Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Education Administration (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   School Uniform Debate (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=15248)

• Nov 24, 2005, 10:55 PM
    fushichouryuuko
    School Uniform Debate
    I'm research a topic and would like to generate a bunch of arguments for data collection.

Policy:
    Students in public, K-12 schools must wear school uniforms.

Background:
    - Uniforms are uniquely designed for each school. (Think Japan)
    - Students must purchase their uniform from the school.
    - Students must wear their uniforms on school campus at all times. (Strict)

Instructions:
    1.) Please state whether you are for or against the policy by labeling ‘PRO’ or ‘CON’ in the title box. In rare cases, you may label ‘NEU’ in the title box if you don’t care about the policy.
    2.) State clearly the support for your answer by introducing reasonable arguments. If you can, please provide statistical data and resource locations.

Rules:
    - Think logically and be considerate for both sides of the debate before you answer.
    - Please do not use answers such as “School uniforms are dumb!”, “School uniforms do nothing to improve the school environment.”, or any other personal taste, absolute remarks along those lines.

I’ll generate a few arguments so you can get an idea of how this will work. Don't let the confusing numbers prevent you from displaying your opinions.

CON 1
    School uniforms are expensive because they are designed specifically for that school.

PRO 1 to CON 1
    School uniforms would save parents moneyand time because they don’t have to do the traditional ‘back to school’ clothes mass shopping for their children.

PRO 2
    In the morning, students would not have to make up their minds on what they should wear for the day.

PRO 3
    Students would not be embarrassed or harassed because of their clothes if their parents were not able to buy them the newest fad.

PRO 4
    Gangs use clothing to identify themselves and generate an uneasy atmosphere.

CON 2 to PRO 4
    Why not simply remove the gang members from the school and place them in an alternative learning environment, like a boot camp?

PRO 5 to CON 2
    School administrators have no power to place any student in a different learning environment if they have not caused any problems. Even then, if the problems are minor, they are given detention and still allowed in the school.

PRO 6
    Students’ social standing would be based more on individual character and less on economic status.

PRO 7
    Some students use baggy clothing to hide weapons or drugs.

CON 3
    School uniforms have no use outside of school.

PRO 8
    School uniforms make it easy to identify people who do not attend the school.
  • Nov 25, 2005, 05:27 AM
    fredg
    School Uniforms
    Hi,
    Many, many private schools require wearing uniforms. I know your question addresses public schools, but just thought I would mention that.
    I do not have statistics on the subject, but would like to mention some good reasons for wearing uniforms in either public or private schools:
    1. Gives a sense of "belonging" to a group, and associating with those from the same group (such as the school).
    2. Helps build school pride.
    3. Helps the local school board or administration from continuous stating of "dress codes", what is not allowed to be worn.
    4. Stops distractions in the classroom from "low cut blouses", other distracting clothing worn by some.
  • Nov 25, 2005, 11:31 AM
    CeeBee
    School Uniforms
    When a student attends a school - public, private, parochial, home - he becomes part of that institution and thus subject to the rules and policies of that institution. A dress code is one of those rules/policies.

David Stern, the commissioner of the NBA, has recently ruled that NBA players dress in suits rather than in gangsta, hip-hop regalia. The players' attitudes have already improved, as have the fans'.

During the 1950s and before, people wore their "good clothing" (dresses, high heels, suits) when traveling, to church, to do their banking, to shop, and even to grocery shop. Casual dress began in the early 1970s when women starting wearing slacks to work and people in general figured out they have "rights". The U.S. has never been the same since.
  • Nov 25, 2005, 02:42 PM
    CaptainForest
    Con/ Against School Uniforms
    School uniforms are dumb and they do nothing to improve the school environment. I wonder where I came up with that line from? :)

So, why do I not like school uniforms?

Few reasons:

1) The cost to the parents and child goes up. Not only does The Parent have to buy the school uniform, but he also has to buy other regular clothes for the child when the child goes out to socialzie with theire friends.

2) Children do not ge to learn about freedom of expression or simply how to express themselves. Children need to learn to express themselves and be accepted for the choices they make. School Uniforms simply hinder that process, not help it.

3) All the students will be the same. In the real world, that's not the case. In the real world, people ARE different and it should be reflected like that in the school system. We need to teach the children to get along with others EVER WHEN THEY ARE DIFFERENT. If everyone looks the same with uniforms, you can't really teach the children that lesson now can you?

4) Censorship. School uniforms are a form of censorship. While censorship is sometimes neccesairly in cases or hate crims against religions and races, we can't let it get out of control. School Uniforms are censoring a child's creative side. And alsmost always, Paretns never sees eye to eye with the child, and it's the paretns who are trying to implement school uniform. Look at the 1960s and the hippie revolution. Paretns and Children didn't see eye to eye, so should there have been a school uniform policy then? Perhaps it would have crushed the hippie movement. Would that have been a good thing?
  • Nov 25, 2005, 03:02 PM
    fushichouryuuko
    Pro
    I agree with the cost factors that parents need to buy clothing for their children’s schooling AND socializing, but do uniforms cut down on a student’s freedom? We have been told many times that our outer appearance does not matter, yet it still causes problems in schools, so administrators try to eliminate that problem along with others by introducing school uniforms. Don’t you think this is an opportunity for students to engage in extracurricular activities such as art, music, sports, or some kind of club of interest to express themselves? These activities are a lot more meaningful than expressing oneself through clothing.

Even then, in musical concerts, musicians are forced to wear a type of uniform of dress because they want people to focus on their musical talents. Sports, they wear same clothing. In today’s economy, workers in restaurants, business, front desk help, all wear some sort of formal wear or specified clothing. Even going into interviews they have to look professional. There’s absolutely no way anyone can argue about clothing in the work industry because it’s a matter of “if you don’t wear it, no job for you”. Getting students use to uniforms would better prepare them, don’t you think? I’m not saying everyone should wear uniforms in public full time. Just in work/study environments, that should be the case. It’s fine to wear casual clothing when you’re a consumer, or hanging out with friends.

You know what’s interesting? I wonder how students in Japan deal with their school uniform cost. If you know Japan, ALL K-12 schools have an enforced uniform policy.
  • Dec 12, 2005, 01:41 AM
    kodomo
    Just a little correction, only kids from junior high through high school in japan have to wear uniforms, elementry school students don't have to, and some high schools let their students wear what clothes they want.
  • Dec 12, 2005, 05:02 PM
    fushichouryuuko
    Hm... true, true.

Wonder why people are so against Uniforms? Is it because American School Uniforms are ugly? Peer pressure from friends who also think uniforms are wrong? The whole situation with the freedom is not really strong support for that side. Hm?
  • Dec 12, 2005, 10:01 PM
    talaniman
    Pro-uniforms
    The are our kids and I love the idea of a little disipline.no more poor me or rich you-no more sneaking clothes out of the house-no more fashion shows or distractions in class-no more expensive back to school shoppingYEAH-No more baggy clothes or daisy dukesAT SCHOOL-We send kids to school to learn how to be adults and following rules is the first lesson for them to learn if each school had a different uniform there would be no sneaking to other campuses.Tansfers might be a little expensive but on the whole wouldn't the sale of uniforms bring in money to the schools?I'm for uniforms in all public schools-period :cool:
  • Dec 12, 2005, 10:07 PM
    psi42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talaniman
    We send kids to school to learn how to be adults

No, we send kids to school to learn how to think for themselves.
  • Dec 12, 2005, 10:53 PM
    talaniman
    Uniforms
    Quote:

Originally Posted by psi42
    No, we send kids to school to learn how to think for themselves.

Yeah its been so long I forgot that one! :cool: ;)
  • Dec 29, 2005, 10:04 AM
    orange
    Ugleee green uniforms
    I went to a girl's boarding school for grades 9-12, and we wore a uniform: green plaid skirt, white blouse, green tie, green and white sweater, green blazer, green socks... we also had to wear all the same green swimsuits, track uniforms and even rainjackets and winter coats. Bleah. It was almost as if the nuns used the uniform as a way to keep us from escaping. I mean, if we made a run for it and tried to hitch a ride on the highway, everyone would know we were from St. Vlad's! :p

Seriously though, I hated, correction, LOATHED that uniform!! However, as an adult I realize there were many benefits, not the least of which was that I, as a poor Crown Ward who had gotten into this exclusive school through the charity of others, did not have to feel bad because most of the other girls came from privileged families. Most of the girls had awesome clothes but were never allowed to wear them LOL. So I wasn't made to feel different or less than. It's true we couldn't express ourselves through appearance, but we were able to express ourselves in a lot of more creative and educational ways, such as in art and drama. We also had a swimming pool and horses to keep us busy. And of course there were no boys to impress! :)
  • Jan 20, 2006, 12:52 AM
    fushichouryuuko
    Oh, Oh, Oh! I finally found a PRO for CON 3. Yep, way back up the list. I thought it was the only one I couldn't argue with but here's a new thought!

Well, most of the students that graduate from high school buy their graduation gown and cap. They only wear it once or twice depending on how many ceremonies or events take place. Rarely does anyone wear their gown after their graduation.
  • Feb 15, 2007, 07:08 AM
    voter22
    Comment on fredg's post
    I find it to be very insightful
  • May 2, 2007, 08:49 PM
    noeymc
    Me I am totally ageist school uniforms I got o elyria high and its bad enough and we don't get hal the kids their everyday any ways so school uniforms would hurt my school even more
  • Sep 6, 2007, 11:31 AM
    jkjk
    No they are not needed:mad:
  • Oct 18, 2007, 06:50 PM
    jazz123
    Hi I'm jazz123 um I go southwell school in nz and everyone hates us coze we are a privet school that wears ponsey uniforms I don't know what to do when people say something mean about my school?

Is it beacause they are jealouse that they say these things or wat:cool: :cool:
  • Oct 31, 2007, 04:53 PM
    N0help4u
    School uniforms were a rant of mine when my kids were in school!

A. Excuse: Other kids won't make fun or look down on them.
    What happened? Teachers "picked on" certain kids.
    The uniforms were any khaki pants with no side (knee) pockets and polo jersey shirts in solid brown, blue or green. Any store just so it matches THAT description.
    Teachers over looked violations of 'pet' students and knit picked things like a brand tag sewn into the seam, pants had a little rayon or polyester, they had an extra pocket than the standard, etc... for the kids they didn't like and sent them home.

B. Excuse: Uniforms are cheaper in the long run.
    Problem. My daughter was a size one and I spent $68.75 on buses trying to find pants for her that fit the description in her size. She ended up finding 3 pair of pants and 4 shirts for $80.
    She out grew one pair that was a little tight and the 2 shirts got stained by Jan. We had to start the whole process over. Total for the school year including bus fare and more clothes $240. I could have bought lots of clothes at second hand stores and inexpensive boutiques to last the whole year (including bus fare) for under $100. And she wouldn't have had to wear the same clothes over and over. And I wouldn't have to do laundry every other day.

C. Excuse: when they get out in the work force the job may require them to wear uniforms
    They might as well get use to it now.
    I say WHY? IF they want a job that requires a uniform let them deal with it when the time comes.

D. Excuse: they will concentrate on their work better in a uniform
    Again I say why? Where is the proof?
    I found the exact opposite to be true.

MY solution:
    Strict dress code:

N0 Tee shirts, drawings, logos, or sayings/phrases etc on clothing
    Other than maybe the brand name
    N0thing that reveals certain areas
    Or T00 tight 0R T00 baggie,
    NO jeans, hoodies, sweats, large pockets or whatever the school decides to ban
  • Nov 8, 2007, 05:29 PM
    lr 59
    I am actually doing a report on pros and cons of school uniforms and find everyone's opinion helpful. I am leaning on being on the side of having school uniforms. I learned to propose a choice and to have a choice of style with majority rules. Though the voting would be on acceptable clothes it makes the student body feel like they have a choice when it is the admins decision (just the one people like the most)
    Thanks all for the ideas.
    @
  • Nov 13, 2007, 03:50 PM
    ROYA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fushichouryuuko
    I'm research a topic and would like to generate a bunch of arguments for data collection.

Policy:
    Students in public, K-12 schools must wear school uniforms.

Background:
    - Uniforms are uniquely designed for each school. (Think Japan)
    - Students must purchase their uniform from the school.
    - Students must wear their uniforms on school campus at all times. (Strict)

Instructions:
    1.) Please state whether you are for or against the policy by labeling 'PRO' or 'CON' in the title box. In rare cases, you may label 'NEU' in the title box if you don't care about the policy.
    2.) State clearly the support for your answer by introducing reasonable arguments. If you can, please provide statistical data and resource locations.

Rules:
    - Think logically and be considerate for both sides of the debate before you answer.
    - Please do not use answers such as “School uniforms are dumb!”, “School uniforms do nothing to improve the school environment.”, or any other personal taste, absolute remarks along those lines.

I'll generate a few arguments so you can get an idea of how this will work. Don't let the confusing numbers prevent you from displaying your opinions.

CON 1
    School uniforms are expensive because they are designed specifically for that school.

PRO 1 to CON 1
    School uniforms would save parents moneyand time because they don't have to do the traditional 'back to school' clothes mass shopping for their children.

PRO 2
    In the morning, students would not have to make up their minds on what they should wear for the day.

PRO 3
    Students would not be embarrassed or harassed because of their clothes if their parents were not able to buy them the newest fad.

PRO 4
    Gangs use clothing to identify themselves and generate an uneasy atmosphere.

CON 2 to PRO 4
    Why not simply remove the gang members from the school and place them in an alternative learning environment, like a boot camp?

PRO 5 to CON 2
    School administrators have no power to place any student in a different learning environment if they have not caused any problems. Even then, if the problems are minor, they are given detention and still allowed in the school.

PRO 6
    Students' social standing would be based more on individual character and less on economic status.

PRO 7
    Some students use baggy clothing to hide weapons or drugs.

CON 3

PRO 8
    School uniforms make it easy to identify people who do not attend the school.

Con 9
    Not every one should be punished for other peoples crimes.
    I feel that they are trying to punish students by wearing uniforms.
    You feel me.
  • Nov 14, 2007, 09:53 AM
    rstout28
    I believe that all schools should have uniforms and that some of you people don't make any sense. I do think that a lot of this information is very useful. I am writing a speech in english on why uniforms are a good idea. Thank you for the Pro's and Con's.