Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Small Business (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=298)
-   -   Getting cleaning contracts? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=136572)

• Oct 3, 2007, 07:20 AM
    aust99
    Getting cleaning contracts?
    My dad started a cleaning company 20 years ago by going door to door and asking if they needed their windows cleaned. It took him a long time, but now he has a successful janitorial service based entirely on word of mouth advertising.

I've worked for him since I was 15 and now I'm wanting to start my own cleaning business, but I can't afford to spend years before it's profitable. I know how to do anything cleaning related and I have all the equipment I need. I have a name, a website, and business cards. I've gotten some window cleaning accounts already, but what I really need is office cleaning contracts. I'm just not sure what the best way to get them is... I have limited money to put into this so I can't do everything. I'm not sure if an ad in the paper is best, or in the yellow pages, or mailing flyers, or door to door business card handing out. So any help would be appreciated, thanks.
  • Nov 3, 2007, 01:21 AM
    Stringer
    Networking usually is the most productive and least expensive method of advertising. Join as many local Chambers as possible, talk to people, get referrals, names to call, participate in local charities, etc.

I would suggest that along with networking (this is continual) direct cold calling; knock on their doors, get the name and phone number of the person who actual will make the decision to contract for cleaning for that company.

Call these people on the phone if you cannot see them directly at first (most of these people will not see people w/o an appointment first). Leave one voice mail message if can not reach them directly. Leaving more at this time is detrimental; if they do not return your call within the first week, leave another. Make more calls on the outside chance that you may reach them but do not leave messages at this time. You WILL annoy them, don't do that.

If they are not interested at this time, ask them when their present contract expires and if you can be put on their Bid List to bid then. Keep all this info and call them about two to three weeks before the date date they gave you.

When leaving your voice message be BRIEF and to the point. Leave your name, company your company name, why you called (keep this part to 20-25 words-no more, you will lose them), then tell them you name and phone number again (slowly & clearly).

Many sales people have trouble following up on these calls more than 2 - 3 times, this is wrong. If when you call you are polite, speak clearly and are brief, leaving your phone number at least twice you will get some responses.

Everyone you talk to is a prospect! Maybe they won't buy directly from you BUT THEY KNOW PEOPLE THAT KNOW PEOPLE, who know people... never neglect to follow up on a contact. If you do, you loose the person who gave you the rederral and the possibility of that sale. Always continue to let your current customers know that you want to continue to grow, get referrals from them. All businesses must continue to grow, if they do not they become stagnant then begin to fail. Sales is an on going process, always necessary. Always, be thinking of sales.

I own three commercial cleaning companies, and I will tell you that without sales-nothing happens. No customer service, no operations, no money for future sales (advertising, etc), no profit.

Good luck,
    Stringer
  • Nov 11, 2007, 04:29 PM
    lovelesspa
    Or go to the Business part of your town and write down company names and addresses and start typing up a pitch for your services. Check in your local phone book and call the business and find out who the Manager or owner is so when you type up your Letter you have a name> In your letter tell them what service you can provide and that you will give a free estimate to them, at their convenience.