Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cars & Trucks (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Honda Civic won't start (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=12295)

• Aug 31, 2005, 12:03 PM
    dfeather
    Honda Civic won't start
    I have an '82 Honda Civic that won't start. With key turned to accessories and wipers turned on, when I move the positive battery clamp the wipers go on and dash lights as well. I turn the key to start and everything goes off. Turning the key back to accessories again, no lights... only if I go and jiggle the positive clamp again? Any help would be appreciated!
  • Sep 14, 2005, 03:59 AM
    badpenny
    Make sure all corrosion on all terminals are cleaned off. After you make sure of that and all connections are tight, if problem persists then you need a new ignition switch. BTW, how many things are on your key ring? This is a big problem for these cars. When was the last time the ignition switch was replaced (it is mainly plastic and can wear out fast with excessive weight on it)
  • Sep 14, 2005, 10:41 PM
    dfeather
    Honda not starting
    Hey, thanks for the response. Cleaned the terminals, changed the clamps and it started OK. Only thing is, there's a drainage somewhere so I have to disconect the negative ground cable to stop the drain. Oh well, the car's up for sale now, as I got lucky and found a beautiful Toyota Camry with only a couple of problems.. needs a new valve cover gasket and tune-up, and a lens cover for the parking light driver's side front. Not too bad... clean car... so, I'm happy again! Again, thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Can't afford a mechanic to take care of those little things that happen on a monthly basis, so this one should last me a few years! YEAH!
  • Sep 14, 2005, 11:09 PM
    badpenny
    Just out of curiosity what state are you in? And how much are you asking for it?
  • Sep 15, 2005, 12:50 PM
    dfeather
    Selling honda
    I'm in Hawaii... big island. I'm asking $400 for it. It's not a beauty, has about 193000 on it. Tires less than a thousand. Needs spedometer cable (went out about 500 mi. ago), brake job (caliper sticking on one side). Its got a new radiator, thermostat and power booster. I just don't know a mechanic to take care of the little things and very limited income.
  • Sep 15, 2005, 03:30 PM
    badpenny
    :eek: Man, for me shipping would require a ship. Wow.
  • Sep 15, 2005, 06:14 PM
    dfeather
    Shipping
    Yup, sometimes living in the middle of the Pacific has it's disadvantages! :rolleyes:
  • Sep 18, 2005, 06:32 AM
    tfx2864
    Honda Civic starting problem
    I have 92 Honda Civic that has a strange situation. When the weather is good - dry and warm, it starts and runs without any problem. But it won't start when it is wet or cold. Now the nice weather(summer in New England) is almost over, I can not start it in the morning and have to wait until the afternoon. I have spark plug, fuel filter changed and it does not seem help the situation. Any advices/suggestion will be really appreciated. Thanks in advance. Tim
  • Sep 18, 2005, 11:56 AM
    badpenny
    Does the 92 have a distributer cap? If so check and see if it is seated properly and make sure that your thermostat housing isn't leaking, A cracked dizzy cap can hold moisture that prevents a car from starting. Do you have any other symptoms other than the ones you have already described. i.e.. Rough idle or erradic idle. Are you getting a code on the ecu? It could possibly be emmissions related.
  • Sep 19, 2005, 03:44 PM
    tfx2864
    Honda Civic
    GoodPenny... You are too good to be called BAD. Thank you for your response . It does have a distributor and the cap looks secured. I am not sure if I should/can take a look inside. The radiator does leak a little bit on the top - near the cap(not thermostat housing) and I just poured some sealer in. This morning I could not start it, but in the afternoon, my daughter started without any problem. If it starts, it is running very well (for a 13 year old car) Just don't have the money to get get another one and we are hoping to fix this problem with a few GOODPENNIES. Thanks again.
  • Oct 8, 2005, 03:59 PM
    93hondacivic
    93 honda civic starting problem
    Hi,
    I have 93 honda civic Ex. But it does not start in morning cold or while it is raining or wet. But It starts in sunny afternoon. Once started, it runs good.
    Even in the dashboard, it doesnot show any red sign. I changed the distributor, spark plug cords but problem is still there. Could you guys give me some hints or suggestions what should I do. I would really appreciate.

Thanks.
    Marks
  • May 19, 2012, 05:39 PM
    Delsoller
    I have a 1997 Honda Civic Del Sol S. Manual 5-speed. Ithas been sitting for over a year now. I put in a new battery, new starter , I tried to start it... nothing? Auto Store guy;s told me to switch out the Neutral Safety Switch-Switch Interupter above the clutch pedal; still nothing.. I hear click;s from the ignition switch that;s all- doesn't even try to crank... I tried to by-pass the Ignition with the starter, touching the terminal;s not even a spark... I sure would appreciate any imput thanks
  • May 19, 2012, 05:46 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    "Car (Starter Motor) Won't Crank"

. Ensure the battery is fully charged, before diagnosing starter problems.
    . Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multi-meter.
    . Ensure the gearshift is in Neutral or Park (automatic transmission), or the clutch pedal is depressed (manual transmission), if the starter motor does not turn at all when the ignition switch is turned to Start.

1. If the starter motor doesn't turn, but the starter solenoid (relay) "clicks" when the ignition switch is turned to Start, the problem is with the battery, starter solenoid, or starter motor connections.

2. Disconnecting the negative battery cable first, clean battery terminals and cable connections with a battery terminal brush, No. 240 abrasive cloth, or steel wool. Also, check the battery ground cable connection to the body and engine. Apply silicone dielectric grease, when finished.

3. While the negative battery cable is disconnected, clean starter motor and starter solenoid connections. Apply silicone dielectric grease, when finished. Make sure all connections are secure. When installing the starter cable, make sure that the crimped side of the ring terminal is facing out. Reconnect the negative battery terminal last.

4. If the starter motor spins but the engine is not cranking, the overrunning clutch in the starter motor is slipping and the starter motor must be replaced. Also, the ring gear on the flywheel or drive plate may be worn.

5. If the solenoid plunger cannot be heard when the switch is actuated, the battery is bad, the fusible link is burned (circuit is open), or the solenoid is defective.

6. In order to check the solenoid, put the transmission in Park and remove the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal. Connect a jumper lead (12 AWG), or preferably a remote starter switch, between the positive battery terminal and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring. If the starter motor still does not operate, replace the solenoid.

7. If the starter motor cranks the engine slowly, ensure the battery is fully charged and all terminal connections are clean and tight. Then, check connections at the starter solenoid and battery ground. The engine will also crank slowly, if it’s partially seized or has the wrong viscosity oil in it. Synthetic engine oil allows starter motors to turn the engine over easier and faster, thus promoting starting and reducing battery drain.