Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Remove toilet and convert to shower drain (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=187430)

• Feb 23, 2008, 03:47 PM
    bucklebuddy
    Remove toilet and convert to shower drain
    Hi! I can work my way around a construction site, but when it comes to plumbing (or HVAC) I have to ask the experts. I'm helping a friend convert a bathroom to a shower room. We intend to remove the sink and toilet, etc, re-tile and have the entire room be a shower. Of course this is an older building with a case iron toilet drain. In my past experience, toilet drains don't have P-traps and therefore if we just convert it to a shower drain without a p-trap we'll get that lovely sewer gas smell constantly. Is there a simple way to convert the toilet drain to something with a p-trap without having to bust up and remove the concrete? Is there some type of adapter on the market for this?

Thanks in advance!
    Ben
  • Feb 24, 2008, 06:46 AM
    casairl
    What are the downsides of teeing in to existing 1 3/4" wastepipe rather than breaking through the outside wall and installing a boss connection. It will carry away a sink and a bath and possibly a shower 's waste
  • Feb 24, 2008, 06:58 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Is there a simple way to convert the toilet drain to something with a p-trap without having to bust up and remove the concrete? Is there some type of adapter on the market for this?
    Sorry Ben! Get out the jackhammer because you're going to hafta bust cement up from wherever you're draining to back to the shower trap and raiser. You can't use a toilet rough in for a shower unless you reduce down to 2". A better way would be to connect to the sink drain,( if it's 2") and let the sink vent service the new shower since you're going to hafta vent it anyway.
    How I would go about it would be to cut a wye or combination wye and eighth bend into the sinks drainline to pick up the shower trap and raiser. Now cap off the sink stubout in the wall and you're in business. Good luck, Tom
  • May 3, 2009, 03:51 PM
    archibot
    Tom, thanks for the help. I'm in the same situation, pretty much. So, do I understand you correctly? If we can tap into the sink drain line horizontally above grade, we may be able to do the shower install without concrete demo? Maybe we can build a 4" platform to get the p-trap in there and then connect bust into the wall to connect with a tee at the sink drain (the sink is getting capped and removed.)
    I know this isn't pretty but would it work?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Get out the jackhammer because you're gonna hafta bust cement.... A better way would be to connect to the sink drain,( if it's 2") and let the sink vent service the new shower since you're gonna hafta vent it anyway.
    How I would go about it would be to cut a wye or combination wye and eighth bend into the sinks drainline to pick up the shower trap and raiser. Now cap off the sink stubout in the wall and you're in business. good luck, Tom

• May 3, 2009, 04:09 PM
    speedball1
    Hey Mark,
    Yeah! It would look pretty funky but if you platform the base so could install a "P" trap and then tie back to to the sink drain in the wall you would be drained and vented. Just cap off the stub-out and leave the vent in place.You're going to be kind of tight with a trap and raiser at one end and a sanitary tee at the other. Could you raise the platform to 6". Regards, Tom
  • May 3, 2009, 08:32 PM
    archibot
    Cool! 6" is probably doable - only 2" uglier than 4". :D
    I'll let you know if we have success with this.
    Thanks again,
    M