Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Cast Iron Toilet Flange Problems (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=20560)

• Feb 13, 2006, 10:46 AM
    twbffl
    Cast Iron Toilet Flange Problems
    Hi, I have read forums on having the cast iron toilet flange being too high after tile removal. I have some additional questions on this:

1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e. 5/8 inch plywood and than 1/4 inch cement board)? And than put new tile down.

2. How do you tell if a cast iron flange is worn out? (Note: ours is not level right now).

3. Is it better to just have a plumber come out and replace the flange versus doing #1?

4. Also, I have seen comments both ways: Do you put the flange of top of the new tile or do you attached it directly to the subfloor or the underlayment on top of the subfloor?

Thanks,

Tom
  • Feb 13, 2006, 11:57 AM
    speedball1
    Hi Tom,
    1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e. 5/8 inch plywood and than 1/4 inch cement board)? and than put new tile down.
    Yes, If that makes the flange set between 1/4" under the tile to setting level on the tile floor.
    2. How do you tell if a cast iron flange is worn out? (Note: ours is not level right now).
    Cast iron flanges don't "wear out" they break. Take a block of wood and a hammer and put the block close to the inside of the flange and tap until it's level. Note; (To lower a cas iron flange tap all the way around until the drsired level is reached. The lead joint will have to be recaulked after you do this.)
    3. Is it better to just have a plumber come out and replace the flange versus doing #1?
    Why spend the money when you already have a working flange in place?
    4. Also, I have seen comments both ways: Do you put the flange of top of the new tile or do you attached it directly to the subfloor or the underlayment on top of the subfloor?
    We leave the tile man to do the floor and then come in, set the flange on top of the tile and then install the toilet and other fixtures.
    More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom
  • Feb 13, 2006, 12:38 PM
    twbffl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Tom,
    1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e. 5/8 inch plywood and than 1/4 inch cement board)? and than put new tile down.
    Yes, If that makes the flange set between 1/4" under the tile to setting level on the tile floor.
    Cast iron flanges don't "wear out" they break. Take a block of wood and a hammer and put the block close to the inside of the flange and tap untill it's level. Note; (To lower a cas iron flange tap all the way around untill the drsired level is reached. The lead joint will have to be recaulked after you do this.)
    Why spend the money when yoiu already have a working flange in place?
    We leave the tile man to do the floor and then come in, set the flange on top of the tile and then install the toilet and other fixtures.
    More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom

Speedball1,
    Thanks for the quick answers. Can you clarify your answer in #1, where you mention the flange sitting 1/4" under the tile to setting level on the tile floor.
    Is 1/4" under mean the tile is 1/4" under the flange (gap between flange and tile) or are you meaning the flange can be up to 1/4" below the top of the tile? Thanks again, you have been very helpful.
  • Feb 13, 2006, 01:05 PM
    speedball1
    I meant the flange may set UNDER the top of the tile 1/4" Regards, Tom