Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Medical Conditions & Diseases (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Interpretation of Scan report--contrast enhanced ( CT scan ) (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=557223)

• Feb 23, 2011, 01:13 PM
    nila1
    interpretation of Scan report--contrast enhanced ( CT scan )
    patient history

my father is a 66 year old man having diabetis and high blood pressure also.

few days back he underwent a master health checkup in a hospital where doctors told him that he is having stone in Gall bladder. But he is having no synptoms of GB stone. Occassionall he is having diaherra(loose motion) that 5 times in 2 months.
    so I consulted with the local doctor in my town ,he asked us to take one more ultra sound scan . The new scan reports says that my father is not having any stone but he is having sludge in gall bladder. So the ultra sound scan were taken at different places contradicts with one another
    so doctor advised to my father to undrgo CT SCAN(contrast enhanced) for confirmation.
    COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME THAT WHETHER HE IS HAVING ANY SERIOUS DISEASE RELATED TO GALL BLADDER. AFTER READING CT SCAN REPORT

so my father have undergone Ct scan and the report states that

FINDINGS:
    --------
    THE LIVER IS MILDLY ENLARGED WITH MILD DIFFUSE FATTY CHANGES. A SMALL CYST MEASURING ABOUT 0.7CM IS SEEN IN THE RIGHT LOBE CLOSE TO THE GALL BLADDER.

the gallbladder is well distended with few subtle hyperdense foci within its lumen,confirmed to be small 3 mm mobile calculi on usg screening. There is no evidence of GB wall thickeneing or pericholecystic fluid collection.the common bile duct measures about 7mm with no evidence of CT density calculi. There is no intra or extra -hepatic bilary dilatation.the portal and hepatic veins shows normal enhancement.
    a large diverticulum measuring about 4cm is seen arising from the anterior wall of second part of duodenum.
    the pancreas shows normal attenuation. There is no abnormal enhancement noted.
    the spleen is normal sized and shows homogeneous densities
    a 1.6 X 1.3 cm splenenculus is seen
    THE ADRENAL GLANDS SHOW NORMAL SIZE AND CONFIGURTION OF THEIR LIMBS
    BOTH THE KIDNEYS ARE NORMAL SIZED WITH HOMOGENEOUS CORTICAL DENSITY AND ENHANCEMENT.THERE IS NO CALCULUS OR HYDRONEPHROSIS IS SEEN. BILATERAL SIMPLE CORTICAL CYST ARE SEEN IN BOTH KIDNEYS,MEASURING ABOUT 2.0CM IN THE RIGHT KIDNEYS AND .8 CM IN LEFT KIDNEY
    THE AORTA AND IVC ARE NORMAL SIZED.THERE IS NO RETROPERITONEAL OR MESENTERIC LYMPHADENOPATHY IS SEEN.
    THE VISUALIZED BOWEL LOOPS APPEAR UNREMARKABLE
    THERE IS NO PLEURAL EDDUSIONOR FREE/LOCULATED PERITONEAL FLUID COLLECTION.
    SPONDYLOTIC CHANGES ARE SEEN IN THE VISUALIZED DORSAL LUMBAR SPINE.
  • Mar 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
    adthern
    It sounds like it is less contradiction than variation in the findings. Sludge versus stone, sludge is essentially very small stones mixed in with the biliary fluid creating a muddy consistancy (though the report points out at least one stone of a decent size). That being said, practically speaking sludge can be worse than stones sometimes in the context of creating symptoms. The sludge can clog the Comon bile duct and cause the typical GBA pain. Either way, it's a choice, take care of it now and avoid the pain or wait and see if it develops, which it may or may not--Though more likely than not I would guess it will occur it's a matter of when.

I had a similar situation with sludge, but mine was causing GBA. It was an easy call, out goes the GB. I have had no problems since.

Good luck and seek the advice of a licensed MD in your jurisdiction for advice and treatment.