Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Weight Loss (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=353)
-   -   Low carb diet (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=5812)

• Jan 29, 2004, 12:54 PM
    scorpion56
    Low carb diet
    Hi! I've been preparing to go on a low carb diet;but most of the recipes I find that need a flour are calling for all kinds of nut flours eg;almond etc. I'm ALLERGIC to NUTS! Is there any alternative?Got to get off the refined white flour. Thanks Robin
  • Feb 8, 2004, 09:34 AM
    sunnydaize
    Re: Low carb diet
    I have done the low carb thing about 4 times now, I just avoided flour all together and ate a lot of plain meat,no casseroles... granted it's a little boring but it works... good luck :)
  • Jun 22, 2004, 02:55 PM
    thouvie
    Optimum nutrition has a product that is protein baking powder. They sell it at gnc. 19.99 for 2lbs pricey but good
  • Sep 19, 2004, 04:04 PM
    sammyh1961
    You don't need to go on a low carb diet just eat low carb foods. Wheat is better than white in flour also. The product in my website helps curb your cravings for sugar and carbs you should check it out. I went from 220 in feb down to 160 in sept just from using this product for other problems which are listed in my site . Wasn't even trying to loose weight. Gave up years ago on all their diets as I can never stick to them. This is no preparation and no planning and no special buying foods. You eat pretty much what you normally do. I liked this product so much I set up my own web site to help other people lose their weight. I think everyone should be given that chance.
    http://groups.msn.com/THEFIBROMYALGIAEXPERIENCE
  • Mar 1, 2006, 02:48 PM
    RWeyer
    I too have been dieting on this low-carb plan and it sucks! It is soooo boring. :eek: But you know what? It works. :D Today is my 8th day and I've lost 7 lbs. Just stay away from the flours and the breaded meets (fried chicken) altogether. Just season your meat with a few simple spices (lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder, salt, & pepper) and eat it. It really isn't that bad if you are determined to lose weight. Good luck and I'm rooting for you 100%. I surely KNOW what it's like to want to lose weight and can't. Hang in there!
    Robin
  • May 1, 2006, 12:01 PM
    jc105
    I agree with most of what was said.

I stopped eating sugar and white/potato bread and that makes a huge difference. The plain meats aren't that bad. Good seasoning and mixed vege's with a steak, or grilled chicked. Good stuff. Honestly people bread is good, but it really has a lack of flavor. Trust me, stop eating sugar and any bread, I do a bacon and egg on rye sandwich most mornings, but only after about a month of dieting. I had just starved myself until then (Bad Idea according to the net). Anyway, its not hard to avoid carbs. Just don't have them available, no soda, no chips, nothing like that. Once they are not around its much easier to snack on other stuff. Oh and remember, just because you hated vege's and fruits as a kid doesn't mean they taste bad, people just reward children incorrectly, it is my belief that food IS NOT A REWARD. Money is, we are capitalist (Atleast here in the states), so reward as such, and stop with the McD's birthday parties, its disgusting that people reward kids with heart disease.
  • Jun 8, 2006, 04:14 AM
    YJKARIES
    I lost 45 lbs on Atkins and now am on the South Beach Way of Eating or WOE. I avoided all flours completely instead opting for veggies, leaner meats, dairy. Now on SB I just avoid sugar, white flour, white starches and am losing still (20 lbs to go).
  • Jul 12, 2010, 05:46 AM
    newton10
    Ingredients:
    1. 1½ pounds red stalks of rhubarb
    2. 1½ quarts ripe strawberries
    3. ½ teaspoon butter or margarine
    4. 6 cups sugar
    5. 6 ounces liquid pectin

Method

1. Wash and cut rhubarb into 1-inch pieces and blend or grind.
    2. Wash, stem and crush strawberries, one layer at a time, in a saucepan.
    3. Place both fruits in a jelly bag or double layer of cheesecloth and gently squeeze out juice.
    4. Measure 3 cups of juice into a large saucepan.
    5. Add butter and sugar, thoroughly mixing into juice. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
    6. Immediately stir in pectin.
    7. Bring to a full rolling boil and boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.
    8. Remove from heat, quickly skim off foam and fill hot, sterile jars, leaving inch head space.
    9. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids.
    10. Process for 5 minutes in boiling water bath.

For more Low Carb recipes you can visit
    http://www.recipecraze.com/considerations/low-carb/
  • Jul 13, 2010, 08:04 AM
    Eileen G

The basic low carb diet does not include bread or cake or anything else using ordinary or low carb flour. Learn to eat meals that do not include bread and bread substitute.

I'm a huge fan of low carb diets, and I have never made anything using a low carb or nut flour.

Instead of bread or bread substitutes, eat more salads and green vegetables.