Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Car Rental (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Renting a car (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=631)

• Jan 16, 2004, 04:52 PM
    sorberman
    Renting a car
    I want to drive from N.Y. to Florida is it a better ideal to rent a car for the week going that far or taking your own car? If so what are some of the advantages in renting a car for this long trip?
  • Jan 16, 2004, 05:28 PM
    labman
    Re:  Renting a car
    One of the biggest advantages of renting a car is keeping your own car from getting old before its time. It is also a big advantage if you are leasing and will pay a penalty for excessive miles. Even the best maintained car can suddenly develop trouble. You can get ripped off if you need emergency repair to your car on the road. That is the renal company's problem if you rented. They may even just give you a different car and be on your way if anything happens. You can also select a car that is appropriate for the current trip rather than the compromise you are driving that must work for many different uses, bigger, smaller, sportier, etc. It also allows you to get a good look at something other than what you usually drive.

Downside, expense, not what you are used to, don't have things you always keep in the car, etc.
  • Apr 16, 2007, 12:24 PM
    ByThaBay
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sorberman
    I want to drive from N.Y. to Florida is it a better ideal to rent a car for the week going that far or taking your own car? If so what are some of the advantages in renting a car for this long trip?

I think it depends on the trip. In your particular case, it is a good idea to take your own car because the road from N.Y. to Florida is fairly flat. You'll be putting hardly any wear on your engine since highway driving is very easy for the car as long as you're driving the whole time and not slamming your brakes. However, if you were going to drive to the Sierra mountains which would require large amounts of braking and heavy load acceleration going up mountains, I would recommend renting a car and putting those hard miles on it as opposed to putting those "hard" miles on your car.
  • Nov 29, 2008, 08:42 AM
    bestcarrentalti
    You would have to weigh the options, and pricing of renting a car vs. taking your own. It would be more expensive to rent a car, but you would not being putting the wear and tear, or mileage on your own vehcile.

If you decide to rent a car for this trip, make sure to check into your own personal insurance coverages for a rental car, or if your credit card covers loss or damage to the rental. Both of these options would save you money, if you are adequately covered and do not have to purchase car rental insurance from the car rental company.

As far as pricing a rental car, make sure to start checking prices well in advance of your trip to take advantage of the best rates possible. Look for specials and deals that are advertised on various car rental company websites. When searching for internet car rental specials, you can also try to check car rental rates using a discount code. There are hundreds of membership programs and professional associations that offer car rental discount codes to their members. You can find a list of car rental discount codes for 8 major car rental companies, at Car Rental Discount Codes you can use for Cheaper Car Rental Rate.
  • Oct 30, 2010, 05:40 AM
    harryjone79
    Hi,
    Hello,
    I would suggest to take your own car... in fact I agree with the ByThaBay views... Used Motorhomes For Sale