Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Appliances (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   GE side by side refrigerator; frost-free freezer freezes up causing fridge to warm (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=146297)

• Oct 29, 2007, 01:27 PM
    edwardmorris
    GE side by side refrigerator; frost-free freezer freezes up causing fridge to warm
    We have a GE frost-free side by side refrigerator with ice maker. It's 5 years old but for the past year+ we've been having problems with the freezer building up frost around the inside, and then the refrigerator doesn't get cold. I have to unplug everything, take the shelves out of the freezer and then blow-dry it sometimes twice a month, and then the refrigerator gets cold again. I've replaced the coils which I thought made it work, but only temporarily because it started doing it again a few months later. I saw a response to someone with a similar problem stating that the defrost element or defrost thermostat was probably faulty. Is that the same thing as the coil? If so, what would cause it to go out again so quickly? The seals around both the freezer and the fridge side are fine, so that can't be what's causing the problem. I've removed any dust buildup both under and on the back of the fridge. I'm afraid to replace the coil again because I'm not sure what keeps causing it to go bad.
  • Oct 29, 2007, 05:32 PM
    applsvcgirl
    The Defrost system consists of a defrost timer a defrost limit and a heater. On newer GE's the defrost cycle is controlled by the motherboard on the back. If you could supply the model number I could tell which system you have and how to solve your problem.
  • Oct 30, 2007, 02:32 PM
    edwardmorris
    The model number is GSS22KGMC WW. I appreciate any advice you can give!
  • Oct 31, 2007, 04:54 AM
    applsvcgirl
    This link will provide you with the testing instructions at the board. You will see it has diagnostics for the touch pad temperature control unit but ignore them. The board tests are the same and that is the part if this manual you will need to perform the diagnostics.

Let me know if you need more help
    http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/x...rctica_sxs.pdf
  • Jun 22, 2009, 10:01 AM
    raptor8311
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardmorris View Post
    We have a GE frost-free side by side refrigerator with ice maker. we've been having problems with the freezer building up frost around the inside, and then the refrigerator doesn't get cold. I have to unplug everything, take the shelves out of the freezer and then blow-dry it sometimes twice a month, and then the refrigerator gets cold again. I've replaced the coils which I thought made it work, but only temporarily because it started doing it again a few months later. I saw a response to someone with a similar problem stating that the defrost element or defrost thermostat was probably faulty. Is that the same thing as the coil? If so, what would cause it to go out again so quickly? The seals around both the freezer and the fridge side are fine, so that can't be what's causing the problem. I've removed any dust buildup both under and on the back of the fridge. I'm afraid to replace the coil again because I'm not sure what keeps causing it to go bad.

Than you bill
  • Dec 10, 2009, 08:54 PM
    debbie8953
    Hey I am having the same problem, doing the same as you have with the blow dryer and all, how did you solve this problem?

Thanks
    [email protected]
  • Dec 10, 2009, 08:55 PM
    debbie8953

I'm having the same problem you are, I have don't the same things you have to fix the problem, but it keeps freezing up, how did you solve the problem?
  • Mar 10, 2010, 04:49 PM
    ern_lac
    I'm having the same problem. Fridge/Freezer is not cooling enough. The bottom appears cooler than the top. Bottom half of the freezer on my side by side GE is frosted in the back. The guy is replacing the heater right now (part WR51X10101). I hope it works.
  • May 3, 2010, 04:50 PM
    sararay
    I just recently purchased a GE side by side and am now having the same problem. I have to defrost the freezer 2 times per week and the thing is only set on 3! The motor runs constantly, unless you open the doors. Is that normal? Please help I cannot afford to keep throwing away my food.
  • May 17, 2010, 06:02 PM
    melvinwindnut
    This is not normal. You need to replace the defrosting element to an upgraded double element. Your single defrosting element must be burnt out. The defrosting system is not working anymore.
  • Jun 12, 2010, 04:26 PM
    Angrycustomer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by applsvcgirl View Post
    This link will provide you with the testing instructions at the board. You will see it has diagnostics for the touch pad temperature control unit but ignore them. The board tests are the same and that is the part if this manual you will need to perform the diagnostics.

let me know if you need more help
    http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/x...rctica_sxs.pdf

=
    good thought I know what you mean even though the site is unavailable. Running it in the diagnostics will allow you to see the heater, fans, and of course the compressor. Blinking LED will state the mode or any faults and the manual should have a trouble shooters guide. Sometimes solid state boards need to be reset kind of like the sensors in your car for gauging fuel injection. The boards are often considered new critical technology and the other mechanical items are able to be in the humid conditions of a refrigerator. At any rate, also check the drain line for blockage. I'm Blue.
  • Aug 15, 2010, 06:50 PM
    GEFridgeProb
    Having the same problem with my GE Profile side by side.
  • Aug 15, 2010, 07:10 PM
    GEFridgeProb

Has anybody had success in fixing the problem and how?
  • Sep 28, 2010, 05:11 PM
    jeanniethorn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by applsvcgirl View Post
    The Defrost system consists of a defrost timer a defrost limit and a heater. On newer GE's the defrost cycle is controlled by the motherboard on the back. If you could supply the model number I could tell which system you have and how to solve your problem.

Model frs22zrh
  • Sep 28, 2010, 05:14 PM
    jeanniethorn

My frigidare side by side freezing up model frs22zrh
  • Apr 4, 2012, 03:38 PM
    bdnwtkfg
    OK I have a GSH25JFXCC ASIS. I bought it new in 2009 (3 years old) and the freezer is cold, The refer is just on the low side of luke warm. The port at the top is open, although I had to clean out the frost that has developed. There doesn't seem to be any air flowing up from the fan that I can feel. I hear the fan running.. .

I don't know anything about a heating element.
    ANY help you can send my way will be appreciated.
    bdnwtkfg at wans dot net

Thanks
    David
  • May 9, 2012, 09:54 AM
    fsilva
    Model # gss22kgmd-cc freezes up on frezzer side
  • May 9, 2012, 09:55 AM
    fsilva
    Freezer freezes up on freezers side modelgss22kgmd-cc
  • May 9, 2012, 10:14 AM
    bdnwtkfg
    TURNS OUT:
    I had to remove the panel at the interior side of the freezer, and expose the coils. They were completely iced over. I took a heat gun - being VERY careful NOT to get too close OR get the coils too hot, and melted the ice. This took about 2 hours. I re-assembled the interior and it has been working fine since.

The ice build up on the coils was preventing the air from the fan from flowing over the coils and the cold air making its way into the refer section.

NOTE: There is a port at the top of the freezer (behind the light on the refer side) that can get frosted over. You will need to check this 1st.

I also turned down the control from 9 to 6 and its working just fine as of now.. .
    (may 9, 2012)
  • May 28, 2012, 09:40 AM
    nofridge
    I purchase mind in 2006 and have the same problem with freezing ice above the ice dispenser on the door inside of the freezer side and now it does not get cold at all on both the freezer side and fridge side. I have replaced the relay and controller parts and only had the refrigerator for 6 yrs and I no it should not go out that fast. We pay too much money and GE need to take care of this free of charge for defective products. What do you think?