Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Internships (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Offer rescinded after GPA drop (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=824856)

• May 19, 2016, 08:50 AM
    Tfish999
    Offer rescinded after GPA drop
    I accepted an internship offer for summer from a tech company when my gpa was above 3.0 (3.0 was the minimum required gpa for job). But after this semester my overall gpa will go down to 2.9. In the offer letter it states the offer is valid only if I maintain 3.0 gpa and I need to submit a transcript at the beginning of work. Will they rescind my offer if they find out my gpa went down below 3.0 this semester?
  • May 19, 2016, 10:23 AM
    smoothy
    They can and they very well might.. it was a condition of the internship.
  • May 19, 2016, 10:29 AM
    Tfish999
    Thank you for the reply. Do you know how strict they are about it? Will it make any difference if I talk to the hiring manager? My overall GPA is 2.98 right now which is only .02 points from the minimum requirement.
  • May 19, 2016, 10:34 AM
    smoothy
    That will vary from company to company... some will be more strict than others. I have no way of guessing if this place will or not.

Trying to talk your way out of it might work, or work against you by highlighting the fact you are now below it.

Personally I'd wait to see if they asked you first.
  • May 19, 2016, 10:50 AM
    Tfish999
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    That will vary from company to company... some will be more strict than others. I have no way of guessing if this place will or not.

Trying to talk your way out of it might work, or work against you by highlighting the fact you are now below it.

Personally I'd wait to see if they asked you first.

They have asked me to submit a transcript before starting work. Right now my transcript shows overall GPA of 2.98. Do you think I can get away by submitting last semester's transcript when my overall GPA was above 3.0? Do you think it is a good idea? I know it is not the right thing to do but I seem to have no other option.
  • May 19, 2016, 11:03 AM
    talaniman
    That's a lousy idea as you ALWAYS have the option to do the right thing, or the wrong thing regardless of the consequences. Do the right thing, since you AREADY know what the right thing to do is.
  • May 19, 2016, 11:24 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfish999 View Post
    They have asked me to submit a transcript before starting work. Right now my transcript shows overall GPA of 2.98. Do you think I can get away by submitting last semester's transcript when my overall GPA was above 3.0? Do you think it is a good idea? I know it is not the right thing to do but I seem to have no other option.

Tal's correct (as always). Besides, they will see that it's last semester and wonder where the current semester's transcript is. Big red flag.
  • May 19, 2016, 11:26 AM
    smoothy
    I agree with talaniman, That's a very bad idea. Lie to get a job and you will be fired when its discovered... even years later. They WILL terminate an internship or employment as soon as they find out you lied. Don't think they get this from your school too? Until you have a LOT of real experience...all you have is your reputation Face up to the consequences of not studying harder, but be honest. When you get caught in a lie your reputation gets ruined. Word does get around more than you will believe between employers. Recruiters for different companies do know and talk to each other.
  • May 19, 2016, 11:31 AM
    joypulv
    First, you are asking a question that applies to one company ONLY. How would we know what the odds are that you can talk them into a 2.98?
    Second, you keep looking for run arounds, like handing in last semester's transcript. Um DUH, why would they want your latest one then?
    You are thinking like a 12 year old. Face the truth.
    CONTACT THEM!
    Say something like "I am very very much looking forward to this internship, and sincerely thought my GPA was going to be a solid 3, but it slipped 2 hundredths of a point. I wonder if I can come in and talk with someone about how that happened, and how eager I am to maintain my acceptance."
    They may very well say that there are no exceptions. Then you know, and can start looking elsewhere ASAP.
    It's childish to just fret and wonder how to get around it.

If I were the employer and knew that you talked about handing in an old transcript as your only 'option,' I'd never hire you --- ever.
  • May 19, 2016, 11:54 AM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfish999 View Post

Sorry but you had options. You knew you had to maintain a 3.0 and failed to. Compounding the problem but not complying with the terms of the offer (submitting your current transcript) is sure to cause problems.

Your ONLY option here (assuming you can't do anything to get back the .02 you need) is to go to the hiring manager and explain that your GPA slipped just under their requirements and hope that it won't affect their offer or if there is anything you can do to make it up.If you do anything less it will be found out and will not only affect this internship but your future job searches as well.

You are asking us to tell you what individuals in a specific company will do. There is no way we can do that. We don't know the company or the individuals involved. We don't know how strict that company is. Some companies may use it as only a guideline and cut you some slack over .02. Other companies are more stringent and 3.0 means 3.0. No way we can know which unless we have personal experience with that company.

So your only option, again, is to be honest and discuss this with the hiring manager as soon as your transcript is available.
  • May 19, 2016, 04:19 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    If this semester is going to be 2.98, I would show honesty, I would show good employee manners and I would call the person in charge of this, and be honest and tell them, it hit 2.98.

You may well lose it, but then you have learn a lesson, rules are rules and you as a worker are expected to follow them.

If it dropped a lot, over one sememster, that may sadly show, you made little effort that semester which may show bad work habits.

Be honest, trying to trick, would only cause you to look much worst. I would guess, these bosses have seen most tricks in the book, and may appreciate honesty.