Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dentistry (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Abscess Tooth (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=791235)

• May 4, 2014, 03:06 AM
    pastor1189
    Abscess Tooth
    Abscess tooth. Friend had the devil to pay, with an abscess tooth.
    for 3 days. It's better now. He used a lot of ibuprofen and mouth rinses.
    Even with over the counter medication and
    mouth rinses it was a painful experience. I wonder what is a good antibiotic and pain reliever people use for tooth aches
  • May 4, 2014, 03:47 AM
    joypulv
    The only pain reliever that works for me for serious tooth pain is a prescription one, a narcotic like Vicodin. Others prefer codeine or percocet.

OTC you basically have 4 types: acetaminophen (Tylenol), aspirin, ibuprofin, and NSAIDs like Aleve. I take Tylenol and ibuprofin at the same time because they work in different ways. Tylenol is mainly for pain and ibuprofin mainly for inflammation, but people often just go by personal preference. Antibiotics in the US are only available with a prescription.

Your friend was lucky that he got rid of an abscess with rinses. It could have easily gotten worse. He should find a walk-in clinic to have available for the future. Most hospitals are affiliated with one so that people don't use the ER so much.
  • May 4, 2014, 06:39 AM
    pastor1189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    The only pain reliever that works for me for serious tooth pain is a prescription one, a narcotic like Vicodin. Others prefer codeine or percocet.

OTC you basically have 4 types: acetaminophen (Tylenol), aspirin, ibuprofin, and NSAIDs like Aleve. I take Tylenol and ibuprofin at the same time because they work in different ways. Tylenol is mainly for pain and ibuprofin mainly for inflammation, but people often just go by personal preference. Antibiotics in the US are only available with a prescription.

Your friend was lucky that he got rid of an abscess with rinses. It could have easily gotten worse. He should find a walk-in clinic to have available for the future. Most hospitals are affiliated with one so that people don't use the ER so much.

thank you so much
  • May 4, 2014, 07:07 AM
    J_9
    Quote:

I wonder what is a good antibiotic
    That would depend on what bacteria is causing the infection and whether the patient is allergic to certain antibiotics. Only a doctor/dentist, in the US, can prescribe antibiotics. We cannot advise what antibiotic is appropriate.
  • May 4, 2014, 09:00 AM
    tickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    Abscess tooth. Friend had the devil to pay, with an abscess tooth.
    for 3 days. It's better now. He used a lot of ibuprofen and mouth rinses.
    Even with over the counter medication and
    mouth rinses it was a painful experience. I wonder what is a good antibiotic and pain reliever people use for tooth aches

Sometimes tooth aches have a deeper 'root' cause which means the nerve has died, the infection has started below the gums and just really wants to get out but can't find a way. So, ergo, the pain and pressure starts. This pressure left unchecked can cause a blood infection, which may go the heart and then...

Sure you can dull the pain, but you are not treating the cause. I suggest your friend get to a dentist quickly to have his tooth treated, removed, root canalled, whatever, before something serious happens in his mouth.

Dulling the pain on a long term basis is a bad idea because you are not curing anything. Smart people get to a dentist.