Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Bankruptcy & Debt (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Getting refund from debt settlement company (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=292173)

• Dec 14, 2008, 07:05 PM
    goldie_9256
    Getting refund from debt settlement company
    I started with a debt settlement company (GHS Debt Solutions) in Oct 2008. I was desperate and misunderstood "how" they actually negotiate the debts. I am out $1100 and they have informed me that I am not due a refund because it was money "earned". I read the contract and have found that actually, they are owed the first 3rd of the payment, so I really owe them another $1100, but they have terminated the agreement and because I gave them enough notice, they will not take any more money. My question is, should I try to fight to get my $1100 back or just leave it alone? I am afraid they will try to collect the other $1100 if I push it too hard.
  • Dec 14, 2008, 07:08 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goldie_9256 View Post
    I started with a debt settlement company (GHS Debt Solutions) in Oct 2008. I was desperate and misunderstood "how" they actually negotiate the debts. I am out $1100 and they have informed me that I am not due a refund because it was money "earned". I read the contract and have found that actually, they are owed the first 3rd of the payment, so I really owe them another $1100, but they have terminated the agreement and because I gave them enough notice, they will not take any more money. My question is, should I try to fight to get my $1100 back or just leave it alone? I am afraid they will try to collect the other $1100 if I push it too hard.

If push comes to shove - legally - the terms of the Contract will be enforced. If the Contract says you owe $1,100 "no matter what," that's what you will owe.

If you signed a Contract and didn't understand what it said, you will still be bound to it.

(I'm surprised based on what I've read on these debt settlement companies that they are excusing the second payment. I'd consider myself fortunate and run in the opposite direction.)

I just checked them out on the Internet and they have a fairly good rating, a "B" from the Better Business Bureau and not a lot of bad feedback. Some of the others are overwhelming bad.
  • Dec 15, 2008, 02:00 PM
    goldie_9256
    Thanks. I appreciate the input. I think I will run the other way and consider this a loss and stupidity based on my part.
  • Dec 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goldie_9256 View Post
    Thanks. I appreciate the input. I think I will run the other way and consider this a loss and stupidity based on my part.

Don't be so hard on yourself - it's never stupidity if you learn something from the experience, however costly.

Know what might be helpful? If you'd check back now and then. People have questions about these debt reduction companies all the time and about 90% don't believe that there can be problems. You could really be helpful to them.