Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Skin Care (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=501)
-   -   Nail biting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=811969)

• May 19, 2015, 10:54 AM
    eminemloverx3
    Nail biting
    Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me to help me kick my biting an picking my nails and skin habit. I'm always biting and picking the skin around my nails/top of my fingers and there really in bits. It's got so bad that I actually Vick and bite until I bleed my skin and fingers are so sore from it but I just can't seem to stop it's a. Really bad habit.. Anyone have any tips to stop? The horrible tasting nail polish didn't work.
  • May 19, 2015, 11:01 AM
    Wondergirl
    Buy a box of disposable latex gloves at Walmart or a drugstore. There are other kinds available without latex in case you are allergic to latex. Or, instead of wearing gloves, buy an evil-tasting liquid (made for nailbiters) to apply to your nails.
  • May 19, 2015, 11:07 AM
    eminemloverx3
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Buy a box of disposable latex gloves at Walmart or a drugstore. There are other kinds available without latex in case you are allergic to latex. Or, instead of wearing gloves, buy an evil-tasting liquid (made for nailbiters) to apply to your nails.

I absalutly hate latex gloves cannot wear them. I've tried the bad tasting liquid for the nails but I still pick my skins and nails when I have it on it doesn't stop me :(
  • May 19, 2015, 11:17 AM
    joypulv
    3 part approach to an obsession: create obstacles, create distractions, and find out what is bothering you emotionally so you aren't so nervous.

If you really want to stop this, you will try something slightly different if nail polish or latex gloves won't work - try wrapping each finger tip in adhesive tape! Think!
    For distractions, chew on carrot and celery sticks, frozen grapes, string cheese...
    For your emotions, see a therapist, and try one of the many medications that are sometimes helpful for OCD, and join a group for when you can't afford the therapist.
  • May 19, 2015, 11:22 AM
    eminemloverx3
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    3 part approach to an obsession: create obstacles, create distractions, and find out what is bothering you emotionally so you aren't so nervous.

If you really want to stop this, you will try something slightly different if nail polish or latex gloves won't work - try wrapping each finger tip in adhesive tape! Think!
    For distractions, chew on carrot and celery sticks, frozen grapes, string cheese...
    For your emotions, see a therapist, and try one of the many medications that are sometimes helpful for OCD, and join a group for when you can't afford the therapist.

Thanks that helped a lot :) going to try all that! :D
  • May 19, 2015, 02:39 PM
    teacherjenn4
    Try Bite not. It's the best product I've ever found for nail biters. Other brands aren't as strong as this one. It's worth a shot.