Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Women's Health (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=357)
-   -   Left groin & down the left leg pain, Hysterectomy didn't work (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=134807)

• Sep 28, 2007, 07:26 AM
    sophathan
    Left groin & down the left leg pain, Hysterectomy didn't work
    I had fibroids and cysts in my left ovaries. Since I had severe pain in the lower left stomach, groin and all the way down on my left leg. The pain is only prominent when I lie down. I am fine during the day, but when I lie down the pain is intense. It looks like one nerve or something. The Doctor thought the fibroids and cysts were the ones which was causing the pain, so I just had a hysterectomy last week and I still have the pain which is worse than before.
    Can anyone help me with this and shed some light.

Thanks
    Sophia
  • Sep 28, 2007, 01:21 PM
    LearningAsIGo
    Have you seen any doctors besides a GYN? It does sound like nerve pain, and could be related to your previous concern. It could also be something happening coincidentally. You might want to ask the GYN for a referral or go get a second opinion.
  • Oct 5, 2007, 09:05 PM
    norawcoffey
    Hi Sophia,

What you're describing does sound like nerve pain. When did the pain begin before the surgery? Have you ever had surgery before the hysterectomy, a C-section, tubal ligation, or any other pelvic surgery? Were your ovaries removed?

It's surprising that your doctor removed your uterus instead of removing the fibroids and leaving your uterus intact, a surgery called myomectomy. A skilled surgeon can remove any number of fibroids of any size without removing the uterus, and ovarian cysts without removing the ovaries.

Did your gynecologist send you to a neurologist for an MRI and evaluation to determine the cause of your pain prior to the hysterectomy?

On the web site www.hersfoundation.org/anatomy there is a video "Female Anatomy: the Functions of the Female Organs" and charts of the nerves that may help you to understand what you are experiencing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophathan
    I had fibroids and cysts in my left ovaries. Since I had severe pain in the lower left stomach, groin and all the way down on my left leg. The pain is only prominent when I lie down. I am fine during the day, but when I lie down the pain is intense. It looks like one nerve or something. The Doctor thought the fibroids and cysts were the ones which was causing the pain, so I just had a hysterectomy last week and I still have the pain which is worse than before.

Thanks
    Sophia

• Nov 13, 2007, 02:08 AM
    SJL001
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sophathan

Thanks
    Sophia

I am experiencing exactly the same symptons; burning pain in ovarian region with same intense pain down the right leg, quite severe. It comes and goes and is very intense at times. I would like to know what is causing this as I do not have ovarian cysts, but do have a Marena fitted.
  • Oct 3, 2009, 06:10 PM
    leelee1006
    I had a hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago and had everything removed due to endometiosis and polycystic ovaries. I am getting that same pain now with pain in the lower back and left side of abdomen. Went to E.R. and they did a cat scan and couln't find anything. They think it might be more endo and scar tissue. So much for hysterectomy. All that did was cause a nightmare at 32 years old and unbelievable menopausal symptoms even with Hormones. This has been a nightmare for me. Now I have to go back to gyno for another surgery to see what's going on. Same thing, when I lay down it is intense for me too. During the day it isn't as bad.
  • Oct 3, 2009, 06:12 PM
    leelee1006
    I had a hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago and had everything removed due to endometiosis and polycystic ovaries. I am getting that same pain now with pain in the lower back and left side of abdomen. Went to E.R. and they did a cat scan and couln't find anything. They think it might be more endo and scar tissue. So much for hysterectomy. All that did was cause a nightmare at 32 years old and unbelievable menopausal symptoms even with Hormones. This has been a nightmare for me. Now I have to go back to gyno for another surgery to see what's going on. Same thing, when I lay down it is intense for me too. During the day it isn't as bad.
  • Feb 13, 2010, 10:09 PM
    iwanttokno
    Test