of copper? Is it easy/possible to attach a PVC line to a copper line? I also need to replace one of the outdoor spigots, because it won't turn off. (That's an old problem). I'm more comfortable working with PVC than copper.

Thanks for any help!!
  • Jun 18, 2005, 04:16 AM
    Flickit
    Are the valves located...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zuckie
    Hi,

I live in the Northeast and for the first time this past winter, I actually used the shutoff valves that lead to my outside water spigots. Now that I've turned them back on, they are leaking whenever the water line is open.

I noticed they have nuts on the front...was I supposed to open or close them at some point? Have I ruined them somehow, or is this a coincidence? Do they need to be replaced or is there a fix?

If they need to be replaced, can I replace the whole line with PVC instead of copper? Is it easy/possible to attach a PVC line to a copper line? I also need to replace one of the outdoor spigots, because it won't turn off. (That's an old problem). I'm more comfortable working with PVC than copper.

Thanks for any help!!!

... indoors? You mention nuts... are you referring to the nuts behind the knob that the valve stem fits through? If so and if this is where it is leaking, you can simply fit an open end wrench on them and snug them up by turning them clockwise while viewing them from the front. Doesn't sound like they need replacing but converting to PVC is an option if it absolutely necessary.
  • Jun 20, 2005, 11:31 AM
    zuckie
    The leaky shut-off valves are indoors... in the basement
    The "nuts" aren't really hex nuts, but little round metal knobs on the front of the shut-off (perpendicular to the shut off handle)... I think they might be for bleeding air out of the line?

Also... the water isn't leaking from the nuts...

Thanks for any help!
  • Jun 20, 2005, 12:50 PM
    labman
    The round things are outlets to drain the water out of the line after shutting it off. Where is the water leaking? If it is coming up around the stem, tightening the nut a little should work. If you do decide to replace them, make sure you do not buy more like them, but ball valves instead. They are more quick and easier to use and leak less, both externally and internally