Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Landline Phones (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=460)
-   -   911 usage (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=717014)

• Nov 15, 2012, 08:14 AM
    vikes1961
    911 usage
    We recently deactivated our home landline to be cell phone only. We were told 911 service was still active with the landline. If we leave the phone physically connected to the jack for 911 service (because our jack is behind the bed and would be useless if we should need to use it in an emergency at night and had to go behind the bed to plug it in) and we receive and incoming phone call on the landline at some time will we receive charges?
  • Nov 15, 2012, 09:09 AM
    joypulv
    Calls can't come in on that landline once it is set for dialing 911 only.
  • Nov 15, 2012, 10:24 AM
    vikes1961
    But we are still getting incoming calls. I talked to a tech from our server and she confirmed that it remains active for DSL. The line is still active because our DSL is used with that line.
  • Nov 16, 2012, 06:52 AM
    Stratmando
    You are either paying for the landline, or they forgot? To disconnect it?
    Ask an Incomming caller what number they are dialing.
    Maybe through some Glitch? You have free Incomming?
    Never heard of before.
  • Nov 16, 2012, 07:42 AM
    vikes1961
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    You are either paying for the landline, or they forgot? to disconnect it?
    Ask an Incomming caller what number they are dialing.
    Maybe through some Glitch? you have free Incomming?
    Never heard of before.

I don't think I am gtting this across correctly... in a sense we are paying for the landline (our DSL runs through the landline so we are paying for DSL) This is/was a "shared" line for home phone and DSL. We dropped the home phone part of the service and upgraded the DSL to the faster speed. The tech verified we would be able to have incoming or outgoing calls if we leave the lines to home phones plugged into jacks. She also said we would still have the 911 service (obviously). So, I asked if we were supposed to unplug the home phones, wait until we have an emergency in the middle of the night, fumble around in a dis-oriented state and try to plug the homephone back into the jack behind and underneath the bed, and finally dial 911? She said she could put a work order in to relocate the jack to a handier position. So, now we are wondering if they can monitor incoming calls? The DLS line is a separate line coming all the way in from the outside box using many more wires in the box. I have a .357 mag on the headboard, but if the incident is health related that probably isn't the best answer. Cell phones aren't as reliable with reception and glitches, but we do have two. I hope this clears the picture up as to what I am asking.
  • Nov 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
    joypulv
    Yes, they routinely track incoming calls, but it's possible that this is a rare situation and you have free service. I would wait to see if you get charged before saying anything.
    ~45 years ago, when LD was expensive and each call charged by the minute at different rates, I was never charged for any of them. It can happen.