Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Paranormal Phenomena (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   How can I tell if my house is haunted? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=3798)

• Feb 16, 2003, 06:21 PM
    Babyface
    How can I tell if my house is haunted?
    :o Weird things have happened off and on the past 4 years we've lived in our house. It was terrible at first. Terrible dreams about the house, about bodies buried in the walls. It felt like there was a male spirit present at times, not a good one but maybe wanting to scare us? My daughter, for the first year, wouldn't go down the hallway by herself (5yrs old at the time) and would hate to even spend time in her room alone during the day. One time came running to us, saying her TV cord started jumping all around by itself. We got a dog 2 years ago. She is sometimes jumpy for no reason and hates to sleep alone as well. But it seems the spirit (feeling, whatever) is easier to handle since we've had our dog. How can we tell, for sure, if our place is haunted?
  • Feb 26, 2003, 03:07 PM
    Makaylha
    Maybe I have watched one to many t.v. Shows but have you tried taking pictures in different rooms? You are supposed to be able to pick up images on the film sometimes.
    DO NOT use a quija board to find out. This only allows more spirits to enter and possibly stay. I use the board myself but not in dangerous places.
    If you want to get rid of ghosts, try burning sage through out the house and say a blessing. However, it seems that you spirit (the one in the house. And yes, there is one.)is a lot stronger than sage can handle alone.The next best thing is to find a church that does exercisms. It may sound crazy but it is in the best interest of your family.
    Don't forget to try and talk with the ghost. Maybe a little friendliness will go a long way. Good luck!
  • Sep 10, 2003, 06:45 AM
    QQapple
    I'm no expert here, however I will share what I know

Let's assume that your house is not haunted... The possible reason you are experiencing haunting stuff according to one of those discovery.com show, is that you may be hallucinating - do you have a lot of electrical appliances in your house? do you use marbled floors? The show say that electric currents in the air can act on your brain and cause hallucination

In my own experience, I tend to have haunting dreams but ownly when I am under extreme pressure - so I have practiced stress management inorder to avoid those dreams and... it works! - of course, in my example, there never was anything 'dirty' there, and that those dreams were purely stress related... however, you might want to try

Another thing to share, I've heard that people who play with things like tarot cards... Any other fortune telling type stuff tend to experience things like what you are going through, so I would totally avoid those things

Next thing to share: (this may offend) what religion are you in? and how deeply are you into that religion? I have heard of people being extremely devoted to a certain religion(e.g, having statues all over the house) experiences such things, however when they turn to christianity, those things go away. (so they are saying that they have haunting experience with religions other then christianity) - this is what I have heard - you can choose to believe or not - for me.. I do.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I think you may just be stressed. I am not you so I do not know, however as I have said before - my haunted dreams are stressed related, so maybe your haunted dreams are too

Your daughter, perhaps she is scared because you are scared. And your dog, maybe his being jumpy and hating to sleep alone is just his character

Anyway, you can always pray to God - the spirits should be afraid of God, especially Jesus

___________________-
    Last thing - a question to all readers for this lady:

If any of you know the bible well, and that you recall the event where Jesus warned of thousands of spirit from this men to thousands of pigs... If you know where in the bible this story is... can you reply to this message...

It would be even better if you can quote the entire passage in your reply

Thanks.
  • Nov 29, 2003, 05:09 AM
    elrp
    My friend and her family believed their house was haunted once, things kept going missing, stuff was moved and hidden. They called in a priest and he blessed the house and all of these things stopped. I don't think it's just a coisidence. It may be unlikely that such things as this could work if you do not believe in a religion, but it could be worth a try.
  • Aug 2, 2004, 08:43 PM
    JimGunther
    I would suggest leaving a video camera on a tripod or a tape recoder running in areas or at times where you feel such things may by going on, particularly when no one is around.

In one TV show that I saw on this subject a man turned on a tape recorder and asked a "ghost" various questions. He didn't hear a reply, but there was one on the tape.
  • Jan 23, 2005, 05:17 PM
    ddonnelly61
    Is your ghost a malicious spirit? If Not, sit back and enjoy the show. Ghost are GREAT conversation pieces. Especially when they act up in front of guest. Me and my girlfriend have been dealing with a phenominon for a couple of years now and no harm has come to anyone.
    If it is malicious, talk to a local religious person about blessing the home.
    Best O luck to you
  • Jan 25, 2005, 10:22 AM
    exile
    Haunted or cursed houses
    I`m relieved to finally be able to tell of a similar problem.I thought I was the only one.Ever since my family moved,we`ve had an incredible run of bad luck and misfortune.(For example,in the past year alone,my father and all of his brothers have died,and they were relatively young and with no major health problems.)The bad things started happening as soon as we moved here,and it seems like every day brings a new problem or crisis.It seems unreal.Sometimes I think the place is cursed.Other times I think maybe since I never liked it here,I created a negative atmosphere,butmy instinct tells me that`s too coincidental.So I don`t know,I`m looking for answers myself.But at least now I know I`m not the only one in a similar situation.I thoght I might be crazy!
  • Jan 29, 2005, 01:44 PM
    hog1411
    I believe now !
    I can't believe it's happening for real . I have this t.v. in the front room
    That turns it's self off , a lot. The only thing that is truly amazing is that
    It only turns off when I leave the room and then once I return or view the
    t.v. from another room it will turn back on immediately . Today I was in
    My bedroom folding clothes and I could'nt hear the t.v. anymore , I figured
    That particular program had switched and the program volume was'nt as
    Loud. I walked into the kitchen , looked through the window that views the
    Front living area , and the t.v. turned on right then . Then I took a shower,
    When I got out I walked back in their to see the t.v. off again and it came
    Back on immediately . Well I called my friend saying this is no longer a
    Suspected t.v. picture tube going bad . By now I am very concerned .
    I started to load laundry again , laid down on the couch in the same living
    Area as that t.v. and fell asleep , when I woke up I was facing the back
    Of the couch and coul'nt hear the t.v. behind me . When I rolled over and
    Looked at the t.v. it came on again . O.K. now I'm freaking out a little bit
    And coming to a realization that this was very real . Today is 1/29/2005
    And today is when this has happened 4 times . It happened again just a
    Few minutes ago and this has actually happened times before but I
    Dismissed it for t.v. mechanical issues . I'm still freaked out but yet I'm
    Interested in finding out more . What should I do now?
  • Jan 29, 2005, 02:18 PM
    psi42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hog1411
    What should I do now?

Unplug the TV. Your "ghost" is probably some sort of person(probably a malicious neighbor), that possesses the correct remote control for your TV, and enjoys lauging at you...

Seriously, if you think your house is haunted, here are a few tips from the rational:

1) Turn lights on. Yes, it will increase your electrical bill, but it will also make you a bit less jumpy since your house is illuminated.
    2) Play some music. Something soothing or upbeat.
    3) Don't leave doors open. This will help eliminate the "dark chasm" feeling.

If these suggestions don't help, see a psychiatrist, who might be able to help.

Best of luck,
    ~psi42
  • Jan 29, 2005, 03:18 PM
    Nez
    Rampaging monsters,weird lights,flashes of light,explosions,thunder,'things' running in all directions...

Oh look.Battle Star Gallactica is on!! :D

Sorry.
    Nez.

Postscript:

When I feel scared,I play Nirvana very loud.Then when I'm 'chilled',some REM seems to do the trick.
  • Apr 19, 2005, 08:45 AM
    countvader88[lol]
    Same stuff happened to me
    I hate it when that stuff happens. The dam TV goes off whne it has no timer or no remote for that matter and your power ahsent gone off. It has trobled me a lot...
  • May 6, 2005, 07:21 PM
    buttsmear608
    U can tell if your house is haunted by just feeling a prescence there. You know someone is just watching you. You can also see sudden changes in your home by replcaing things or nightly visitors. If u feel a force laying you down, you know that there is someone there. There can also be a decrease in temperature in that particular spot where you think the ghost is. I've seen on many programs that ghosts are very sad and depressing things. If u suddenly start to feel depressed or not happy anymore you might want to consult an excocist to remove the prescense out. Some ghosts are too powerful so you should pray. Only god can save from evil things in the world no matter what.

-a 13 year old
  • Jun 15, 2005, 04:30 PM
    hellz_witch76
    This could help you!
    About your house being haunted. The only way to tell is if you get an EVP recordor and put it in the most active room. The spirit may talk or pick up the EVP up. And if you have seen any Appritions OR Ectoplasin(wich is left by spirits) heard voices and stuff like that. One of the biggest things is Orbs. Little whight light ball of Negetive Energey (also left by spirits).
  • Jul 19, 2005, 06:53 PM
    BSN22
    That gives me the creeps
    If one dog helped, maybe two would get rid of the problem entirely... :confused:
  • Aug 26, 2005, 08:38 AM
    caretoshare
    Had a similar experience- here is what I did...
    I once had a similar experience in an apartment I lived in during college. The lights would turn on and off, the television would snap on and change volumes rapidly, messages would be typed to friends on my IM that I never wrote and no... this wasn't just a particularly ornery roommate. :rolleyes:
    My friend had the same experience with the dreams only they were very violent dreams and my friend even awoke with scratches covering her body after one of them. The entities didn't direct any aggression or anger toward me, but did attack and harm many of my guests. I came to notice a pattern.
    They/he/she/it whatever was there would only become aggressive in two situations; first, if someone was arguing with me or doing something untrustworthy to me, or, if someone was using the stereotypical Catholic/religious mediums to get the entities to leave- i.e. holy water, bible, prayer, damning to hell etc... I myself wasn't a very religious person so I guess I never was much of a threat. To help the situation, I actually hired a paranormal investigation service.
    They weren't able to get the entities to leave, but they did give me some great information about who they were and why they were there. It helped me peacefully coexist with those entities while in that apartment. Hopefully you will find a way to liberate yours from your domocile or find a nice agreement such as mine. Pay close attention to the behavior of your dog. Animals have a very keen sense about these things and that can help you know how to proceed. Wish you all of the best.
  • Oct 6, 2005, 11:00 AM
    Rhskt89
    Haunted
    :eek: My grandparent's house is absolutely terrifying! Me and my cousin are a/b the same age and we go over there every now and then just to see if we can see something. Everyone is almost certain that it is haunted! Doors will slam, my grandparents bed shakes, they see things go into rooms, the closet door slammed when they were in there watching TV, just recently, my grandmother was sitting on the front porch and she thought she heard someone tap on the window behind her and she just thought one of her daughters were playing with her but she went inside and everyone was upstairs! One time me and my cousin got done swimming so we got in the bath (our bathing suits were on) and our grandmother came in there to wash her hands and she cut the water off and a few minutes later me and my cousin were talking and we both looked at the same time and the water faucet was turned on both sides, cold and hot! That was scary! We are supposed to go over there this weekend! I want to see something!
  • Mar 20, 2007, 09:35 AM
    catzisme
    Quote:

Originally Posted by exile
    I`m relieved to finally be able to tell of a similar problem.I thought I was the only one.Ever since my family moved,we`ve had an incredible run of bad luck and misfortune.(For example,in the past year alone,my father and all of his brothers have died,and they were relatively young and with no major health problems.)The bad things started happening as soon as we moved here,and it seems like every day brings a new problem or crisis.It seems unreal.Sometimes I think the place is cursed.Other times I think maybe since I never liked it here,I created a negative atmosphere,butmy instinct tells me that`s too coincidental.So I don`t know,I`m looking for answers myself.But at least now I know I`m not the only one in a similar situation.I thoght I might be crazy!

My house is the same as this. As soon as we moved in we have had the most incredible bad luck.my parents just put it down to pure luck, but I think there is something going on... like right now I can feel sum1 watching me but I know there's no one there.also, I saw a young girl run between 2 doors in our house.I thought it was my little sister, and walking into the sitting room (which is the room I thought she had run into) I asked her what she was doing, but there was only my dad sitting on the couch, and no one else. He saw my white face and asked what was wrong, but when I explained, he just laughed!
    Annabel x
  • Mar 20, 2007, 09:37 AM
    catzisme
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buttsmear608
    U can tell if ur house is haunted by just feeling a prescence there. U know someone is just watching you. U can also see sudden changes in your home by replcaing things or nightly visitors. If u feel a force laying u down, u know that there is someone there. There can also be a decrease in temperature in that particular spot where u think the ghost is. I've seen on many programs that ghosts are very sad and depressing things. If u suddenly start to feel depressed or not happy anymore u might want to consult an excocist to remove the prescense out. Some ghosts are too powerful so you should pray. Only god can save from evil things in the world no matter what.

-a 13 year old

I fell this sort of stuff all the time. It also keeps closing the windows in my bedroom?
    Annabel
  • Apr 7, 2007, 10:26 AM
    MichaelY
    I live in a haunted house, but the spirits are nice and when my hands are full I have had doors open for me and have been stopped from falling down the stairs many times. They weren't always nice and we used to have to deal with stuff falling and things breaking. When we just ignored them things got better. Some times shadows of people appear in photos and I had a picture of me and my feet were not on the floor. I don't know how they did that.
  • Apr 11, 2007, 09:21 PM
    ghost fanatic
    I do not know how to tell but I have had feelings about the house that I live in do you ever feel like your being watched