Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Criminal Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407)
-   -   Theft under $5000. 2nd time. But 1st time since 18th (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=65083)

• Feb 21, 2007, 06:49 PM
    domman2007
    Theft under $5000. 2nd time. But 1st time since 18th
    Hey all,

So basically the story goes like this:

In April of 2006, I was arrested for theft under $5000 for car prowling in a neighborhood and some alleyways. I was 17 at the time. We got caught with $1500 worth of golf clubs in the back of my dads car. Needless to say, my dad was pissed. Luckily though, he hired a good lawyer, and I pretty much just had to do 20 hours of community service and write a letter of appolgy to my parents. Also my criminal record was destroyed, this happened about nov 2006. So at this point, boom, I'm clean.

STUPID ME, its feb 2007, I am now 18 and I do the same thing again. Car prowling, arrested for theft under $5000 again. The way we got arrested was that the cops actually caught us red-handed in a car looking through it. In the end they charged me with steeling car tires with rims which we put in a park nearby so we could get them in the morning.. some cheque book and that's about all that was stolen. I also got a $115 ticket for car prowling... yea I'm not happy about it, I feel like a total scum of the earth. I know this. I can't really explain why I did it... I guess the only reason I can come up with is that me and my friend were drinking heavily that night and.. well I guess I kind of have been a lot lately because my parents have been fighting a lot and its kind of hard to stay home sometimes.

Anyway, this time things are different... my dad mentioned to me after the first time that if I do something stupid again, "im f'n out". Out of the house he means... so I pretty much can't really tell him or my mom about it because I really have no where to go if I get kicked out.. and they will do it my parents are kind of crazy but anyway... I tottally don't know what to do... I cannot afford a lawyer, I only make like $1200 a month.. and I already know that my previous lawyer was like $2000+ so I'm screwed for that... I think my only option at this point is to get free legal advice.

I recently talked to Calgary Legal Guidance (on 02/20/07), which is a not-for-profit org. and the volunteer lawyer there told me that they will give me a call in about a week.. so right now I am waiting for that phone call.

I explained everything to him when I went to see and he pretty much told me I have very little of a defence, since they did catch us in the act and he said that what most likely is going to happen is that I will either be fined or do community service (which kind of sounds weird to me since I already did it and I don't see why a judge would make me do it again... ). He also said that jail time "probably wont happen". This is where it kind of sunk in for me.. I really REALLY don't want to go to jail, I don't care if its for 30 days I really cannot have that happen to me. Not only will that cause a lot of heartache for me and my family, but it will probably shatter me for the rest of my life.

I really don't care about any fine or community service ill pay off $10,000 if I have to.. ill work 1000 hours community service if I have to, I just don't want to go to jail and I don't want my parents to find out...

There's really a lot more to the situation but I know this is getting kind of long so I'm going to leave it at that. I hope someon can help me out there!

Thanks to all//

Ps. I live in alberta, canada

D.
  • Feb 24, 2007, 04:27 PM
    CaptainForest
    Dude, you screwed up. Admit that.

You want to stay out of jail? Then you need to show the Judge you are sorry for what you did and are taking responsibility for it.

How can you take responsibility for it when you won't even tell your parents?

Odds are a first offence like this you will just get probation and community service.
  • Mar 20, 2008, 07:05 PM
    rachel101
    Well I've always heard Canadian sentences are a lot lighter than California sentences but I think courts are the same everywhere. I totally agree w/Captain Forest. Take responsibility. You may want to consider writing the judge, (I assuming you will be sentenced by judge, not jury) a letter and just be honest. There's turmoil at home and you often don't want to be there and you did an unbelievably drunk stupid thing and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

If you have to do time so be it... you know you messed up and you will probably have to do this with a court appointed atty.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you. If your parents do find out and toss you out you will get along. Maybe it won't be fun but you will survive and sounds like you may be the type who really needs to get knocked hard to get it. When your family helped you out of it the first time you apparently didn't learn much.

But in the meantime have you thought about finding a new group of friends or are you the leader of the group and they are following you?
  • Apr 13, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Mikicoco
    Hey, Domman2007. I have a few questions for you. I recently got into the same trouble "theft under $5000" as you were when you were 17. I am currently 17, turning 18 in August this year, my court date is on may 15th this year. Do I have to get a lawyer? What are the consequences? Will it be on my criminal record? Will I be able to find a decent job after? Do I have to pay back to the charity? If yes, how much? Thank you so much in advance!
  • Apr 13, 2013, 08:31 AM
    JudyKayTee
    This is from 2008 - the OP has not been back, probably will not be back.