Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Dog escaping from yard (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=305760)

• Jan 19, 2009, 11:03 AM
    globalwiz
    Dog escaping from yard
    How do I keep my dog from wanting to escape from my yard?
  • Jan 19, 2009, 11:36 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by globalwiz View Post
    How do I keep my dog from wanting to escape from my yard?

Here's my story. We have an acre surrounded by chainlink fencing. My dog dug under. We had landscape timbers attached to the bottom of the fence, both outside and inside.

My dog dug under the landscape timbers.

We had an underground electric fence put in next to the chainlink fence. My dog ran through the line, was frightened, wouldn't cross back and we would find her flatted up against the fence or she would climb over the chainlink.

According to my neighbor she had climbed it before but had climbed back in. I don't know if I believe this because I keep pretty good watch on the dogs.

We took videos to show the dog fence guy - he came back three times. He eventually put the electric fence through the top rail of the fence. My dog kept climbing the fence, gritting her teeth and on more than one occasion, screaming from the shock.

I thought the whole shock fence was cruel because she wasn't "getting it."

We had to get a special permit but installed a stockade privacy fence all around the backyard. It cost a fortune but, so far, she hasn't even attempted to get out.

She is also that much older, is very reluctant to leave the other dog behind and maybe has decided she really doesn't want to go anywhere.

I gave the "shock collar," remote and charger to my handyman.

So the answer is, no, I have no idea how to keep a dog in a yard.
  • Jan 19, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Akoue

One thing you might try is a leash and a runner. The tricky thing about this is getting both ends of the runner secured well-enough that the dog won't be able to pull them out. I attached the runner to the house with an I-bolt, and my dog was still able to pull it out. But it's something to consider, and a lot less expensive than a stockade fence.
  • Jan 19, 2009, 12:30 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Akoue View Post
    One thing you might try is a leash and a runner. The tricky thing about this is getting both ends of the runner secured well-enough that the dog won't be able to pull them out. I attached the runner to the house with an I-bolt, and my dog was still able to pull it out. But it's something to consider, and a lot less expensive than a stockade fence.

I just HATE to see a dog tied - I know sometimes it necessity, it keeps the dog safe but I really hate to see it if there is any other way.

My cousin's dog also somehow or other managed to wrap the leash around his neck and strangled to death just this past Fall. The leash, apparently, was too long.
  • Jan 19, 2009, 01:05 PM
    starbuck8

Training him correctly is the best way to go, although it is a little difficult to explain here. You need to do boundary training. There are many DVD's on this out there. My favourite is Cesar Milans. If you learn the method, you will never have to worry about your dog taking off ever again. You can actually get Cesars DVD's on Amazon for really cheap.

If you want a quick fix, which won't teach your dog anything, but may stop him from jumping the fence. Plant bushes around the perimeter of your yard, or at least the places where he gets out.

Also, is your dog altered? If he isn't, this could be a reason for him/her trying to escape! If it is a male and he is not neutered, he will get out by any means he can to get to a female in heat. If your dog isn't spayed or neutered, it needs to be. This alone could solve your problem.
  • Jan 19, 2009, 01:16 PM
    starbuck8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I just HATE to see a dog tied - I know sometimes it necessity, it keeps the dog safe but I really hate to see it if there is any other way.

My cousin's dog also somehow or other managed to wrap the leash around his neck and strangled to death just this past Fall. The leash, apparently, was too long.

I have to agree Judy. I know what you mean Akoue, but yeah sometimes bad things can happen. Years ago our next door neighbours had a house fire. They had their little dog (I think it was a poodle... small) attached to a running line. They weren't home and had left the little guy outside. He was going crazy trying to get away from the smoke billowing out into the backyard, and he ran in circles and literally hung himself. I felt so awful afterwards, because we thought they had left the dog inside, so the firefighters were looking inside for him. It just made me sick that I could've run to the back and taken him off his line and saved him. It still really bothers me just thinking of it. :(

How is Rosie doing today Akoue? Is she any better? PM me and let me know how your little girl is okay?
  • Jan 19, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Akoue

Yeah, I've heard about this happening. I haven't used a leash in many years, but when I did I made sure there was enough to go from the runner to the collar with only a tiny bit of play, and that there were no obstacles. Starby is right that the best fix is training--there's never a substitute for that. I was thinking the runner might be an interim fix if a fence is not an option for financial reasons.

And now I know I'm going to have nightmares about strangled dogs. Oh, man, there's a tragedy around very corner on the dog forum!
  • Jan 19, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Lowtax4eva

Why not get one of those invisible fences as a backup... you know it's a shock collar and as soon as the dog walks over a wire buried underground at the perimiter of the yard it gets shocked?

After a few tries the dog will understand where the boundaries are.
  • Jan 19, 2009, 01:43 PM
    starbuck8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva View Post
    Why not get one of those invisible fences as a backup... you know it's a shock collar and as soon as the dog walks over a wire burried underground at the perimiter of the yard it gets shocked?

After a few tries the dog will understand where the boundaries are.

Many times they don't work for some dogs. But the problem is, if they do work, your dog can't get out, but other animals not wearing the collar can get in, and your dog can't escape. I've seen many dogs come into the vet that have been mauled by another dog or animal, because they couldn't escape. I had actually thought of going the route of the invisible fence until my fence was completed, but then I saw this happening and heard of all the horror stories.
  • Jan 19, 2009, 02:57 PM
    Silverfoxkit

There are some dogs that are determined beyond reason, and they can be difficult to deal with. When I was growing up we had many escapee dogs such as a pomerian mix named sparky. He dug a tunnel from the middle of the yard under the fence and all measures , timbers and cement, to get out. We had a saint bernard get her leg caught in the mesh buried under ground method and lost the leg. We had a malamute/wolf cross that was on a lead and managed to get herself up just enough to hang herself. I've known people who have tried the invisible fence method, and either the dogs dashed thorugh the shock zone and wouldn't come back into the yard for the shock. The problem is, just about every way of containing a dog can come with some sort of risk. I would suggest getting a microchip for your dog if he/she does manage to get out, and to provide your dog with entertainment so that the dog is less likely to get bored and decide to go adventuring.
  • Jan 19, 2009, 03:36 PM
    starbuck8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    There are some dogs that are determined beyond reason, and they can be difficult to deal with. When I was growing up we had many escapee dogs such as a pomerian mix named sparky. He dug a tunnel from the middle of the yard under the fence and all measures , timbers and cement, to get out. We had a saint bernard get her leg caught in the mesh buried under ground method and lost the leg. We had a malamute/wolf cross that was on a lead and managed to get herself up just enough to hang herself. I've known people who have tried the invisible fence method, and either the dogs dashed thorugh the shock zone and wouldn't come back into the yard for the shock. The problem is, just about every way of containing a dog can come with some sort of risk. I would suggest getting a microchip for your dog in the event that he/she does manage to get out, and to provide your dog with entertainment so that the dog is less likely to get bored and decide to go adventuring.

Did you ever think your dogs just didn't like you? I'm soooo kidding! ;) I had to spread the rep, but I do agree with mentioning the microchipping for sure! Also an ID collar, with a tag giving the dogs name, your name, your vets phone # and your phone #. Also a tag with any medical conditions, and a tag saying the dog has a microchip. You can also register your dog under a service that your vet should normally inform you of, or at least have the info if asked. You can register your pet online, and enter different things like the coloring of your dog, and different traits it may have, and have a tag made up that says your dog is registered on that site. There are several, so you will just have to find one that is in your area. If there aren't any, you can find ones that are national.
  • Jan 19, 2009, 04:54 PM
    Silverfoxkit

Its hard to keep a dogs interest in the yard where there are deer, squirrels, racoons, possums, and so fourth right on the other side of that pesky fence thing as well as the neighbors 12 free roaming dogs. There are also collars they have now that have gps programmed into it called LovemypetsGPS.
  • Jan 19, 2009, 05:25 PM
    starbuck8
    Quote:

Its hard to keep a dogs interest in the yard where there are deer, squirrels, racoons, possums, and so fourth right on the other side of that pesky fence thing as well as the neighbors 12 free roaming dogs. There are also collars they have now that have gps programmed into it called LovemypetsGPS.

I did hear about this. Thanks for mentioning it. I don't normally need to worry about Niki taking off, but this is a good idea regardless if a dog gets lost. (again, still needed to spread the rep) ;)
  • Jan 19, 2009, 05:32 PM
    Silverfoxkit

I'm terrified of the thought of my dogs getting out of the yard. I may live in a very rural area without traffic dangers, but there is a guy down the road that will and does shoot dogs on sight. If they wandered on his land they would be done for, not to mention he always leaves poison out for strays.
  • Jan 19, 2009, 05:42 PM
    starbuck8
    Quote:

I'm terrified of the thought of my dogs getting out of the yard. I may live in a very rural area without traffic dangers, but there is a guy down the road that will and does shoot dogs on sight. If they wandered on his land they would be done for, not to mention he always leaves poison out for strays.

OMG! Is this man mentally ill? He should be arrested! Maybe someone should take a clip at him if he wanders off his land. I would call animal control. Children could come across that poison, or even be mistaken for a dog if this guy is that insane! :mad:
  • Jan 19, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Silverfoxkit

He is a real jerk. He's killed a few of my aunt and uncle's dogs, and my cur romeo when I was little. I was told he ran away but I learned semi-recently that he was actually shot and dumped in the swamp. He hasn't killed any of my aunts dogs since they called the cops on him last, but I don't doubt that he will again, since his son told my aunt a few days ago he has poison out for dogs and I can't stand the thought of anything happening to my babies. They aren't "just dogs" or pets, they are my family.
  • Jan 19, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Alty

OMG, why isn't this guy in jail? OMG!

Some people really should be drowned at birth (oops, was that out loud?)

Silver, I may just need to know where you live, I'm sure I can convince Starby and Judy to go on a little trip with me and we'll make sure this guy never harms another dog again. Of, course, we never had this conversation. ;) ;) ;)
  • Jan 19, 2009, 07:45 PM
    starbuck8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    OMG, why isn't this guy in jail? OMG!

Some people really should be drowned at birth (oops, was that out loud?)

Silver, I may just need to know where you live, I'm sure I can convince Starby and Judy to go on a little trip with me and we'll make sure this guy never harms another dog again. Of, course, we never had this conversation. ;) ;) ;)

Silver... don't pick up any random Prairie Oysters! ;)
  • Jan 19, 2009, 07:53 PM
    Silverfoxkit

I suspect he might have done something recently, since there's a sign on the end of the road put up on the power pole that says "I found the dogs you killed you gutless punk." I'm not sure who put the sign there, or whose dogs were killed, but it's a likely assumption as to who did it.