Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Exterior Home Improvement (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Rain Gutter Question (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=22160)

• Mar 3, 2006, 04:48 PM
    DAVE231
    Rain Gutter Question
    Hi. We're re-roofing our home and will be installing new rain gutters soon. Does anyone have any opinions on the leaf guards or gutter helmet products that are meant to keep debris out of the gutters? Do they work well? We have a lot of trees in the yard and many maples that make a mess in the spring. The roofer wants $3.00 per foot extra to install the product. Is it worth it or is is something we can live without. I say no, but she says yes. If anyone has these on their gutters please let me know what your experience with this has been. Thanks. DAVE.
  • Mar 3, 2006, 05:01 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Which one is he wanting to install, there are several types and styles.
  • Mar 3, 2006, 05:06 PM
    labman
    Quite a few years ago, I put some screens on my gutters for about $.50 a foot. They are arched, come in 3' sections, and clip on to the gutters. They do a fair job, but I still have to clean near the downspouts a couple of times a year. They flip up and it is easy. My church has the Gutter Helmets. Over all, I think they are better. On a really hard rain, they may let some water run over. They are also a big pain when you do have to clean under them, which I do in the one spot at my church.

If your house is properly graded, I would look into the grating things that are supposed to throw the water out away over a large area. The best advice on them would come from somebody that tried them.
  • Mar 4, 2006, 09:07 AM
    fredg
    Hi,
    I have also tried the "screens", about 3 feet long, on our roof gutters. I finally just removed them, because there were not that many leaves blowing around, and it was easier for me to clean them without the screens.
    Best of luck.
  • Mar 4, 2006, 09:44 AM
    extreme42583
    I put screens on my mom's house because she lives in a large wooded area. I purchased them from menards for I think $.75 a foot. They work great hear and have not had any problems with them. I would suggest that if you can do it yourself because they are very easy to install. I would not pay him $3.00 a foot to install. Hope this helps.
  • Mar 4, 2006, 10:03 AM
    nihlan44
    Dear Dave, I don't know if this information is too late, but the Leaf Guard is by far the best. I attended the Home Show in Sacramento and compared every type of system. Most sounded good, but in reality had many draw backs. The Leaf Guard is truly maintenance free and worth every penny. My dad has had this system for many years and loves it. The gutters look good and most important handle lots of water flow. Write back if you have any questions. Good Luck.
  • Mar 4, 2006, 12:47 PM
    DAVE231
    Hi nihlan 44. Thanks for your opinion about the LeafGuard product. It was the one I was thinking about. Just wanted to hear from someone who had no problems with it. Going to a Home Show tomorrow so it'll probably be on display there. Also thank you to all the others who responded. Dave.
  • Mar 5, 2006, 07:27 PM
    nihlan44
    FYI, Other gutter systems will tell you the reason Leaf Guard has 4" down spouts as opposed to the standard size is because of all the debris that gets into the gutter. That is false. It is beause the Leaf Guard System collects so much of the water coming off the roof, that a normal size down spout won't handle the flow. My dad has had Leaf Guard for 7 years. The dog chewed one of the down spouts. Leaf Guard replaced the down spout for free, and flushed the gutters just to see how much debris there was after 7 years. There was less than a hand full. Hope this helps further. Nihlan44
  • Apr 25, 2007, 09:31 AM
    nickable
    I doubt the 4 inch dowmspouts are because LeafGuard collects more water. Obviously the rainfall will be the same regarless of your gutter type and having looked closely at this product I don't see any reaon why LG would collect any more water than a standard gutter. However the bigger the better so I won't fault it.
  • Oct 27, 2007, 12:18 PM
    marycontrite
    Dave,

Did you install Leaf Guard? I am looking into buying that brand and was wondering if you did have them installed and if you are happy with your product?

Mary
  • Oct 29, 2007, 05:54 AM
    KBC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marycontrite
    Dave,

Did you install Leaf Guard? I am looking into buying that brand and was wondering if you did have them installed and if you are happy with your product?

mary

Hi Mary,

All gutter guards have their strengths and weaknesses,as stated above,screens can still let small debris in and you still need to maintain the interior of the gutter annually.

The Leaf Guard( if it is like the product I know of) is a multi rolled surface which allows water to go directly into the gutter by flowing around the curves, not leaving an opening for leaves to get trapped.The only problem I have seen is the build-up of ice at the eaves of the roof where the product is installed,and upon heavy rains the water flows over the edge.Any change in height on the bottom of a roof line will result in water retention, and in winter time this equates to ice.

My suggestion is to get a roofing company, or any handyman that advertises gutter cleaning at this time of the year,I used to do this for years, rates are not all that much, and having a professional looking at the roof line while cleaning is always a good idea,question them about any areas of concern when they are there,it's a free Q & A time for you.

Ken
  • Jan 21, 2009, 10:19 AM
    heatherrros

My gutters used to clog all the time with leaves and pine needles from all the trees around my house. My husband hated getting out the ladder and cleaning them. I finally installed a gutter guard so that we wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. It's called Gutterglove Gutterguard. It's has a stainless steel mesh on an aluminum frame. It looks and feels pretty heavy duty. I ordered it and installed it myself. I am so happy with the way it is preforming. We don't have to clean the gutters anymore. It was well worth the investment and I would recommend it to everyone!
  • Dec 27, 2010, 03:44 PM
    chrish330
    If you haven't used a gutter guard before, I would definitely use Gutterglove gutter protection. I installed it on my home because it keeps out all the leaves, pine needles and even roof sand grit from entering your gutters because it uses a very fine micro mesh for filtering all debris out. I don't have to climb a dangerous ladder to clean out my gutters ever again. Yahoo! You know, they also got the highest rating in a national consumers magazine from testing numerous gutter guards. I just wanted to recommend them and pass on this tip. Here's their website: www.Gutterglove.com.

No more gutter cleaning!