Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Hard Drives (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=463)
-   -   Hard Drives (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=7413)

• Jan 26, 2005, 09:50 AM
    Wendy225
    Hard Drives
    I have a question on SATA Hard Drives.

I am planning on installing 1 SATA Drive, and I have 1 IDE drive also, I want to use,

Which would be the Master, or can it be either, I know with IDE you use Slot 1 for Master and then if you want to have a slave.

But with SATA I am not sure how that works, when using an IDE drive.

Thanks.
  • Jan 26, 2005, 11:26 AM
    Nez
    Hard Drives
    Hi Wendy.Just spoke to my cousin in Perth,Australia.Not happy,it's 2am there!
    And she gave me this info.Well I'm not taking the blame if it's wrong am I :D

Leave your IDE as the master.It has your OS installed on it? Your BIOS might 'see' your new drive as SATA0.Go to control panel,performance and maintenance,administration tools,computer management.

Choose 'disk management from the list at left,you will see listings of drivers in the system.Right-click on the entry for SATA drive and choose "Change Drive Letter and Path".Click on 'Add',then choose a drive letter to use.Click OK.

So there you have it. :)

As a matter of interest,Hitachi have unveiled the Deskstar 7K500.The first 500GB,7,200 RPM SATA hard drive for the home PC.It has a 16MB buffer,8.7 millisecond seek time.Wow!

Anyway,all the best,
    Nez.
  • Jan 28, 2005, 07:23 AM
    ScottGem
    Wendy,
    Generally a PC has 2 IDE drive channels. Each channel supporting 2 drives for a total of 4. Within a channel, one drive has to be the master and one the slave. So if you are putting the new drive on the same channel with an existing drive, then it should be a slave. You could switch and make it the master and the other the slave, but I wouldn't bother.
  • Feb 2, 2005, 06:18 PM
    Wendy225
    Scott
    Scott, that info you gave here, is only if I was installing an IDE drive.

My question was about a SATA drive, it does not plug into the IDE slots and SATA does not have to be assigned Master or SLave.

But thanks for the help anyway.

Thanks Nez, I will try that out.

Right now having trouble getting it to recognize the drive.
  • Feb 4, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Nez
    Hard Drives
    Place ME disc on a bakeing tray and cook for 30 minutes.

Remove and serve hot,with lots of swearing and exclamation quotes!!

Aghhh.Does'nt that feel better?

Now I've got your attention Wendy,try this,but it means a full install of Windows XP.

This is exactly how it goes:

If your loading XP onto a PC with a serial ATA (SATA) drive,you will have to manually load the SATA drivers.

Copy the drivers from the motherboard cd*\DriverDisc\SATA\*.*into root directory of floppy disc.(ie.root directory of floppy should contain\pide and\sata folders,txtsetup.oem,etc.files)

Then,boot system by XP install cd,when message "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver" turns up,press "F6" .Then press "S" to
    Specify additional device when next screen pops up.Put the driver floppy disc you made in and press enter to continue.

If the floppy disc is made successfully,the instillation program will ask for selecting driver.Please then select "VIA Serial ATA RAID controller (Windows XP)".)

After SATA driver loaded and Windows XP can recognise the SATA HDD,you can continue to install XP as normal.

Phew!!

I'm going to have a lie down in a dark room now.Goodnight :D

All the best,
    Nez.