Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Scholarships & Financial Aid (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=287)
-   -   Where can I find scholarships available for convicted felons? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=98419)

• Jun 4, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Cyndy Ridgeway
    Where can I find scholarships available for convicted felons?
    I have been recently released from prison in the state of Georgia and I am interested in returning to college. Where can I find scholarships or grants for female convicted felons?
  • Jun 4, 2007, 10:40 AM
    victoria_mitchell
    The BEST absolute BEST scholarship web site is fastweb.com they offer over 1 million scholarships check it out, I garentee you won't be disapointed!
  • Jan 21, 2009, 12:17 PM
    motivated
    Quote:

Originally Posted by victoria_mitchell View Post
    The BEST absolute BEST scholarship web site is fastweb.com they offer over 1 million scholarships check it out, I garentee you wont be disapointed!!

There used to be a sitcom years ago called "The Facts of Life" and you look like the chick name Blair.:) Seriously!!
  • Aug 25, 2009, 03:54 PM
    Donnafoley
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyndy Ridgeway View Post
    I have been recently released from prison in the state of Georgia and I am interested in returning to college. Where can I find scholarships or grants for female convicted felons?

I AM LOOKING FOR SAME THING IF YOU FIND USEABLE SITES LET ME KNOW. [email protected]//////THANKS,DONNA:confused::confused:
  • Sep 1, 2009, 02:22 PM
    Joy Loffler

Has anyone heard of released convicted felons being eligible for SSI?
  • Nov 29, 2009, 09:20 PM
    loyaleleo
    Yes my husband just got awarded his last month.
  • Jan 4, 2010, 09:20 PM
    dlservices1
    I was convicted of a felony and did some work release; I never heard of anyone getting SSI. Just curious as to why someone would get it unless there was a medical reason. Also I am interested in getting a scholarship in order to go to college. Time for me to start over and do it right this time.
  • Jan 6, 2010, 03:04 AM
    Clough
    Just so everyone knows who continues to post on this thread...

It's now really old and archived, so not generally visible, unless someone happens to vist the forum topic area where it's located, or is notified that there's activity on it because they've already posted on it.

If you would like for your question to get the most exposure, please do start a new thread.

Thanks!
  • Jan 26, 2010, 10:01 AM
    sragee

As long as your felony is not drug related you are eligible for financial aid.
  • Feb 3, 2010, 01:16 PM
    Soloman
    Ref: sragee: If you have Drug offenses/convictions and received treatment, you can receive financial aid. Please do your research before you attempt to give insite.
  • Feb 12, 2010, 07:28 PM
    GetSillyOh
    Felons are eligible to receive financial aid, federal grants as long as the conviction wasn't while already obtaining federal assistance.

I am a convicted felon, going to college on a federal pell grant. I applied through FAFSA. ( http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ ) Then I just provided my school with some additional information regarding my income... and I was enrolled the next semester.
  • Feb 24, 2010, 02:03 PM
    jen75
    IF you talk to financial aid, you will find out that you can get help, as long as you ARE NOT in college when you get a drug charge. There are all types of scholarships out there you can try to look for... felons, some go off last names, (maybe even first name) religion, race, sex, age, degree you are wanting to go into, statistics like rape, battered women, disabilities, etc. You just have to look at different aspects. NARROW YOUR SEARCH!
  • May 24, 2010, 08:03 AM
    chadsrussell
    I also have a drug conviction and am in college as we speak. I pay nothing out of pocket via financial aid. The rule regardind FAFSA (question #23) is as folows: As long as you were not convicted of a felony while you were receiving financial aid, you should be fine.
  • Jul 21, 2011, 01:31 PM
    spookey
    Weather you are a felon or not is not even on the application for FASFA, student aid, Pall grant etc. The government will make more money off you if you have a degree and pay taxes. As far as drug convictions go, They can and will require drug tests. Read the FASFA restrictions Charter. The question is weather you will be able to get into college. Another common myth. Felony conviction is not even on the application for a passport. I am a felon receiving financial aid right now. Convicted of distributing marijuana in Nebraska.
  • Nov 11, 2011, 05:30 PM
    scorpius4
    I would like to know where to find this research. I am a felon and i want to go back to school someone please tell me where to start...
  • Mar 8, 2012, 02:19 PM
    kaymason28
    Where can I get a grant or something for being a convicted felon?
  • May 2, 2012, 10:58 AM
    sicksick
    Just finished my first semester ,after being released little over ayear ago for poss. Heroin wasn't a prob ,looking for scholarships now that I've established a 4.0 gpa
    Any advice or direction lmk
  • May 2, 2012, 11:38 AM
    pready
    You should talk to the Finance dept at your school as they will be able to assist you.