Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   I'm worried! (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=32823)

• Aug 28, 2006, 09:48 PM
    Owner
    I'm worried!
    My dog is to skinny... I have German Shep she's about 14yrs latly she's been having problems walking up & down the stairs... and when I take her for a walk she falls behind.. wobbly when she walks.. and today she only ate one bowl of food... Can anyone tell me what's going on?
  • Aug 29, 2006, 08:47 AM
    dunno
    It sounds like she's just getting old. I had a black lab and he slowly got skinnier and would fall over if he was bumped a little too hard. He just got old. One day, when he could hardly get up anymore, we knew it was time to let him go. You have to think about their quality of life. Our dog could have lived a little while longer but he couldn't run and jump and play or even get up to go to the bathroom most of the time. We couldn't bare to see him like that and took him to the vet to have him put to sleep. It was very hard and sad but we knew he was in a better place where he could run and play again. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. Think about your dog and what she would want. You'll know when it's time and she will too. Until then, make each second matter.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
    You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.
    We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.
    Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

You should, of course, take her to the vet to get an expert opinion. This is just what I know through my experience of losing two dogs to old age.
  • Aug 29, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Owner
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dunno
    You should, of course, take her to the vet to get an expert opinion. This is just what I know through my experience of losing two dogs to old age.

Thank you for you reply and yes I did call the vet and they too had said the same thing... I'm so sad right now.
  • Aug 29, 2006, 10:47 AM
    dunno
    My thoughts are with you! I know how hard this is. You want to remember her how she was. Happy and playful!
  • Sep 2, 2006, 05:09 AM
    binx44
    German shepards are prone to hip problem,s at older ages that may be her problem. Try making it so she doesn't have to go up any or few stairs, keep a bed downstairs for her and if she is still not eating maybe u should take her to the vet just to check
  • Sep 17, 2006, 11:36 PM
    Owner
    Quote:

Originally Posted by binx44
    german shepards are prone to hip problem,s at older ages that may be her problem. try making it so she doesnt have to go up any or few stairs, keep a bed downstairs for her and if she is still not eating maybe u should take her to the vet just to check

Thank you all... you have been great... But I do have some bad news today

I found my Beautiful Sheperd ( Sayde) in her crate Sunday evening... She died. I can't believe I'm saying this let alone sheing her there. I can't but feel that her death is all my fault. I miss her so much things are so different with you her here.:(
  • Sep 18, 2006, 08:18 AM
    dunno
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. But you shouldn't blame yourself for her death. She's in a better place now.

Beyond The Rainbow

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,
    I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade.
    I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free
    Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side
    Were meadows rich and beautiful -- lush and green and wide!
    And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see
    Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be!
    My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new
    And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do.

I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm all right
    That this place is truly wonderful, then a bright Glow pierced the night.
    'Twas the Glow of many Candles shining bright and strong and bold
    And I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of gold.

For although we may not be together in the way we used to be,
    We are still connected by a cord no eye can see.
    So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart
    If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

Cg - 1995
  • Sep 18, 2006, 09:18 AM
    Melinda
    *hugs* know she's waiting for you across the bridge
    "play well and run fast Sayde"
  • Sep 18, 2006, 06:15 PM
    Owner
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Melinda
    *hugs* know she's waiting for you across the bridge
    "play well and run fast Sayde"

Thank you Melinda and dunno! This is so hard for me I rose Sayde from a puppy... we got her from a breader in WIS... she was a great friend I lover her so much... I'm in the area of house where she sleeps and I keep exspecting her to come up from behind me touching me with her cold wet noise. I wish that I could see her again,. I want my best friend back.:( :( :(
  • Sep 18, 2006, 10:04 PM
    AKaeTrue
    Boy, it's hard losing a beloved pet, but blaming yourself is the last thing you should be doing. 14 years is a ripe old age for a German Shepard indicating that you took very good care of her and that she was a very happy, healthy dog. She was 98 in people years, it was just her time to go.
    Her spirit lives on around you and I'm sure she would only want for you to be happy. God bless and hope you feel better soon.
  • Sep 18, 2006, 10:34 PM
    dtvonfossen
    This seems to be an older post but I just had to add what our vet told us when our large lad mix started having arteritis in her knees. She gave us an anti-inflamitory to help with the pain, put her on a diet to lose weight and told us not to push her too hard. We checked the ingredients in the anti-inflamatory and it was the same as children's asprin (no tylenol! Tylenol is not good for dogs) You have to check the weight restrictions but it is cheaper then the rx and works great. Our dog is 12 years old now and when ever I see she is having problems I get out the children's asprin. She is better in about 30 minutes. We got her from a shelter when she was one year old.
  • Sep 19, 2006, 06:03 AM
    Lianne20
    I had a white german shepherd, Zak, who was the most lovable, gentle giant you could ever wish to meet.
    He got very ill, his back legs kept giving way and the vet had to come and put him to sleep, I couldn't even watch. He was only 10.
    I know what you're going through, its so so hard. Keep loads of photos around you and remember the good times. I know nothing will ever replace your pet, but have you thought about getting another dog?
    We now have another german shepherd and a jack russell! Very odd pair!
    My thoughts are with you. Hope you feel a little better soon.
  • Sep 19, 2006, 06:54 AM
    BIM
    I know this is an older post, but I am responding anyway. My hear goes out to you:( The animal lover I am can totally appreciate the sadness your heart is feeling and the emptiness that goes with it. I am sure you were a wonderful owner and gave you dog the best life she could possibly want. I have a black lab and three cats and cannot imagine going through this yet. I know in time it will have to happen and I will cross that bridge when it comes.

Just remember she is in a wonderful place running, jumping, and looking down on you. :p
  • Sep 19, 2006, 09:03 AM
    VLynn123
    My heart goes out to you. It's tough losing a pet aka a family member. When I had to put my dog to sleep years ago, I just kept telling myself that he's no longer in pain, and is in a happy place right now. After awhile, I was able to talk about him and smile and remember all the happy times.
  • Sep 19, 2006, 09:11 AM
    dunno
    The first time we put a dog to sleep we got another puppy named Beau about a month later. When we put Beau to sleep we already had another dog. To me, it was easier to get through it by having another dog. We didn't think of it as replacing our old friend. But there's something so comforting about having a dog. Having the other dog there, helped ease the pain of losing not only our friend but his friend as well. Dogs always seem to know when something is wrong and it's so nice to have them to hug and cuddle with. Going from having a dog to having no dog is a big change. I know it may be too soon for you, but maybe consider getting another dog. I got 2 of my pets from the shelter and they're the most loving animals I've ever had. Just a thought...