Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Archaeology (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Found 6 million year old ? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=30531)

• Jul 30, 2006, 06:03 PM
    corriehac
    Found 6 million year old ?
    I was told I found a 6 million year old piece of oak . It ways aprox 45lbs I was told this is rare it was found in gainsville fla. It is white and grey in color. I leave it in my flower garden could it be worth anything
  • Jul 30, 2006, 09:58 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Sounds more like someone having fun with you,
  • Jul 31, 2006, 02:55 AM
    RickJ
    If it is that old, it would be petrified. Is it petrified?
  • Jul 31, 2006, 06:21 AM
    RickJ
    I am a fossil lover. If it were me I'd email a pic of it to my local University palaeontology department to ask them if they can confirm that it's truly petrified oak.

If it is, you've got a real prize! I would suggest not keeping it in your garden if it is. It might get stolen.
  • Nov 20, 2006, 04:58 PM
    Zipper
    I'm not sure that OAK as a species even existed 6 million years ago. It may well be petrified WOOD but only a paleobotanist could identify it.
  • Nov 20, 2006, 08:01 PM
    corriehac
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickJ
    I am a fossil lover. If it were me I'd email a pic of it to my local University palaeontology department to ask them if they can confirm that it's truly petrified oak.

If it is, you've got a real prize! I would suggest not keeping it in your garden if it is. It might get stolen.

Took it to the university of fla in gainsville the confirmed it is fossiled oak between 6 to 10 million years old and it's the biggest they have seen in fla. Thank you . But it does look nice in the yard . Its to big to bring in. thank you
  • Nov 20, 2006, 08:03 PM
    corriehac
    Does anyone know what it is worth, would love to sell it to get xmas presents
  • Nov 20, 2006, 08:08 PM
    valinors_sorrow
    I don't suppose there are very many like it on eBay for comparison. :cool:
  • Nov 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
    corriehac
    Quote:

Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    I don't suppose there are very many like it on eBay for comparison. :cool:

not this big and from fla sorry. Looked
  • Nov 20, 2006, 08:20 PM
    valinors_sorrow
    Okay then maybe locate a Natural Sciences museum and ask them? JUst a thought off the top of my head...
  • Nov 20, 2006, 08:33 PM
    corriehac
    Quote:

Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Okay then maybe locate a Natural Sciences museum and ask them? JUst a thought off the top of my head...

Asked the fla one the just wanted me to donate it. Lol. They could not give me price . It has been shown at some schools though.
  • Nov 20, 2006, 08:37 PM
    valinors_sorrow
    You may have to resort to extrapolating its worth off other things and list it on eBay with your best guess as an opening bid. I mean if cheese sandwiches can rake it in, who knows? Do you know what you want for it? Good luck.