Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Divorce (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   International marriage and divorce laws in regard to american laws (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=243619)

• Jul 30, 2008, 09:21 PM
    radar01
    International marriage and divorce laws in regard to american laws
    Dateline:
    U.S. resident from panama in national guard gets stationed in panama and gets married

U.S. resident comes back from panama (without wife cause she does not want to leave her country)

U.S. resident becomes a naturalized citizen of U. S.

Naturalized U. S. citizen gets american divorce(married about 10yrs) from panamanian wife but never files proper papers in panama

Naturalized U.S. citizen then gets married to american

New american wife is told by someone that as long as her new husband does not file in panama he is married to both

Is this true? And how does this effect the american wife if they ever divorce?
  • Feb 17, 2009, 09:18 PM
    xxxl0new0lfxxx

Yes, it's true.

I married an egyptian girl when I was in the marines. I brought her back to the u.s. she left me and went back home and never came back. The only records ever of us getting married are in cairo. The u.s. government has record of this because of the visa/greencard that was issued to her. Although if I go down to the courthouse, as I already did, there is no record of me being married.

The IRS has records of it too.

In my situation, I called the embassy and they told me that I did in fact have to divorce her from the country of marriage, which would require a package of paperwork being done up and a lawyer drawing up a power of attorney to a lawyer in cairo that would do it.

So yes, you are still legally married to her and your current wife.

I know because my current wife complains about the same thing... lol.
  • Feb 18, 2009, 03:55 PM
    cadillac59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radar01 View Post
    dateline:
    U.S. resident from panama in national guard gets stationed in panama and gets married

U.S. resident comes back from panama (without wife cause she does not want to leave her country)

U.S. resident becomes a naturalized citizen of U. S.

naturalized U. S. citizen gets american divorce(married about 10yrs) from panamanian wife but never files proper papers in panama

naturalized U.S. citizen then gets married to american

new american wife is told by someone that as long as her new husband does not file in panama he is married to both

Is this true? and how does this effect the american wife if they ever divorce?

new american wife is told by someone that as long as her new husband does not file in panama he is married to both

No. This is absolute, total and complete nonsense.

You are legally divorced in the US. Whether the divorce would be recogized in Panama is a different matter, but who cares, unless you plan on going back and live there?

Any American court always has jurisdiction to terminate marital status (that's the legal relationship of marriage) as long as the petitioning party meet's that state's residency requirements. Is is NOT necessary that the opposing party ever have lived in the state or that the court have personal jurisdiction over that person. Now a court lacking personal jurisdiction over a party precludes it from making orders dividing property and assigning debt, or making support orders, but that's an entirely different thing altogether. As long as you have a court document saying you are divorced, you are divorced and your remarriage is valid.

I wouldn't worry about any of this.
  • Nov 6, 2010, 07:49 AM
    osmoss
    I need to know in laws of divorce in Panama. I applied for a divorce and now they say it is in tribune