Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Real Estate Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   A MOTHER trying to PROTECT her family (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=281667)

• Nov 16, 2008, 04:35 PM
    dundeb
    A MOTHER trying to PROTECT her family
    Just wanted to ask if I have a year lease been in
    the unit for 4 months and two shootings ,my window broken out, black mold on the windows and a lot of critters (roaches-spiders)!!!! Been to the office to complain they say there doing what they can but no results so far. I am new to sc carolina so i did not know that this was not good area to raise kids till it was to late for the safety of myself and children i would like to break my lease is it possibly??? As i write there is someone outside shooting we are use to the police coming but to no prevail. I looked over the lease they want a 60 days notice i don't if we can live in this danger for another 60 days please help me what should and could i do thanks.............
  • Nov 16, 2008, 04:41 PM
    N0help4u

Actually you might be able to get out of the lease due to the black mold, but that may take months to prove as well.
    You might just have to move and then prove it in court.
    Take mold samples and photos and get all the documentation you
    Can to prove your case.
  • Nov 16, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Fr_Chuck

What type of lease, most the 60 day notice is at the end of the lease so it does not renew. Normally you will be obligated to the entire lease.

Did you not inspect, walk in and look at the apartment. Merely being in a bad area is not usully enogh to break a lease. But the mold will be if they refuse to fix it.
  • Nov 17, 2008, 07:33 AM
    rockinmommy

Well first, stop TALKING to them. You need to start conducting all communication in writing with them. That way, if you do break the lease and they come after you, you'll have a paper trail. Most leases outline a specific procedure for reporting issues. Also your state landlord / tenant laws will state what's required on your part. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with a link to each state's laws. Each law has a set procedure. In most cases, if you follow all the way through with the appropriate number of written complaints and nothing is done you have some recourse to terminate your lease or something. But it does vary by location.

Also, you have to put your family first. You may very well have to make the decision to illegally break your lease and bail out - regardless of the consequences. If you do take a TON of pictures. I'd get a little notebook and just start jotting down every time you hear gun shots, see the police there, etc. If you bail the landlord / management may or may not even come after you.
  • Nov 19, 2008, 06:09 AM
    N0help4u

Look up sick building syndrome the law + your state and you should be able to get something that will help your case and the best way to go about proving the seriousness of it.

If the mold was not there before, your landlord probably had it washed off with bleach and kept it ventilated and at a temperature that it would not thrive at.