Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   The Lounge (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=488)
-   -   One million members (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=669877)

• Jun 12, 2012, 03:40 AM
    joypulv
    One million members
    CONGRATS to AMHD for reaching 1 million members!
  • Jun 12, 2012, 03:46 AM
    Curlyben
    Unfortunately, there's a good chance that our millionth member was a spambot :(

I will get my digging head on and find out for y'all.

Our Millionth member: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/members/pypodyPen.html
  • Jun 12, 2012, 06:54 AM
    joypulv
    Meanwhile... what about the contest winner, AHEM/
  • Jun 12, 2012, 07:36 AM
    Curlyben
    Two parts, just need the posts now ;)
  • Jun 12, 2012, 11:34 AM
    joypulv
    You do? We have to win BOTH?
  • Sep 1, 2012, 08:35 AM
    joypulv
    Here we are at 3 million posts...
    I thought a month ago that Aurora Bell was going to win that part... hope someone actually checks...
    I could swear that until today or yesterday, there were over 1,030,000 members. I wonder if I'm imagining that the number dropped by at least 10,000...

Anyway, congrats AMHD people. Not a lot of warm feelings for the people in charge of the contest.
  • Sep 1, 2012, 08:47 AM
    Curlyben
    I'll give Rick a BIG kick in the pants to finalise this for everyone.

Gee doesn't time fly..
  • Sep 4, 2012, 07:45 AM
    joypulv
    Rick ignored my personal Q to him months ago, so I waited patiently for the second half. He's on site today, answering other questions, so I guess the contest was a sham.

Next stop: CEO of AMHD, Ram.
  • Sep 4, 2012, 07:49 AM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Rick ignored my personal Q to him months ago, so I waited patiently for the second half. He's on site today, answering other questions, so I guess the contest was a sham.

Next stop: CEO of AMHD, Ram.

And I was promised a toaster almost 7 years ago.

And RAM is no longer with us.
  • Sep 4, 2012, 07:53 AM
    J_9
    Holy cow. I do this for FREE. I volunteer my time to answer questions as well as moderate the site. Us moderators never get a word of THANKS much less any monetary gift. Not even a Seasons Greetings, or a Christmas Card... Nothing, nada, zilch. Not even a pat on the back for work well done.
  • Sep 4, 2012, 09:11 AM
    joypulv
    J_9, this was a contest with two prizes. Where were you? It's the principle. Good grief.
    I don't welch, personally.
  • Sep 4, 2012, 09:40 AM
    joypulv
    Oh and 2 other tiny details:
    I volunteer here for free too. Does anyone not?
    And the owners of this site make PLENTY of money off all those pesky ads that pop up after every keyword that is typed.
    So, please
  • Sep 4, 2012, 09:48 AM
    NeedKarma
    I'm not sure if that 'personal advice for xx$/minute' ever worked for anyone. I'm not certain if there is any advert revenue sharing but I assume not.

This is your standard Web 2.0 user generated content site where the users add all the content... for free.

It's very easy to block the ads. I'm always surprised by the sheer number of them when I access the site from a computer that is not my own.
  • Sep 4, 2012, 09:54 AM
    tomder55
    J-9 ;well done !
  • Sep 4, 2012, 10:06 AM
    joypulv
    HUH??
    I'm a greedy mercenary bastard for expecting a company that holds a contest to honor their promise to the winners?
    You either aren't aware of the contest or you are jerking my chain.
  • Sep 4, 2012, 10:14 AM
    NeedKarma
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I'm a greedy mercenary bastard for expecting a company that holds a contest to honor their promise to the winners??

Who said that? Are there some posts missing?
  • Sep 4, 2012, 10:29 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Who said that? Are there some posts missing?

Here's the contest thread --

AMHD Contest
  • Sep 4, 2012, 10:37 AM
    NeedKarma
    Yea, I remember that. In the meantime there were a few staff changes weren't there? Maybe the ownership decided they couldn't do it anymore and didn't communicate that.
  • Sep 4, 2012, 11:11 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Yea, I remember that. In the meantime there were a few staff changes weren't there? Maybe the ownership decided they couldn't do it anymore and didn't communicate that.

Cliff and Ram, both paid employees, have both gone on to life without us. Rickj is the one who created the contest and established the prizes, and am not sure how he figures into the ownership of the site. Roel is the official owner, from what I understand.
  • Sep 4, 2012, 11:16 AM
    NeedKarma
    To me their silence says it all. I would assume this contest has fallen by the wayside.