Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Health Insurance (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   If I don't get health insurance will I pay a fine? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=784070)

• Feb 10, 2014, 05:48 PM
    Foil
    If I don't get health insurance will I pay a fine?
    If I don't sign up for any health insurance coverage this year will I have to pay a penalty/fine/fee of some sort? Through taxes? If yes then how much is the penalty? My income is <20k/year, I'm single <50 years old and my employer has canceled medical coverage starting this year.
  • Feb 10, 2014, 06:21 PM
    ScottGem
    Maybe. This site seems to explain it really well:

The Requirement to Buy Coverage Under the Affordable Care Act | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
  • Mar 7, 2014, 11:52 AM
    Foil
    Which English speaking countries do not require you to buy health insurance
    Which English speaking countries do not require you to buy health insurance?
    How about Canada or American protectorates like Guam or Puerto Rico?
  • Mar 7, 2014, 12:06 PM
    smoothy
    Why are you asking specifically?
  • Mar 7, 2014, 12:11 PM
    Foil
    Best/cheapest plan in Ohio that fulfills gov't requirements for employed 48yrOld
    What's the cheapest plan that will fulfill the government requirements for health care? I am employed part-time (~15k/year) in Ohio, 48 years old, non-smoking female, only person in the home and the only person needing coverage.

My employer ended coverage for part time employees in January '14. I was paying about $60 month for medical, dental and eyecare. Is there anything out there that's as low as that?
  • Mar 7, 2014, 12:30 PM
    talaniman
    Ohio Department of Insurance
  • Mar 10, 2014, 04:50 PM
    Foil
    Quote:

Why are you asking specifically?
    I want to know the answer.

Why aren't you answering specifically?
  • Mar 10, 2014, 05:11 PM
    smoothy
    Because you aren't answering WHY you need to know specifically... as is everyone else that's read this thread. Which thus far is something over 110 people.
  • Mar 10, 2014, 05:17 PM
    Alty
    If you're a landed immigrant or Candian citizen, in Canada, healthcare is free. The rest, if you really want to know, is available if you put in the time to research. Since you won't specify why you want to know, and it very much sounds like a homework question, I won't do the research for you. I'd suggest doing it yourself.
  • Mar 10, 2014, 08:00 PM
    odinn7
    Sounds like she is thinking that it will be cheaper and easier to move to another country rather than to pay for health insurance.
  • Mar 10, 2014, 08:01 PM
    smoothy
    On a less than $15,000 a year income (less than $20,000 on another post)? How could they afford to?

Speaking as someone who has moved internationaly 4 individual times ( over and back twice). Cheap is one thing it isn't. Even IF they get a VISA to allow it.
  • Mar 10, 2014, 08:33 PM
    talaniman
    The U.S. stands almost entirely alone among developed nations that lack universal health care.
    http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...x314-91612.jpg
  • Mar 10, 2014, 08:40 PM
    talaniman
    Even the nations without universal health care have heavily government provided health care.

I think if you followed the links provided you may find your premiums will be pretty close to what you pay now, and have more benefits under the Ohio Insurance Exchange.
  • Mar 23, 2014, 01:03 AM
    Foil
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Even the nations without universal health care have heavily government provided health care.

I think if you followed the links provided you may find your premiums will be pretty close to what you pay now, and have more benefits under the Ohio Insurance Exchange.

Actually the lowest quote I found so far is $263/month. I know the plan I had that was cancelled was a group plan but that's quite a difference!

Also, Thank you for answering my question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    If you're a landed immigrant or Candian citizen, in Canada, healthcare is free. The rest, if you really want to know, is available if you put in the time to research. Since you won't specify why you want to know, and it very much sounds like a homework question, I won't do the research for you. I'd suggest doing it yourself.

It is not a homework question and thank you for answering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post

Thanks for responding Scott. The site you listed does explain it well and that helps a lot!
  • Mar 23, 2014, 04:46 AM
    talaniman
    Did you factor in the tax subsidies for your income?
  • Mar 27, 2014, 02:27 PM
    Foil
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Did you factor in the tax subsidies for your income?

No I didn't... Good idea! Um... where can I find that information?
  • Mar 27, 2014, 02:40 PM
    talaniman
    https://www.healthcare.gov/

Please let me know your results. Hope it helps.
  • Mar 27, 2014, 04:09 PM
    dontknownuthin
    Go to the government insurance website for your state and go through the application process. It will give you your options and tell you if you get subsidies and tell you what it will cost exactly. If you cannot afford it, don't finish the transaction. If you have no insurance and are due a tax refund, your refund can be garnished for the penalty you will owe.

We we can't give you exact numbers because we aren you, and we can't do the application in your state, with all the required personal details about your circumstances. Everyone has to do it for themselves.

If you don't know where to log in, call your pharmacy or doctor and ask - they can probably tell you.