Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cars & Trucks (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Super Sport Radiator (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=15889)

• Dec 8, 2005, 06:22 PM
    Gweedo
    1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Super Sport Radiator
    I have a 1996 Dodge Ram Truck 5.9 Liter that has been running hot the past couple of weeks. There was a couple of times that I thought that the engine was going to over heat but never did. Some brown liquid was coming out of the radiator but I could not tell from where. Is this a common problem with these trucks. How long is one of these radiators supposed to last? Could it be a shot radiator or just a radiator that needs a flush? I replaced the thermostat and there was no improvement therefore leading me to believe that it is a radiator problem, but how do I not get suckered into thinking that I need a new radiator? What does a radiator and engine flush cost? Thank you
  • Sep 13, 2007, 01:39 PM
    leftie_42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gweedo
    I have a 1996 Dodge Ram Truck 5.9 Liter that has been running hot the past couple of weeks. There was a couple of times that I thought that the engine was going to over heat but never did. Some brown liquid was coming out of the radiator but I could not tell from where. Is this a common problem with these trucks. How long is one of these radiators supposed to last? Could it be a shot radiator or just a radiator that needs a flush? I replaced the thermostat and there was no improvement therefore leading me to belive that it is a radiator problem, but how do I not get suckered into thinking that I need a new radiator? What does a radiator and engine flush cost? Thank you

I also have a dodge and I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 sport and I know a radiator 4 mine cost 220
  • Jan 11, 2008, 09:22 AM
    jzizzle1987
    Hey man I have a 96 dodge ram 1500 sport with a 5.2 where is the thermostat and how much did it cost ? A radiatour flush probably will cost you about 100 bucks but it is easy to do yourself
  • Jan 5, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Tahltan

WEre is the brown liquid coming from.

If the antifreeze is brown then just guessing that you haven't changed it in awhile. But don't be fooled the new types of antifreeze on the market have changed colors. In the last year I have run into green, orange, purple and clear.

Spend 5 bucks and buy an antifreeze tester and check.

If you haven't changed your antifreeze in awhile then I would spend the bucks and go get the rad flush.

Good luck
  • Aug 11, 2009, 05:08 PM
    dblakeman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gweedo View Post
    I have a 1996 Dodge Ram Truck 5.9 Liter that has been running hot the past couple of weeks. There was a couple of times that I thought that the engine was going to over heat but never did. Some brown liquid was coming out of the radiator but I could not tell from where. Is this a common problem with these trucks. How long is one of these radiators supposed to last? Could it be a shot radiator or just a radiator that needs a flush? I replaced the thermostat and there was no improvement therefore leading me to belive that it is a radiator problem, but how do I not get suckered into thinking that I need a new radiator? What does a radiator and engine flush cost? Thank you

My 1996 Dodge Ram Sport pickup with a 5.2 liter was doping the same thing. We have replaced 2 or 3 thermosat, radiator cap, and many more things. None of these fixed the problem. I found out my radiator is pluged. I will either have to get a new one or have this one recored.
    Many Dodge radiators have this problem. Check for a cool or cold spots on radiator after it has heated up. Simple check for a small repair. Don't burn your hand it is very hot in places.
    Don't get rid of your pickup just check the radiator. A flush will not rapair the problem if it is really pluged up.