Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Television (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   TV doesn't recognize VCR/DVD combo (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=266950)

• Oct 6, 2008, 11:25 PM
    waterliliq
    TV doesn't recognize VCR/DVD combo
    I bought a small LCD HDTV and hooked it up to my DVD/VCR player but the TV does not seem to connect to it because it always says no signal. I have all the wires that are supposed to be connected from one to the other but I can turn the DVD/VCR player off and the TV will still work wthout it, not supposed to do that.

I have the red, yellow white wires from the TV to the DVD/VCR, plugged in S-Video etc. all connected but now I am wondering do I also need the blue, red and green cables as well to make it work since it is now such a digital world?:(

Don't have that problem with my other TV. Tried to hook it up the same way but the darn thing just doesn't work with it.:mad:
    Any help would be so much appreciated.:)
  • Oct 7, 2008, 06:06 AM
    WallyHelps

I'm not quite sure I understand what you have hooked up, but maybe a brief explanation will help to clear things up. There are four general types of cables to hook up a video device. I will list them here in increasing order of signal quality.

Composite: The lowest quality cable, usually red, white, and yellow, with an RCA phono connection.

S-Video: A single coaxial cable with a 4-pin mini DIN connection. This type of cable gives slightly better quality than composite.

Component: This cable consist of 3 coaxial wires, with RCA phono connectors. The wires are generally colored red, green, and blue.

HDMI: This newest type of connection is digital. As such, it offers the best video quality.

The important thing to note is that you need to hook your DVD/VCR player up using only one of the methods above.

Since you probably don't have HDMI output from your DVD/VCR player, and it sounds like you don't currently own component video (red/green/blue) cables, I would use the S-video method. Note that S-video does not have audio in it, so you will need to use the white and red wires from your composite setup to get audio.

Plug the S-video cable into the appropriate connectors on both the DVD/VCR and the TV. Next, plug the red and white (composite) wires into the DVD/VCR audio OUT connectors (right and left, respectively). Plug the other end of these wires into the corresponding audio IN connectors on the TV.

Now, there should be some way to select what video input the TV is to display. It may be labeled "Input" or "Source" on the remote control, or you may have to go into the menus and select the input or source from there. Select S-video. That should do it. When you want to watch regular TV (i.e. from cable), change the input source to "Cable" or "RF", or whatnot. You may need to refer to your manual for specific wording.

I hope this helps,
    WallyH
  • Oct 7, 2008, 09:17 AM
    waterliliq
    Now, there should be some way to select what video input the TV is to display. It may be labeled "Input" or "Source" on the remote control, or you may have to go into the menus and select the input or source from there. Select S-video. That should do it. When you want to watch regular TV (i.e. from cable), change the input source to "Cable" or "RF", or whatnot. You may need to refer to your manual for specific wording.

I hope this helps,
    WallyH[/QUOTE]

Hi Wally, well I know I have all the connection cables red & white, S-Video all hooked up correctly, I think the problem is with this "Input" on the remote they gave me with the TV, it's different than my other remotes and of course because I can't get the correct Input this is where I am running into trouble.

I press Input and it takes me through :D 03-1, video1,2,3 and this is the problem, I don't know how to get it take me to the place where th DVD/VCR will take over. I am lost here and have never had a problem like this and have set up many TV's with VCR's and Satellite over the years. It's all this new fangled HDTV technology that's got me stumped,lol. I like challenge but this has got me twisted up like a knot.

On my other TV, the remote takes me to either antenna channels or when I press Input it switches me to the Satellite and that's it. I've tried that too. It shouldn't be this hard to set up a TV with a DVD player.

I don't know if you can help me with this Input thing but if you can hugs on you.
  • Oct 7, 2008, 01:35 PM
    WallyHelps
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterliliq View Post
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WallyHelps View Post

I hope this helps,
    WallyH

Hi Wally, well I know I have all the connection cables red & white, S-Video all hooked up correctly, I think the problem is with this "Input" on the remote they gave me with the TV, it's different than my other remotes and of course because I can't get the correct Input this is where I am running into trouble.

I press Input and it takes me through :D 03-1, video1,2,3 and this is the problem, I don't know how to get it take me to the place where th DVD/VCR will take over. I am lost here and have never had a problem like this and have set up many TV's with VCR's and Satellite over the years. It's all this new fangled HDTV technology that's got me stumped,lol. I like challenge but this has got me twisted up like a knot.

On my other TV, the remote takes me to either antenna channels or when I press Input it switches me to the Satellite and that's it. I've tried that too. It shouldn't be this hard to set up a TV with a DVD player.

I don't know if you can help me with this Input thing but if you can hugs on you.

See if the attached picture of the back of my TV helps. There should be where you put the S-video or composite video cables a label (1, 2, or 3) that would correspond to the "video1,2,3" that you mention the Input button cycles you through. Whichever connector set you use would be which "video X" that your DVD player would control. If you use the S-video connector labeled "Input 1", then you should select "Video 1" with your remote, for example.

Don't let the HD technology overwhelm you. First of all, the signal out of your DVD/VCR will NOT be High Def. Also, only component and HDMI connections as I described above are capable of High Def. So don't be bothered about the High Def aspect of all this--it doesn't apply in this situation.

I hope this sheds a little more light on this for you!
    WallyH
  • Oct 7, 2008, 07:52 PM
    waterliliq

Thanks Wally! I don't know how I did it but somehow I got to watch a movie on my DVD player then played an MP3 CD, pressed the Input and was back to watchingTV, BUT... I can shut off the DVD player with no distortion to the TV, I hope that's supposed to be normal,lol. Many, many thanks for your kind replies, Images and help. I am very grateful to you.:D
  • Jul 8, 2011, 05:38 AM
    BananaDink
    So I bought an Insignia 32" LCD HDTV. As far as the set up goes for me. I have all the component cords in the corresponding parts (i.e. there is a little cute picture for me to not dummy this up) All i can see on the component screen is a highlighted bouncing "No Signal" sign. I can hear the music of the dvd screen fine. Does anyone have any ideas why I can't see the dvd menu or in simpler terms the picture!! TV works fine... my dad lives with me so he will look at it but I was basically looking for someone to tell me what they did to fix that. I think I need to rewire using a home theater cord a specific one need for that but our family has never needed it before so I don't necessarily want to spend the extra money for a cord that may not solve the issues at hand.