Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Hot Dogs For Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=6618)

• Dec 10, 2004, 06:32 PM
    CAROLEEJOHNSTON
    Hot Dogs For Dogs
    My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You
  • Dec 10, 2004, 07:20 PM
    labman
    Four hot dogs a day, and there are 10 in a pound package? Sounds like too much and too much fat. The hot dogs may be delicious, but are not the carefully formulated, complete and balanced diet that even the cheapest commercial chows provide. For a light eater, I would chose one of the concentrated, meat based dry dog foods, Pro Plan, Iams, Eukanuba, or a house brand. Put out half the recommended amount for a day at each feeding. Take up what isn't eaten in 15 minutes. Do not offer any more food or treats until the next scheduled feeding. Repeat. Adjust the amount to were all you offer is eaten. Check her ribs at least once a week. Compare them to this guide, http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292. This is not easy, but what is good for her to extend her life. With good care, small dogs are fine companions for a long time, always still too short. Grit your teeth and do it. I had a shepherd go 3 days without eating. She was fine, I was a wreck. Your vet will confirm what I say.
  • Dec 10, 2004, 07:47 PM
    CAROLEEJOHNSTON
    Thanks For Your Advice... we Have Tried So Many Dry & Canned Dog Foods & She Turns Her Nose Up At Them... but I Need To Do What's Best For Her Health. So I Will Keep Looking. Suppose I Were To Give Her Cooked Lean Ground Beef?
  • Dec 10, 2004, 08:18 PM
    labman
    Dog nutrition is a very complicated thing. It is beyond most dog owners to formulate a good diet and so easy to use a commercial one. Check her ribs, check that site. I think you will find she is over weight. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog to harm itself when offered food. They do damage the owner's mental state. It is really hard, but in her best interest.
  • Dec 19, 2004, 02:52 AM
    ladyandjan
    What type of food did you find that your dog will eat? Were you feeding your dog table scraps possibly? That would make any dog picky about dog food after it has had a strong taste of what you eat.
  • Dec 19, 2004, 10:03 AM
    speedball1
    Hot Dogs For Dogs
    I have a male Shih Tzu,5 years old, that's also a picky eater. I feed him canned dog food. If he sticks up his nose at it, I wait 15 minutes and stick it in the fridge. That night I take it out agan and offer it once more. Sooner or later he'll get hungry enough and wolf it down.
    Listen to labman, dogs are his thing and he's good at it. I coppied the link he gave you. It's a great help. As for table scraps, my pooch has the pitiful look of a starving animal down pat. It's hard not to resist when you're feeling guilty about eating in front of him but it's for the dogs own well being. Good luck, Tom
  • May 20, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Nana60
    My dog actually gets so picky, she won't eat for 3 days and then vomits bile. I never gave her people food and did the 15 minute thing. She still does this every so often, it usually lasts 3 days. Then she goes back to normal. She likes 1/3 wet food and 2/3 dry... I try to give variation to the wet and that seems to work best. She's 18 months old.
  • May 20, 2010, 04:35 PM
    Just Dahlia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nana60 View Post
    My dog actually gets so picky, she won't eat for 3 days and then vomits bile. I never gave her people food and did the 15 minute thing. She still does this every so often, it usually lasts 3 days. Then she goes back to normal. She likes 1/3 wet food and 2/3 dry... I try to give variation to the wet and that seems to work best. She's 18 months old.

Try to check the date on posts... this one was from 2004:)