Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Immigration Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Deferring Grad school on F1 visa, is it possible? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=303851)

• Jan 15, 2009, 08:16 AM
    SShr23
    Deferring Grad school on F1 visa, is it possible?
    Deferring graduate study on F1 visa, is it possible, what's the good way to do it?

I am a student who has recently been approved F1 visa for graduate study in USA at one of the colleges in New York. I am already here in USA on F1. My graduate study is starting from February 2009 but because of some unforeseen circumstance I will be able to start my studies only from fall this year. How do we go about this , is there anything that needs to be done for this.

So if my study is deferred, what will happen to my visa, will I have to go back to my home country & reapply for new visa or I can continue here on status

Thanks in advance, please let me know if you need more details. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
  • Jan 15, 2009, 11:14 AM
    lawanwadee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SShr23 View Post
    Deferring graduate study on F1 visa, is it possible, what's the good way to do it?

I am a student who has recently been approved F1 visa for graduate study in USA at one of the colleges in New York. I am already here in USA on F1. My graduate study is starting from February 2009 but because of some unforeseen circumstance I will be able to start my studies only from fall this year. How do we go about this , is there anything that needs to be done for this.

So if my study is deferred, what will happen to my visa, will I have to go back to my home country & reapply for new visa or I can continue here on status

Thanks in advance, please let me know if you need more details. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Need more details.. Why? What happened... and will the school be willing to issue a proper document?
  • Jan 15, 2009, 12:32 PM
    SShr23
    The school would be happy to issue proper document, The registrar said he would change the starting date to Fall instead of Feb, things are not working out for me to start right away in Feb. What more details are needed, what would be the next step?
  • Jan 15, 2009, 05:18 PM
    lawanwadee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SShr23 View Post
    The school would be happy to issue proper document, The registrar said he would change the starting date to Fall instead of Feb, things are not working out for me to start right away in Feb. What more details are needed, what would be the next step?

I still don't know what the reason is.. what you must do is contact international office at your school and ask them what your options are. You can't be in US if you are not attending classes, but you probably don't need to apply for a new visa. If the deferred period is over 5 months, you will need to apply for a new visa from your home country.