Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Hair Care (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=500)
-   -   Is Dying light Blonde hair to dark brown a bad idea? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=583564)

• Jun 23, 2011, 04:22 AM
    casseh18
    Is Dying light Blonde hair to dark brown a bad idea?
    Hi all, I am thinking of semi-permanently dyeing my light blonde hair to dark brown. I love my hair but I simply feel like a change. However I am worried that if I do dye it it will never go the same colour again? Will I constantly have to get my hair dyed? Or should it grow back the same colour? I was thinking it would be possible to match it before hand to the right colour then when if it doesn't fade out I could dye it back and then it should grow normally? Am I wrong? Is it possible to recover blonde hair back or is this a big mistake? I really don't want to lose it forever and end up with dry and ratty hair... Thanks!
  • Jun 23, 2011, 04:50 AM
    tickle

If you were dyeing your hair any shade of red, it would fade, not nearly back to blonde, okay, but if you dye any shade darker you will constantly have to colour your roots as you hair grows out. A daunting task to perform every three weeks, depending on how quickly your hair grows. No, brown will not fade out so you will achieve your true colour again. You would have to have it bleached and then a colour similar to your own applied, should you want your original colour back.

Tick
  • Jun 23, 2011, 05:18 AM
    casseh18
    Comment on tickle's post
    Thanks Tick, however I do not intend to keep the brown colour at all, I simply want to experience it for a few weeks then go back. So it is possible to get back to my natural blonde? So if it does not fade, What I'm worried about is if I do dye it back to a colour similar to my own it will still grow darker roots? As I have never dyed my hair before I have never experienced regrowth and I guess what I'm concerned about is blonde hair due to a lot of sunbleach? As the bottom layer of my hair is obviously darker than the top, is that what my regrowth would be? I just don't want to spend the rest of my life dying it I guess...
  • Jun 23, 2011, 06:49 AM
    tickle

Your regrowth would be your NATURAL hair colour. So, you would have blonde roots and the rest dark. Very unnatractive. You didn't read my response correctly; I said you would have to bleach out the brown, and apply a blonde nearest your own. The brown will not fade the way you think it will. Semi permanent doesn't mean its going to fade, it means, depending on how porous your hair is, it will be there unless you want to bleach and rep-dye, or wait and have it all cut off to your own natural colour.

Of course, once you start bleaching to attain your natural colour again you are damaging your hair.

When you dye your hair you only dye the existing hair. Why do you think the regrowth will be brown if your natural colour is blonde?
  • Jul 21, 2011, 05:19 PM
    willows818
    Hi casseh18 :)

I'm 17 and I have very very light natural hair, it almost verges on white blonde (it was white until about 13). As far as hair dying goes, I'm too scared to try it as I reckon I won't get this colour back. I was talking to my mum about it (she has a LOT of experience with dyed hair hahaha) and she said she reckons if I dyed it brown it would grow back blonde but not light blonde, probably more a honey colour or if I'm lucky, the slightly darker colour underneath my top layer :(
    I wouldn't risk it unless you're prepared to get your bleached properly after the brown to get that blonde colour back (although again, you'd have to keep that up).
    Maybe try a strawberry blonde or maybe red or very very light brown if you want to keep your exact natural colour and talk to your hairdresser about it as they will probably know best :)
    I hope I helped!! Good luck with it all :):)
  • Aug 18, 2012, 08:09 AM
    Ruth3980
    Hello all, I attempted to dye my hair from blonde to a medium brown about 2 weeks ago but now looks very dull.. I asked the girl at the salon why and it is not recommended to permanently dye you're a darker color from being blonde (at home). When you have blonde hair, your hair essentially has no pigment to it. When you dye your hair with brown hair dye at home, the hair is less likely to hold the color for very long and will fade out very quickly, leaving a "muddy" and dull color. I highly recommend getting your hair colored at a salon if you are going from a very light blonde to a darker hair color. If you've already done it, don't sweat it. They can fix it with color correction at the salon. :) Hope this helps!
  • Aug 19, 2012, 12:49 AM
    clairemsmith
    You could try a temporary color (which lasts less time than semi permanent). I used Goldwell Colorance Soft Color Foam to darken my blond before, and it looked nice and faded out after about a week. I just used as sort of a "try on" color and didn't try to go drastically darker, just a couple shades.