Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   How does a parent terminate parental rights legally in calirornia (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=809150)

• Mar 9, 2015, 10:58 AM
    cmpoindexter
    How does a parent terminate parental rights legally in calirornia
    I have an out of control 14 yr old. I have been told he is a danger to the rest of the family. He is "Bipolar" and "manic" at this time. He refuses to take his meds or go to any kind of counseling. He is angry all the time. Refuses to do nothing he is asked or expected to do. He has had numerous run ins with the law. I have personally called fearing for my safety. When I have asked if they can take my son in the sheriff always has an excuse. I tried to kill myself in Aug 14. Since then things have gotten 20 times worse. I have a Thyroid issue. Now also on Prozac. My son doe what he wants when he wants and that is it! If he does not get what he wants there is a fight that most likely will end up with the local sheriff coming. I have been trying to get help with this child for aprox. 6 years. My Therapist and his psychiatrist say I need to have him removed for everyone's safety. What do I do? I have asked pretty much everyone I thought would know how to do it. All I have learned so far is that is almost impossible to do! Is there a way I can get him help without having to legally terminate my parental rights? Seems there should be some kind of help out there for these types of situations. How does a parent just give away their child? I understand it is for his good but, still! Do I have to have a Children's Protective services Worker to do this? Please answer as thouroughly and quickly as possible as this is way out of control. Thank you
  • Mar 9, 2015, 11:02 AM
    AK lawyer
    Quote:

Do I have to have a Children's Protective services Worker to do this?
    I believe so. Contact Children's Services at once.
  • Mar 9, 2015, 04:30 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    You needed CPS involved long ago, since it is they, not the sheriff that take children into custody, the sheriff office or police make an arrest, but they hold only till CPS comes.

Also where is the other parent?
  • Mar 9, 2015, 06:06 PM
    ScottGem
    I'm a little confused here. You've been told he is a danger, by whom? He has had numerous run-ins with the law, yet no one has involved CPS at this point? If a licensed psychiatrist has told you he needs to be removed, then the doctor can sign commitment papers so why hasn't he? It is part of a physician's responsibility to institutionalize your son if the situation is as described.

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time believing your story. If the situation is as you have told us, then CPS would have been involved long ago, his doctor would have had him committed, the courts would have had him in detention and you would be in this fix.