Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Can a DNA test be court ordered on an adult child (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=844852)

• May 5, 2019, 10:21 AM
    Hardhat
    Can a DNA test be court ordered on an adult child
    25 yrs ago, I was involved in a short term relationship with a woman. During this time, she became pregnant, and I assuming I was the only partner she was with, signed the birth certificate. It has come to light, that I may not be the biological father. I owe child support in arrears. I asked for a volunteer DNA from this man, and he refuses to give it up. I am not seeking any pay back of child support or damages.I will never see a dime. This woman has never worked, she has claimed injury lawsuits, and draws disability. I am solely looking for the truth, is he my son? We have never had any type of relationship, other than a maybe once a year phone call at Christmas, asking for money. He also does not work, lives with his mother. Do I have any legal rights as the supposed father to request a DNA? I am getting older, for health reasons, and the fact of questioned paternity, I need to know.
  • May 5, 2019, 01:30 PM
    ma0641
    "Do I have any legal rights as the supposed father to request a DNA?" After 25 years?? Basically NO. Adults are treated differently. Plus, you signed the birth certificate.
  • May 5, 2019, 06:02 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    No, you can not get a DNA test at this point.
  • May 5, 2019, 07:27 PM
    J_9
    You can ask the son if he will submit to a voluntary DNA test, however, after this length of time a court will not order one.
  • May 5, 2019, 07:41 PM
    waltero
    $59.00 you can have an ancestry DNA test sent to him, anonymously?
  • May 5, 2019, 07:47 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    $59.00 you can have an ancestry DNA test sent to him, anonymously?

If he did that, how would the OP find out the results?
  • May 5, 2019, 07:58 PM
    waltero
    I think if he paid for it and had ancestry send it to his Son (?), he would be entitled. I know Law enforcement has access to all their record. it might be open to the public?
  • May 5, 2019, 08:19 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    I think if he paid for it and had ancestry send it to his Son (?), he would be entitled. I know Law enforcement has access to all their record. it might be open to the public?

Then his anonymity would end. And Ancestry wouldn't send the results to the one who paid.
  • May 6, 2019, 09:40 AM
    talaniman
    I would think it's rather late to get the law to compel a DNA test unless you have a lot more than a rumor/opinion/suspicion to go on. Legally you would have a hard time proving deception or fraud for that matter. Has this woman or the law taken any legal actions against you for arrears in child support?