Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Leaking pipe, again (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=12408)

• Sep 4, 2005, 10:59 AM
    ellio1j
    Leaking pipe, again
    My mains water is supplied via a lead pipe, which has now decided to spring a leak. How can I fix this? Help please, as it is driving me nuts.
  • Sep 4, 2005, 12:30 PM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ellio1j
    My mains water is supplied via a lead pipe, which has now decided to spring a leak. How can I fix this? Help please, as it is driving me nuts.

You have a water supply pipe made of lead? REPLACE IT WITH PVC AT ONCE! If you read your history Romans suffered lead poisoning by drinking water out of lead pipes,( that's where the word plumber came from. "Plumbarius = lead worker) and from drinking out of lead containers because the lead gave the wine a sweet taste. I'm amazed that we still have lead water piping in the United States. It's been outlawed for decades. Haven't you read about toddlers getting lead poisoning from eating paint chips because they tasted sweet? If this were my call I would contact the health department and have you and your family checked for lead poisoning, red tag your house until all the lead water pipes were replaced and check and flush all the water lines in your house. I can't stress enough the danger you face and the urgency of the replacement needed
    Please keep me informed but in the meantime replace all the lead pipes with PVC. I'll be waiting to hear from you. Tom
  • Sep 4, 2005, 01:13 PM
    ellio1j
    Leaking pipe again
    Thanks for the quick response. I am from the U.K not the U.S.A, but I hear what you are saying. These pipes have been used for years now & no side effects. I do intend to replace these pipes. Our water supplers responsibility stops at the boundery of our property so they will not do anything about that also they haven't had any problems up to now. BUT!
  • Sep 4, 2005, 01:33 PM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Thanks for the quick response. I am from the U.K not the U.S.A, but I hear what you are saying. These pipes have been used for years now & no side effects. I do intend to replace these pipes. Our water supplers responsibility stops at the boundery of our property so they will not do anything about that also they haven't had any problems upto now. BUT!

But Ellio,
    Are you saying the city water mains are lead also?
    You don't know if there is side effects until it's too late. Get checked for lead posoning and then let me know. Tom
  • Sep 5, 2005, 10:27 AM
    ellio1j
    Leaking pipe again
    Tom
    No, our water boards pipes are of the stone/clay type of pipe, but these are being upgraded to pvc, but these things take time, as this is not a city water board but a county. No,I was referring to my property, from the main stop valve. The problem lies in an out house there a leak, I have tried 2 or 3 different sealing products but no success, this was my main question, how to fix the leak myself.
    ellio1j
  • Sep 5, 2005, 10:48 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Tom
    No, our water boards pipes are of the stone/clay type of pipe, but these are being upgraded to pvc, but these things take time, as this is not a city water board but a county. No,I was refering to my property, from the main stop valve. The problem lies in an out house there a leak, I have tried 2 or 3 different sealing products but no success, this was my main question, how to fix the leak myself.
    ellio1j

I bet you haven't tried Pow-R Wrap? Click on: http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes...geID=&CatID=10
    To check it out. Good luck and change that lead pipe to PVC as soom as you can. We wouldn't be having this conversation if you lived in the states.
  • Mar 1, 2013, 10:55 AM
    captainfalis
    I work for a municipal water supplier, the lead service will not harm you, the fruit you buy at the grocery store has more chemicals(and more harmful) than a lead service, what happens over time is the minerals in the water passing through it over the decades actually line the pipe, also if you do decide to replace your serviuce DO NOT USE PVC it is junk, copper is the only material that anyone with any common sense these days would use.
  • Mar 1, 2013, 07:51 PM
    hkstroud
    Quote:

DO NOT USE PVC it is junk
    Boy does that come as a surprise. Does that mean I should dig up my PVC and replace it with copper? Been down there 40 years and never had a problem.
  • Mar 2, 2013, 03:50 AM
    afaroo
    Hello Captainfalis,

Welcome to this wonuderful Website, you responded to an 8 years old thread please always check the date of the post in the left upper corner, and stick around we may learn some more from you, I agree with Harold and don't buy your comments about PVC, Thanks.

John
  • Mar 2, 2013, 07:19 AM
    jlisenbe
    Captain should be glad... very glad... that Speedball is out of commission these days. I'd love to hear his comments about "pvc is junk".

Come to think of it, get well soon, Speedball. We all miss your posts.