Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cats (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Cats Eye (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=4011)

• Jun 8, 2004, 09:48 AM
    Catsmeow
    Cats Eye
    This morning my cat was lying in bed with me. I put her out while my husband was taking a shower because she has a fascination with water she actually loves it... After he was done with his shower he went into the living room to leave for work and my kitten came back in the bedroom with me. I noticed her sitting on the tub and I called her to me... That's when I saw that her eye was swollen.. I figured that she got into the soap suds and it irritated her eye.. Now it has a little matter coming out... I rinsed her eye out with water, and a lot of the swelling has came down but it still looks bad.. What should I do...
  • Jun 10, 2004, 10:09 AM
    koriani
    Cats Eye
    Hello,

We've been seeing a lot of this lately. Cat's can suffer from allergies just as humans do. With all the cutting and rain lately, these allergies are flaring up.

You can use regular Visine (NO ingredients besides saline solution) to help keep the eye moist and help clear toxins out.

Kitten invariably get into all sorts of things. It's possible your kitten might have scratched the eye or gotten some kind of irritant in it somehow. If this is the case, a mild triple antibiotic ointment may be necessary.

Keep the goop washed off with a warm washcloth and if it isn't back to normal by Friday morning, please call a vet.

Regards,
  • Jun 10, 2004, 07:08 PM
    Catsmeow
    Re: Cats Eye
    Thanks so much for your reply I began By dipping cotton balls in warm water and wiping her eye and then we put some drops in and now everything in back to normal and she is a happy little kitten...
  • Jun 13, 2004, 07:46 AM
    koriani
    That's great news!
  • Jul 1, 2004, 09:07 AM
    luvmyoli
    Hi,

I've been having a similar problem with my cat's eyes. Occasionally, one (it changes from one eye to the other) will have a slightly swollen upper lid and she will rub it. I usually put a few drops of an eye wash solution and it'll clear up. Although it's happened repeatedly, I don't know if it warrants a visit to the vet because there is no discharge and the eye itself is clear and bright. Does this also sound like it's due to allergies?

• Jul 1, 2004, 12:04 PM
    koriani
    Cats Eye
    Hi Luvmyoli,

Yes, it could be allergies. As long as the discharge is clear, there should be no problem.

If the discharge becomes yellow/green and doesn't clear up within 2 days, you might need to visit the vet to get some antibiotic eye ointment.

Also, if the cat stops eating, drinking, etc that could mean there is a fever which is consistent with a virus or bacterial infection.

Regards,
  • Jul 1, 2004, 12:51 PM
    luvmyoli
    Thanks for the quick reply! There really isn't any discharge at all... and she eats, drinks, plays normally. But it was starting to worry me a bit...
  • Jun 27, 2005, 07:52 AM
    l3azzz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koriani
    Hi Luvmyoli,

Yes, it could be allergies. As long as the discharge is clear, there should be no problem.

If the discharge becomes yellow/green and doesn't clear up within 2 days, you might need to visit the vet to get some antibiotic eye ointment.

Also, if the cat stops eating, drinking, etc that could mean there is a fever which is consistant with a virus or bacterial infection.

Regards,

Koriani - my cat came home with serious discharge from here eye and slight swelling - after a visit to the vet she was put on anti biotics and eye drops and in the 2 days since that visit she's remained at home eating very little, sleeping very often and the swelling has gone up slightly around the eye - she is 14 and I don't want to tempt fate but is this usual?
  • Nov 10, 2005, 12:16 AM
    ldylaracrf
    My poor kitty
    My 2 month old kitten had some dirt in her eye and it was watery so I put saline drops in it and the dirt came out. However with in a few minutes it swelled up and got very puffy. She kept rubbing it and it got worse. I then washed it out and put a drop of visine. She is able to open it but it is very swollen, what shouldI do? Did she have an allergic reaction to the saline drops? :confused: :(