Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Interior Home Improvement (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Question about laminate flooring, using 2 diff kinds (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=16378)

• Dec 22, 2005, 03:54 PM
    lbrowne
    Question about laminate flooring, using 2 diff kinds
    Currently our house has a Victorian style laminate floor in the Kitchen. The kitchen floor meets the carpet of the living room in a doorway.

I was was wondering if anyone has used a different type of laminate flooring where it would meet with another room of a different pattern? The kitchen floor is the typical wood colour, lighter brown, and I was thinking of going with a darker finished laminate in the living room, however going with a fdarker brown that somewhat matched the "knots" and "streaks" in the kitchen flooring.

Obviously the laminate would be laid going in the same direcetion as the kitchen. Has anyone done it?
  • Dec 23, 2005, 05:46 AM
    Lotta
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lbrowne
    Currently our house has a Victorian style laminate floor in the Kitchen. The kitchen floor meets the carpet of the living room in a doorway.

I was was wondering if anyone has used a different type of laminate flooring where it would meet with another room of a different pattern? The kitchen floor is the typical wood colour, lighter brown, and I was thinking of going with a darker finished laminate in the living room, however going with a fdarker brown that somewhat matched the "knots" and "streaks" in the kitchen flooring.

Obviously the laminate would be layed going in the same direcetion as the kitchen. Has anyone done it?

Is the only place that the two floors will meet is at the doorway?
  • Dec 23, 2005, 05:52 AM
    RickJ
    I have two different types that meet in my home.

Frankly, I wish I'd have stuck with the same for it all, but installation-wise, there was no problem.

You'll just use one of the border/edge pieces for the place where they meet.
    Your literature should have the various types that they have for covering a place where two surfaces of the same height meet.
  • Dec 23, 2005, 08:09 AM
    lbrowne
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotta

Yup. :) The standard 3 foot opening or whichever it is.
  • Dec 23, 2005, 08:35 AM
    Lotta
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lbrowne

Obviously the laminate would be layed going in the same direcetion as the kitchen. Has anyone done it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lotta

Yup. The standard 3 foot opening or whichever it is.

I would put down the flooring in the other room. If the two floors are the same thickness then there should not be a problem. If you do run into a problem when they meet at the doorway then you can just put in a thresold or transition strip between the two floors.
  • Dec 23, 2005, 08:40 AM
    RickJ
    There you go, Lotta. "Transition Strip" is the term I was missing.
  • Dec 23, 2005, 09:50 AM
    labman
    It is your house, if it looks good to you, do it. It should look as good as the common doorway with 2 different carpets on each side. If you buy the same brand of laminate, you may even be able to interlock the planks at the joint.