Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Spyware, Viruses, etc. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=477)
-   -   AVG antivirus .bin file missing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=249594)

• Aug 16, 2008, 02:54 PM
    tequilatart
    AVG antivirus .bin file missing
    I have AVG free v.8.0.138 (running Vista on wireless laptop) and all of the sudden is telling me that a .bin file is missing. I tried updating but it gives me an unspecified error and tells me *update failed*. Any ideas?
  • Aug 16, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Curlyben
    Reinstall AVG
  • Aug 16, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Trev17
    I am having the same problem and I have re-installed as well
  • Aug 16, 2008, 03:20 PM
    MeRcYz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tequilatart
    I have AVG free v.8.0.138 (running Vista on wireless laptop) and all of the sudden is telling me that a .bin file is missing. I tried updating but it gives me an unspecified error and tells me *update failed*. Any ideas?

I have the same problem so let me know what works.
  • Aug 16, 2008, 03:20 PM
    merle ganz
    Same thing here what do you do?
  • Aug 16, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Curlyben
    If an over the top reinstall fails then clear it out completely and start over.
    Uninstall it and clean registry entries. CCleaner - Home will help with this.
    Then reboot and reinstall.

Should fix the issue.

Also are you sure this isn't a bad update being sent by AVG themselves, it does happen from time to time,
  • Aug 16, 2008, 03:26 PM
    nebular
    It appears that the problem is new and happen to everybody using freeware version.
  • Aug 16, 2008, 03:44 PM
    enjee
    It's a bad update coming from AVG itself

The update is looking for a .bin file on their server and it cannot download - so instead of providing a meaningful message - the installer just says "bin file missing"

Will have to wait for AVG to fix.

Ill give them 24 hours max - then Im dumping their software and moving to something else :eek:
  • Aug 16, 2008, 03:57 PM
    prujjj
    Both of my computers are having the same problem. Has anyone contacted AVG?
  • Aug 16, 2008, 04:03 PM
    spenguin
    I had the same problem but got it to work.

Step one: fire up AVG and click on Update Now.
    Step two: when the list of updates is shown in the popup window, click on the link to tell you more. This will take you to a list of the updates you're trying to, well, update.
    Step three: click on and save to your computer the all updates except the last one - http://downloadfree.avg.com/update/u7iavi1616oo.bin - because it isn't there.
    Step four: cancel the update.
    Step five: instead click on Tools->Update from Directory and browse to wherever you downloaded the file.

It should work from there.

HTH,

John Anderson
    Soaring Penguin Ltd.

PS. Tell your friends.
  • Aug 16, 2008, 04:17 PM
    minwestus
    Don't do anything. It looks like an AVG problem. I'm sure they'll have it fixed in a bit.
  • Aug 16, 2008, 04:33 PM
    GLi768
    Comment on spenguin's post
    I followed spenguins steps and so far all good! Thanks Spenguins!
  • Aug 16, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Shin01
    1) go to AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - Updates
    2) make a directory on your desktop called AVG
    3) download AVI: 270.6.4
    4) download IAVI : / 1616
    5) move the dowloaded files to the directory you made called AVG
    6) launch AVG
    7) select tools -> update from directory
    8) select the directory called AVG where you put the downloads

That's it. Should be fixed.

P.S. I tried it and I'm perfectly updated once more. Not sure if there is still a problem with the .bin but for now you should be back to full update.
  • Aug 16, 2008, 05:13 PM
    marcantony
    IAVI: / 1616 can't be donwloaded. A 404 comes up instead. However following your steps and downloading just AVI: 270.6.4 worked.

Thanks for that
  • Aug 16, 2008, 05:17 PM
    marcantony
    And they are aware of it;
    AVG Free Forum :: AVG 8.0 Free Edition :: UPDATE .BIN error information... Aug 16th 2008

"Currently the update for AVG Free v8 is corrupted... you will have to wait for AVG Technologies to address the issue with the update.

Reporting the issue again by other users here will not do any good util it is resolved.

The updates that your AVG currently have will still provide the protection it is setup to detect. In otherwords, just getting this update will not make your AVG Free ineffective and as soon as AVG Tech resolves the issue you will be able to update to the current virus definitions at that time.

So in short... please do not post to report the issue, its already known. Also please be patient until AVG Technologies can address the issue."
  • Aug 16, 2008, 05:17 PM
    enjee
    There is an alternative download page at AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - Updates

It contains a link to the missing bin file http://www.grisoft.cz/softw/80/update/u7iavi1616oo.bin

Save to you local machine and then run the update from directory option in AVG

Presto - problem fixed - this time...
  • Aug 16, 2008, 05:24 PM
    fattymattywatty
    Comment on spenguin's post
    Works perfectly! The last file was indeed missing but it wasn
  • Aug 16, 2008, 08:25 PM
    david pinson
    I Found this allso.

UPDATE .BIN error information... Aug 16th 2008
    Posted by: rdsok - Moderator (IP Logged)
    Date: August 17, 2008 12:07AM

Currently the update for AVG Free v8 is corrupted... you will have to wait for AVG Technologies to address the issue with the update.

Reporting the issue again by other users here will not do any good util it is resolved.

The updates that your AVG currently have will still provide the protection it is setup to detect. In otherwords, just getting this update will not make your AVG Free ineffective and as soon as AVG Tech resolves the issue you will be able to update to the current virus definitions at that time.

So in short... please do not post to report the issue, its already known. Also please be patient until AVG Technologies can address the issue.

Also... for those user that did report the issue... thanks for the info.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08/17/08 12:16AM by rdsok.
  • Aug 16, 2008, 08:50 PM
    david pinson
    Yes it worked for me also THANKS :)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by enjee
    There is an alternative download page at AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - Updates

It contains a link to the missing bin file http://www.grisoft.cz/softw/80/update/u7iavi1616oo.bin

Save to you local machine and then run the update from directory option in AVG

Presto - problem fixed - this time......

• Aug 16, 2008, 08:56 PM
    amyc_johnson
    Comment on Shin01's post
    Accurate and easy to understand