Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cyberculture (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Privacy violation girlfriend used my email (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=421326)

• Dec 2, 2009, 02:40 AM
    miklatino
    Privacy violation girlfriend used my email
    A girl that I was dating entered my Yahoo account and found out about another girl. Can I sue her?
    I am not engaged to this person who accessed my email, nor in a relationship with her... I date her once in a while...
    I believe she has entered my email because her laptop saved the user name and password after I have been using a few times.
    Is this violation of privacy? Thanks.
  • Dec 17, 2009, 11:34 AM
    FadedMaster

I'm not sure on the legal side of this, but what would you sue her for? Have you lost anything of value?

Also, no offense meant, but you are to blame for her accessing your account. She might have even done it on accident. I've gone to check my e-mail at GMail, but was still logged in as my girlfriend.

Besides, since you admittedly accessed your account on her computer, I would assume you have no evidence against her. This is because any information on her computer or any logs that shows her computer/IP address accessing your account can be explained away with you accessing the account via her computer.
  • Dec 17, 2009, 11:52 AM
    JoeCanada76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by miklatino View Post
    A girl that i was dating entered my yahoo account and found out about another girl. Can i sue her?
    I am not engaged to this person who accessed my email, nor in a relationship with her......i date her once in a while.....
    I believe she has entered my email because her laptop saved the user name and password after i have been using a few times.
    Is this violation of privacy? Thanks.

Well she found out about another girl. So that means you had something to hide, right? Sue her for what finding out about your dirty little secrets of other girls?
  • Dec 17, 2009, 06:10 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Sorry, no you can not sue her, and if you by mistake allowed her to know your passwords I am not even sure it is illegal. If she used a program on purpose to find your password

But this is a security issue where you made the mistake.

Next besides just finding out the truth, what else did she do.
  • Dec 20, 2009, 09:45 AM
    JudyKayTee

Depends on how she got the password - a tracking program, a deliberate action on her part to save the info.

And then it comes down to damages in a dollar amount - what would the dollar amount of your damages be?
  • Dec 28, 2009, 10:54 PM
    asking

Does this mean that if someone sees your password posted over your desk, for example, it's legal for them to access your account?
  • Dec 29, 2009, 07:54 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Does this mean that if someone sees your password posted over your desk, for example, it's legal for them to access your account?

It means it's not a crime (from my understanding and I can only speak for NY) UNLESS/UNTIL someone uses your identity to commit some type of fraud or other crime. I can use your password and read your incoming and outgoing emails but could not, for example, get into this site and post in your name - that's criminal impersonation.

Internet Law is very foggy at this point - side issue but there is a case in Upstate NY which involves slander on the Internet but so far it's going nowhere.
  • Dec 29, 2009, 10:17 AM
    JoeCanada76

The whole point to this poster is that he was caught cheating. Now he wants to get revenge on his girlfriend and try to make her look bad and make himself feel better. That in a nutshell.

Who cares if this person feels he was violated. She was, and found out about it. Too bad.

Joe the jerk === hole responder to the rescue.
  • Dec 29, 2009, 10:50 AM
    asking

The OP claims he had not agreed to be in an exclusive relationship. She obviously had a different view... He should not have had to be found out but instead should have just told her he was seeing other women. But he didn't and now wants revenge, though for what is not clear.

He can file a suit to harass her (right?), but from what Judy says, he will lose.

Verdict: OP comes off here as unlikeable!
  • Feb 11, 2010, 12:50 PM
    bulksalty

You can sue anyone for anything, in fact quite a bit of case law (that determines how judges rule today) come from cases that we would consider exceedingly trivial today (stuff like the neighbors pig ate my garden).

However, bringing a lawsuit is a very expensive process because you'll have to pay a lawyer's hourly rate, after you find one who's willing to take such a case, and there's a good chance that if you lose, you'll be paying some of her legal defense costs, as well (especially if the judge considers your case to be in poor taste). Plan on spending upwards of $25,000.

Next time log out and change your passwords frequently if there is information in an online account that is worth protecting.