Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Strong urine smell (new house) (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=7536)

• Jan 31, 2005, 08:24 PM
    jennchip
    Strong urine smell (new house)
    I have a new home that was built in 2002/2003. For the past year, there is a strong musty/urine smell in the guest bathroom. This bathroom is used regularly. It is also very clean. The only thing that I can figure is that it is right next to where the lift station is buried. Could this be true? :confused:
  • Feb 1, 2005, 07:34 AM
    speedball1
    Strong urine smell (new house)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jennchip
    I have a new home that was built in 2002/2003. For the past year, there is a strong musty/urine smell in the guest bathroom. This bathroom is used regularly. It is also very clean. The only thing that I can figure is that it is right next to where the lift station is buried. Could this be true? :confused:

Hi Jenn,
    Define "lift station". Are you saying this is a basement bathroom with a holding tank and a sewerage pump lifting it up to the main or are you saying the utilities company has a holding tank with a pumping station, that lifts and pumps it into the treatment plant, that is situated next to the bathroom? It sounds like the latter but the term "lift station" covers many meanings. I'll wait on your reply. Tom
  • Feb 1, 2005, 07:19 PM
    jennchip
    Thank you for pointing that out. What I mean by "lift station," is that the city utilities pumps our waste to a treatment plant.
  • Feb 1, 2005, 08:25 PM
    labman
    Tom may need more details. Your sewage flows out to a pump buried outside the house and is pumped to the city sewers?
  • Feb 1, 2005, 09:43 PM
    jennchip
    I am sorry. Yes. We have a pump located/buried outside of our house. From there, our sewage is pumped to the city waste. I do not know a lot about this device, but I know our builder called it a "lift station" and that our property was located too low for a septic tank (florida residence). This is why we have a lift station. I hope this makes better sense.
  • Feb 2, 2005, 06:04 AM
    speedball1
    Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jennchip
    I am sorry. Yes. We have a pump located/buried outside of our house. From there, our sewage is pumped to the city waste. I do not know a lot about this device, but I know our builder called it a "lift station" and that our property was located too low for a septic tank (florida residence). This is why we have a lift station. I hope this makes better sense.

I sure do understand Jenn, I live in Sarasota and our lift station's 8 houses away. Have you contacted your utilities company and complained? If so, what was their response? Lift stations are vented. It's quite possible that when the wind is right that the odor blows back at your house. See if the utilities will come out and check your complaint. Then get back to me, Tom