Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Word Processing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   Using Document Versions in Word 2007 (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=146133)

• Oct 29, 2007, 05:28 AM
    mwells
    Using Document Versions in Word 2007
    I have used versions (File menu... versions) in Word 2003. I am now using Word 2007 but cannot find the versions command. Where do I create a new document version in Word 2007?
  • Oct 29, 2007, 05:42 AM
    NeedKarma
    By default the Save function in Word 2007 will save in the neww Office 2007 file formats. This will cause problems if you send the document to someone who has an earlier version of Word. If you will be sending a document to others it's best to do Save As and select Word 97-2003 version.
  • Oct 29, 2007, 05:53 AM
    ScottGem
    Versioning is not available in 2007. What are you trying to accomplish? Can you use Track changes?
  • Oct 29, 2007, 06:17 AM
    mwells
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Versioning is not available in 2007. What are you trying to accomplish? Can you use Track changes?

Thank you for your input.

I have used Versions to discourage plagiarism in the writing process. When a student is doing research I have them save each stage of the writing process as a separate version. At the end of the project there will be at least six versions: 1. Research notes 2. Outline 3. Rough draft 4. Teacher Comments 5. Edited copy with Track Changes enabled 6. Final product with bibliographies. Using versions enables all of these to be contained and retrieved in one document. Each version is dated so it is easy to determine if the time requirements have been met. The statistics tab in the Properties provides the total editing time. It is one complete package which makes plagiarism very difficult unless the writer starts the process with the completed piece and works backwards. This is not usually done since each stage is saved with its own date stamp.

I don't want to have each stage saved as a separate document because then six separate documents have to be supmitted instead of one.
  • Oct 29, 2007, 07:27 AM
    ScottGem
    Then I suggest that you require using Word 2003. If you lookup Versions in Word Help, it explains that it was dropped and may offer some alternatives.
  • Oct 29, 2007, 08:23 AM
    mwells
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Then I suggest that you require using Word 2003. If you lookup Versions in Word Help, it explains that it was dropped and may offer some alternatives.

I have searched everywhere in Word Help but can't find anything about Versions. Where are you finding it? Thanks.
  • Oct 29, 2007, 09:27 AM
    NeedKarma
    In Word 2007:
    Microsoft Corporation
    Quote:

Versioning

Description: The versioning feature is removed.

Reason for change: This feature is replaced by document life cycle (DLC) functionality in the 2007 Office release.

Migration path: Organizations that used the versioning feature can use the Version Extraction Tool (VET) in the Office Migration Planning Manager (OMPM) to extract versions of a document into multiple files. For more information, see Migrate Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files to the 2007 Office system.
  • Oct 29, 2007, 09:51 AM
    mwells
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    In Word 2007:
    Microsoft Corporation

I appreciate the input that is being given. I am finding Word Help to be very difficult to find the information being referenced. When I enter "Document Life Cycle" in the search box I get 100 responses none of which connect me with any references to "Document Life Cycle". When I searched for "Versions" I got 49 hits but these are applying to version 2007 and not the version feature in Word 2003. It seems the MS Help section is not very user friendly.
  • Oct 29, 2007, 10:43 AM
    ScottGem
    Its not an issue of user friendly, since both NK and I seem to have found it. I think it was the 4th item when I searched for Versions. You jusut have to know what to search for to narrow things down.
  • Oct 29, 2007, 11:00 AM
    mwells
    Again, I thank you for your response. I cannot understand why the Word Help is giving me the responses it is. I have Word 2007 open and click on the question mark under the close box and enter Versions in the search box. I have found nothing that relates to what you have given me. Is there a different Help area that might be producing different results?